IGNORED

CLOCKS, what should we look for in next generation

31 minutes ago, mansr said:

Atomic clocks and extreme temperature stability just don't make sense for audio purposes. Nobody will notice if the clock drifts a few hundred ppm over the course of an hour.

While not important I also haven't found very much drift. 

I recently acquired an Antelope Audio interface.  They have their fancy Oven clocks.  One of their trademark features.  I wanted it for other features, but of course don't mind.  They have the hoopla about < 1 ppm aging per year, stability of +/- .02 ppm and calibration of +/- .001 ppm.  None of which tells me anything definitive about short term phase noise. 

In a week vs another interface it varied by 4-5 ppb.  Meaning both were at least this stable or the much more unlikely case of them both varying over time almost exactly the same amount.  

I have hooked up other interfaces and weeks apart they vary at most by a few ppm usually not that much.  Some of them vary from one another by more than 100 ppm in basic clock speed, but the variance over time is not very large at all.   So I should be smart and start a company to fix this non-issue for audiophiles.  Creativity can be furthered when you are developing gear to fix issues not broken. Success would be guaranteed judging by history. 

beerandmusic already believes.  He doesn't know why he believes.  He does believe.  He doesn't understand what this would do for him, but he believes.  Belief is enough.  He doesn't know what bad clocking would sound like, but believes better clocking would sound........better. 

To paraphrase John Lennon: All you need is belief. Belief is all you need.

Facts???  What can you do with Facts?????????  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

2 hours ago, davide256 said:

Don't get caught up in all the tech hoopla.. what matters is what can be heard. 30 years ago tech pundits were claiming we didn't need anything better than a Denon or a Technics direct drive for vinyl turntables, that belt drive, suspension products like Linn or Sota couldn't improve analog playback. The science of audio rarely keeps up with the art of audio.

I'm calling BS on this because that is what it is.  BS, revisionist history.  Your description is not what happened.  

If you disagree with the opinion on current streamers fine, don't put out crappy misinformation about the past doing so. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

8 hours ago, davide256 said:

I lived it... apparently you weren't born, or were outside the audiophile community at the time. Or perhaps worked for one of the businesses selling Denon turntables?

Negative on all counts.  

I was alive too, and remember no industry wide campaign to discredit belt drive.  For that matter if you ever had the pleasure of hearing a Micro Seiki (the model with up to three tonearms) you can hear that not all direct drive was inferior to belt.  Plenty of marketing by of course big companies selling direct drive.  Not the same thing as you imply.