IGNORED

Amarra Is Offically A Thing of the Past.....Thanks To Pure Vinyl's New Pure Music for just $99

Well oddly it says it's 1.2.1 – apparently it plays FLAC too, haven't tried that yet.

best

John

Desktop: SonicTranporter i7, Ubiquiti switch, optical, OpticalRendu, Musician Pegasus, Linear Tube MicroZOTL 3, ZMF Verite Open

Main: SonicTransporter i7, Uniquiti switch, optical, EtherRegen, Lumin U1, Bricasti M3, Naim 252/250, DeVore Gibbon Nines

Yes, you're right. It's 3216.

Best

John

Desktop: SonicTranporter i7, Ubiquiti switch, optical, OpticalRendu, Musician Pegasus, Linear Tube MicroZOTL 3, ZMF Verite Open

Main: SonicTransporter i7, Uniquiti switch, optical, EtherRegen, Lumin U1, Bricasti M3, Naim 252/250, DeVore Gibbon Nines

I am finding Amarra to be louder playing the same song without touching the volume.

\"It would be a mistake to demonize any particular philosophy. To do so forces people into entrenched positions and encourages the adoption of unhelpful defensive reactions, thus missing the opportunity for constructive dialog\"[br] - Martin Colloms - stereophile.com

You're right on that, Dave. It's a bit disturbing; I feel completely satisfied. What would become of the industry if audiophiles were to feel satisfied? The final link was putting a Naim HiLine between the Weiss and the pre-amp. Since then everything has seemed, well, perfect. I know that there are a dozen theoretical upgrades possible for the amps, but I shan't lose sleep, and the speakers bring out the hopeless fetishist in me. They are beautiful and sound beautiful. I have heard a system much like mine with the top Quad electrostatics, and the DeVores absolutely trounced them, finesse as well as ass-kickery.

Best

John

John,

Refreshing to hear about someone who actually knows what they want and has it. Cool. John DeVore knows his stuff and has a wonderful approach or musicality over all else - thought the speakers do the 'all else' rather well too.

Dave Clark[br]Editor, Positive Feedback Online

• 3 weeks later...

pure music est un excellent serveur numerique, il a certes une présentation beaucoup moins high end que amarra, et, il manque de stabilité (ça c ennuyeux) mais le son est excellent et j ai une meilleure définition dans les graves et dans les aigus, soit aux deux extrémités du spectre. le peu que j ai pu écouter du système amarra m a paru excellent mais leur politique d essai est trop restrictive et les morceaux coupés en rondelles c intolèrable. par contre il y a des bugs sur pure music et ètre obligé de redemmarer tous les deux morceaux est assez pénible.

for me pure vinyl 2 ama®®a 0

macbook pro borne zardoz amp miniwatt thiel cs 1.6

ffelden1

i think that pure music is better and cheaper than amarra. but when you use it, you have the feeling of a beta version. design is poor, for a poor french boy, the user guide is very hard to understand, the sense of gapless recording and the use of memory is not very simple. and i send three or four mail to the customer service and got no answer; but for the first time i can ear the basses of the first song of last massive attack

best regards ffelden1

ffelden1

I confirm, I had at least 20 to 30 exchanges of mail with Rob 2 weeks ago to fix a problem where PM was pausing between tracks, and he is hyper responsive.

It's obvious that there is much more adjustments in PM than in Amarra, but that increased flexibility is also probably opening doors to further improvements.

I can admit it may take some time for a French to get used to it and to understand the manual. But in fact, there's just a few things to master, and as said in the preamble, PM is ready to work out of the box.

P.S. I'm French too !

Conseil : vous embêtez pas avec les réglages et préférences, lancez-le et écoutez. Le seul point important est de cocher "memory read" :o)

• Flying NOE - Driving CJ & JK - Listening Technics - B&W •

hello

i think i found the reason of my PM bugs, i have download amarra's demo and PM's demo the same day, and i also download the amarra's plug in. after my choice for PM, i uninstall amarra , but the plug in stay in PM program and i think it s one reason of the

the crashes. is there an idea to throw this plug in to the dustbin? I have desinstalled i tunes, snowleopard with no result.

best regards

mac book pro ->borne zardoz-> miniwatt amp->thiel cs 16

`

ffelden1

On my Mac, Amarra and its plug-in works seamlessly together with PM and I can change from one to the other without crash. Try to delete the preferences of PM, if it doesn't solve the problem, also delete those of Amarra ....

• Flying NOE - Driving CJ & JK - Listening Technics - B&W •

• 2 months later...

I discovered Pure Music Player when someone mentioned it on another forum. Thing is, I don't really know if it will benefit me. I'm trying to figure out what it is and what it does but there's so much written about it here, and pretty technical it is too, that I can't figure it out.

Could someone summarise what it is and if it could help me?

I have a Mac playing (mostly) ALAC tunes through an Airport Express directly into an Audiolab 8000S amp (no DAC as yet)

Thanks

oh, I meant to say, if the website is anything to go by, then I won't get my hopes up. It's like something a kid at school would do.

Intel iMac C2D, iTunes>ALAC>Airport Express, Audiolab 8000CD player, Audiolab 8000S amp, Dynaudio Audience 42 speakers, Chord Rumour speaker cable, Mark Grant Interconnects, Grado SR80\'s, Sennheiser PX100\'s, 5G iPod

"I have a Mac playing (mostly) ALAC tunes through an Airport Express directly into an Audiolab 8000S amp (no DAC as yet)"

There is no benefit to using Pure Music (or Amarra) if you are using an AirPort Express.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 1 month later...

Just want to share my experience. I am using a macbook/itunes to feed the new Arcam rDac via USB with lossless audio (redbook or higher). Without adding Amarra or Pure Music the result is already on par with my Arcam CD-player. But adding Amarra (2.0 mini demo version) makes a big, big difference. More detail and much more depth and broadness in soundstage. The real surprise to me was that Pure Music (demo also) didn't enhance the sound quality at all or not noticeable for me.

Alex

I have had better results with PM in my system. Did you use PM in memory playback with hog mode?

Glad you are enjoying the sound!

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Same here. Pure Music sounds better on my system - I have it configured for HOG and memory mode. I go back and forth on using the upsampling. On some material it sounds better and on others not.

Mac Mini / Pure Music > Firewire & USB > Metric Halo LIO-8 > Hypex NCORE 400 > Geddes Abbey Speakers > Rythmik Servo & Geddes Band Pass Subs // DH Labs Cables, HRS MXR Isolation Rack, PurePower 2000, Elgar 6006B

Didn't know the hog feature until now. It certainly makes a difference. But.... after an A/B comparison back and forth Amarra remains a tad better in soundstaging on my system. Speakers are 'disappearing' more. The music is more involving. Is it possible that the async way of working of the rDac causes the difference?

Alex

I just started experimenting with the demos of the 2 apps. Amarra seems to have the edge on stability and integration (I can't scrub by dragging the play head or use the FF/RW buttons in PM, but with Amarra I can), but I think I am gravitating towards PM in terms of sound quality for my system. The HOG & memory modes seem to improve things some. The PM site says that Amarra requires iTunes to play in tancem with Amarra - so both apps are actually playing the file at the same time, only iTunes is muted. It seems like this it less than ideal - I don't know, maybe neither app really taxes the system enough for it to become an issue, but I use my computer for other system intensive work related tasks while listening, so this seems like a liability.

The Fusion & Instrumental Music Forum: http://fuze-zone.com/

If Amarra sounds better to you in your system, then you have your answer-not every system will be the same, and neither will listeners sonic preferences. As long as you have demoed PM with Memory Play, and Hog mode, you have given it a fair chance.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

[i can't scrub by dragging the play head or use the FF/RW buttons in PM]

Check Pure Music's “Manually Adjustable” iTunes Interaction preference (in Music Server Settings->Basic), and you’ll find that iTunes scrubbing and the skip forward and skip backwards buttons will work. (This preference was inadvertently disabled by default - our mistake - in the Pure Music 1.6 distribution.)

Rob Robinson

Channel D