IGNORED

Amarra Is Offically A Thing of the Past.....Thanks To Pure Vinyl's New Pure Music for just $99

Thats right, the makers of Pure Vinyl just came out with Pure Music.

Many say Pure Vinyl sounds just as good IF NOT BETTER than Amarra, now Pure Music is Pure Vinyl without the Vinyl. Head to Head with Amarra at a 1/10th of the cost. And a Special Introductory Price of only $79

pmhighrezintro.jpg

Pure Music

Compare

But no Tiger (OSX 10.4) support?

Ugh!

2.26 GHz Mac Mini (Late 2009), 8 GB RAM, 2 External Seagate 7200 RPM 1TB / Firewire 800/ Wavelength Wavelink/ Berkeley Audio Alpha DAC / Nordost Blue Heaven IC / Musical Fidelity KW 750 / Nordost Blue Heaven Speaker cable/ Magnepan MG 3.6r with MYE stands / Custom purpose built listening room

I've been running Pure Vinyl(Music) and Amarra back to back for some time.

IMHO Pure Vinyl(Music) has gone markedly backwards recently whilst Amarra continues to get better, true $79 is a great price but XXHighend costs Euro70 or so and allegedly trumps both.

Exciting times this, can't wait to see if Amarra twists or sticks....

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers

XXHighend costs Euro70 or so and allegedly trumps both.

HAHAHA, Who said that? Peter???

If you can get XX to work, it is on par with cPlay at best....either way nothing on a PC will sound as good as a Mac or a Linux set up. I know because I have all three....and every piece of software available for all of them.

Anyways, as with everything YMMV and its all about synergy etc. etc. blah blah blah.

Have fun...

What "Methods" are you referring too?

Software, room, computer CPU etc., Music, Single Blind, Double Blind???

What I can tell you is over the course of several years I have built several machines for both Linux and PC, installed every available music software I could find on each and optimized the machines to the level of RAM timings and CPU voltages. During the last year or so Mac has joined which as too optimized with SSD, better RAM etc. and outfitted with every piece of music software. I listen to all 3 on a regular basis and have come to the conclusion that in my room, with my gear, to my ears nothing on a PC will sound as good as a Mac or a Linux set up.

Thank you for the information. What cast of hardware I/O do you use to make the comparisons?

Do you implement USB, Firewire, S/PDIF, AES, Ethernet, or perhaps all when making these judgments? If I may inquire, which DAC(s) do you use?

Perhaps there are procedures I ignored when conducting similar comparisons. If you can share your reference digital front end I wish to implement your ideas into systems out here on the west coast noting, at this time, RME and Lynx are the only two AES hardware I/Os ready to go using Linux.

Regards,

Tim Marutani

Emeryville, CA

I am curious about sonic quality of Mac compared to Windows 7. In your above post you wrote that "to my ears nothing on a PC will sound as good as a Mac "

But on your website, you wrote:

"Sound wise Mac and Linux are more analytical than Windows. All can be enjoyable to listen to with the right associated equipment. Making a hard stand for one is nearly impossible because sound is too subjective..."

Can you please clarify?

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

Guest WATERLOGIC

I checked your website.

You are using TC Konnekt8 DAC/Clock .

As far as I understand this is sound/card interface which upsamles everything being sent through it to 32bit / 192 kHz, right ?

If correct, what do you need an auto-sample-detection software (Amarra, Pure Sound etc.) for ?

Also, TC Konnekt8 DAC/Clock being a sound card - is it possible to fix the bit/kHz rate when making a recording (mic, etc) ?

Regards

WL

"Sound wise Mac and Linux are more analytical than Windows. All can be enjoyable to listen to with the right associated equipment. Making a hard stand for one is nearly impossible because sound is too subjective..."

Can you please clarify?

Its just that simple, the interpretation of what sounds good is up to the listener, you be the judge as to what sounds good to you...although all can be enjoyable, to my ears PC does not sound as good as a Mac or Linux.

I don't know how many other ways I can say it.....

As far as I understand this is sound/card interface which upsamles everything being sent through it to 32bit / 192 kHz, right ?

WRONG...its not a sound card and it does not upsample everything to 32bit/192

Also, TC Konnekt8 DAC/Clock being a sound card - is it possible to fix the bit/kHz rate when making a recording (mic, etc) ?

What is your definition of a "Soundcard"? FYI, Soundcards "PLUG" into motherboards. Also I don't record so I cant answer your question

BTW, I am using a Modded Valab DAC, very similar to this [upgraded to Blackgate caps, bypassed resistor]except I added a Furutech IEC inlet for A/C and soldered my IC's directly to the circuit board. The TC Konnekt is used as a means of Firewire out and to reclock to digital out to very low levels of jitter before it reaches the DAC. The result, further clarity, smoothness and depth of soundstage. I normally listen to 24/88.2.

I wouldn't listen to anyone talking about the SQ of XXHE unless they've tried it in Kernel Streaming 'Adaptive' mode, with Quad Arc Prediction upsampling, through a soundcard/interface/DAC that allows low latency.

A 16-bit DAC (Valab) won't allow Quad Arc Prediction. A firewire DAC (TC Konnect 8) won't have a low enough latency.

XXHE provides the best digital sound I've heard. Period.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

Dynobot asked... "Why all the comments and questions about my personal philosophy and feelings about operating systems and equipment?"

Well you did post a quite inflammatory statement about Amarra in the title of the message. People are just asking you to back up your statements you made later.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Guest WATERLOGIC

In the meantime I checked the specs for your soundcard . It is a firewire soundcard like Edirol FA 66 (which is more capable, btw) and many others. And the specs say it upsamples everything that comes in ??

Soundcard : has ADC and DAC. In types as yours and mentioned FA 66 (semi pro) the DAC part is in most cases too average for a judgement that OS X sounds better than Windows etc.

I suppose people are asking you so much, maybe they wonder if you know what are you doing, as I do ?

WL

A 16-bit DAC (Valab) won't allow Quad Arc Prediction. A firewire DAC (TC Konnect 8) won't have a low enough latency.

The Valab is 24bit and the latency on the Konnekt can be very low.

However, I have owned a LavryDA10, MDHT Havana, as well as a RME Fireface DAC.

I sold them all for a reason....your RME is too Digital for my tastes for example.

The latency of the Konnect CANNOT be very low. It uses a DICE chip, like my Weiss. This is probably why you're having diffculties getting XXHE to work properly. it's nothing to do with XXHE.

So you've heard an RME AES-32 feeding a Model Two have you?

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

I was a bit surprised at Dynobots comments about XXHE.

For the record I am not a spokesperson for Peter, he can do that for himself and frequently does, which is great.

I have found XXHE to be a quite exceptionally fine player, like some other previous posters I am also less than convinced by the DACs Dynobot uses as a 'reference points'.

Valabs and MDHT Havanas are fine bits of kits, but even with the snake oil of 'upgrades' they may not be state of the art, so may not be the best implements to makes such emphatic judgements on the capability of software.

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers

I don't know if you guys are insane or just being trolls.

I have said it 1,000 times if not more

Its just that simple, the interpretation of what sounds good is up to the listener, you be the judge as to what sounds good to you...although all can be enjoyable, to my ears PC does not sound as good as a Mac or Linux.

So if this means everyone MUST like XXHE to you then so be it....there is nothing more to talk about concerning XXHE.

As far as the DAC's I have owned and choose to use....that is my choice and the choice of many who listen and find that NOS DAC's with TDA1543 chips are very musical. As far as being State of the Art, you will not hear any such claims by me....but any owner of Wavelength DAC's and other DAC's that use the chip are probably happy. Once again YOU BE THE JUDGE AS TO WHAT SOUNDS GOOD TO YOU.....

So you guys, Love Peter and his software so much that anyone who does not give it praise will be under attack...LOL cute. Such loyalty.

Anyways, this thread is SUPPOSED to be about Pure Music software for Mac, not some software for a PC. So read the News, decide if you want it or not and more on... Download it and try it and YOU BE THE JUDGE as to how it sounds to you, with your system, in your room, with your ears.

LOL....Geezzz you guys are truly borderline...

I totally agree with Dynobot. Given the inumerable differences in systems, rooms, preferences, etc., how can we all agree on everyting all of the time?

The fact is Amarra, PureVinyl, and XXHIGHEND are all fine programs.

Wavelength Silver Crimson/Denominator USB DAC, Levinson 32/33H, Synergistic Research Cables and AC cables, Shunyata Hydra V-Ray II with King Cobra CX cable, Wilson Sasha WP speakers with Wilson Watch Dog Sub. Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable/ Grahm Phantom/Koetsu Jade Platinum. MacBook Pro 17\" 2.3GHz Quad Core i7, 8GB RAM, Pure Music, Decibel, Fidelia, AudioQuest Diamond USB Cable.

The fact is Amarra, PureVinyl, and XXHIGHEND are all fine programs.

Sure are....In fact I never said they were not.

My "Crime" was that I said XXHE is on par with cPlay.

I wonder how many here has actually compared the two to think their beloved XXHE is head and shoulders above cPlay. Fact is, the different versions of each software sounds different from one rev to the next.

Yup, they all do sound different. My preference for this week: OSX Snow Leopard with Pure Vinyl. There-I said it!

Wavelength Silver Crimson/Denominator USB DAC, Levinson 32/33H, Synergistic Research Cables and AC cables, Shunyata Hydra V-Ray II with King Cobra CX cable, Wilson Sasha WP speakers with Wilson Watch Dog Sub. Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable/ Grahm Phantom/Koetsu Jade Platinum. MacBook Pro 17\" 2.3GHz Quad Core i7, 8GB RAM, Pure Music, Decibel, Fidelia, AudioQuest Diamond USB Cable.

My preference for this week: OSX Snow Leopard with Pure Vinyl. There-I said it!

Oh Oh, here come the ATTACKS.....LOL

People act as it you MUST have some sort of loyalty to software. As if ONLY using one means you are better or more "Golden Eared" than others. Fact is you can have MANY favorites and you can use different softwares or OS's as you see fit, as the mood strikes you...which is why I have all 3 in one room.

I switch between, Mac/PureMusic, Linux/MPD-or-ALSAPlayer, and Windows/JRiver-or-Foobar-or-cPlay....or any other software that I want to listen too from week to week, or sometimes from day to day or hour to hour.

Just like I said on my website

All can be enjoyable to listen to with the right associated equipment. Making a hard stand for one is nearly impossible because sound is too subjective...

But somehow because of the nature of loyalty to one software this statement seemed confusing....how can ALL of them be enjoyable? Wow what a strange concept.

I remember some time ago after I suggested to the JRiver people to develop something to support WASAPI [yep that was me who convinced them to make it WASAPI compatible]. I suggested other features and was attacked and immediately discredited by a "Loyal" JRiver user, who made it known that I use and try "Other Players" and should not be listened too.

"A couple of weeks ago, you were lobbying for Wasapi support. Then you were lobbying for a Linux version. Now you are lobbying for a stripped down audiophile version. The reality is that you aren't actually going to use any of these for long before you look for the next new thing to try."

Agree with Dynobot. There is no best, only preferences. Fair enough there is a leading pack but one persons best dac ever is Pacific Microsonics Model 2, anothers might be a DCS stack, anther MBL. At the level these players are operating you are talking basically about preference. Look at TAS, they allow their journos to have differences of opinion about what sounds best. That is the right attitude IMO, not 'one answer is the only answer'.

I am all for competition in music software, it will bring down price and increase quality. Only having Amarra as an option isn't going to really make companies focus on improvement. Capitalism, got to love it ;)

Nyal Mellor, Acoustic Frontiers LLC.