IGNORED

The Paul Hynes SR7

Has anyone who received tracking info for their SR4 last week received their unit yet?

Zenith SE > USPCB (5v off) > tX-USBultra 9V (SR4) > Sablon Reserva Elite USB > M Scaler > WAVE Stream bnc > DAVE > Prion4/Lazuli Reference > Utopia/LCD-4/HE1000se

2 hours ago, octaviars said:

UPS has lost my SR4. Was supposed to be delivered on Monday but last nown tracking was in Glasgow last Friday. 

I’m sorry to hear that.  On the bright side, most often in these cases the package only gets stuck in limbo for 2-3 days before things get going again.  Hopefully, you’ll have it by the end of the week.

Zenith SE > USPCB (5v off) > tX-USBultra 9V (SR4) > Sablon Reserva Elite USB > M Scaler > WAVE Stream bnc > DAVE > Prion4/Lazuli Reference > Utopia/LCD-4/HE1000se

12 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Paul shared a fascinating glimpse of how remote his home and workplace (the Isle of South Uist in the Outer Hebrides) are with me - and to others who asked too, I'm sure. The shipping path is tortuous, even in this modern day!

I had intended to use the Royal Mail International tracked and signed service for the SR4 as it is relatively low cost and it is the only service from the island that goes to the mainland via a mail plane daily (barring sea fog of hurricane conditions). Transit is usually 3 to 6 working days to most destinations. Unfortunately the packed weight of the SR4 parcel turned out to be over 2Kg limit so this service cannot be used for the SR4.

Instead all SR4 power supplies from November production have been shipped out via the UPS express service.

Service wise we are located on the outer rim of the universe here and all the carriers who service the Western Isles designate the area as a sparsely populated remote location and they do not have offices on the islands. Instead they use local forwarding agents who traverse the island several times a week. The collections then go to North Uist  (three islands away) for ferry transit to the Isle of Skye. They then proceed via road to Inverness where they are then sent to an International Hub, where the carriers are located. This is where tracking starts, once UPS have the parcel from their forwarding agent. Transit from here to a Hub can take between 3 to 6 working days depending on weather conditions. Ferries can be cancelled in winter if the weather is bad, as they cannot birth during storm conditions.

Once tracking begins, transit should be speedy, as I use the express service to avoid additional delays once in the main system.

In my case, it took a whole week for the package to reach from his island to UPS in Inverness on Monday. It is now in Philadelphia (as per the UPS tracking), and scheduled for delivery (in TX) tomorrow.

Wow!  It says a lot for the quality of Paul Hynes power supplies that so many people are content to right off the almost mandatory delivery delays as a small price to pay to get their hands on one.

I’m looking forward to hearing initial impressions from early adopters and am particularly interested in views on how it compares to an LPS-1.

1 hour ago, tapatrick said:

My SR4 arrived, shipped yesterday... 1 day to deliver to London :). Thanks Paul!

I will try it out over Xmas

IMG_4013.thumb.JPG.71ba8fb30887cf3a37190a7b957310c4.JPGIMG_4014.thumb.JPG.1563e19005a2296e233b95b969714a77.JPG

One day delivery!!!  Given the normal route Paul’s packages take, as described by austinpop earlier, I’d love to know how this one got through so quickly.  Are we talking specially chartered helicopters/planes etc?

Anyway, great news for you.  Did you go for the silver dc lead?  

We’re all looking forward to your first report, but will fully understand if you choose not to give testing the SR4 top priority over xmas?

• 3 weeks later...

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, tims said:

Yes, I was wondering about this as well.  If this is the case then perhaps Amir may have more chance of finding a buyer for his SR7.

I’m not sure I remember this correctly but I thought Paul mentioned somewhere that he was taking no more custom/SR7 orders until he had cleared the backlog.  So it could be just a temporary thing.

Just now, rickca said:

Here is what I got directly from Paul when I inquired about placing a new SR7 order:

I am sorry to have to disappoint you but I have closed the Custom Build service to new orders.  

Whilst I have committed personally to ensuring all the outstanding Custom Build orders are completed, I have no interest in continuing with Custom Build once the backlog is cleared.

Well that’s pretty clear on custom builds.  But what about standard(ish) SR7s?

6 hours ago, jelt2359 said:

As one of the happy 29, I must admit I knew for a while that Paul was planning to wind down the custom business.

A lot of people will be disappointed but a part of me is relieved he is doing this.  

He’s a nice guy who I’ve had a couple of very pleasant and informative telephone conversations with, and others who have had chance to speak with him (e.g. Roy/romaz) speak very highly of him.  But it is clear he has been having a tough time of it recently with family health and business issues and it was becoming increasingly clear that meeting the demand for custom build SR7s with the resources he has was unsustainable.

I’m a little envious of those of you who have an SR7, but in truth I would probably never have ordered one.  Having ditched my multiple small box system for an Innuos Zenith SE, I’m now only looking for something really good to power the tx-USBultra I plan to get to replace my ISO Regen.  The SR4 I have on order should do the trick.

• 8 months later...

@paulhynesthanks for the update.  Sorry to hear about the various problems you’ve had recently and I hope things soon start falling back into place for you.  Life is all about constantly changing priorities and I think those of us still on the waiting list for custom builds all fully understand that you have more important things to take care of first.  Best wishes.

4 hours ago, spotforscott said:

For those who have a PH SR7, have you experimented with different AC Powercords? 

It will be a few more months before I get my SR7 but I did have a few power cables on loan recently to try with my DAVE, Zenith SE and SR4.  As Audio Bacon and @austinpopreported, the SR4 does benefit significantly from a better power cable.  There were differences between the cables I tried (Shunyata Alpha HC and Delta NR, Chord Sarum T, Vertere and Audioquest Thunder) but they all allowed the SR4 to get more out of my tX-USBultra, allowing it to deliver a punchier more authorative and dynamic sound.  I would expect at the very least equally impressive improvements with an SR7.

• 2 months later...
18 minutes ago, mikey8811 said:

Hi

Probably not the right place for it but am looking for a used Paul Hynes LPS, either 5V or 7V both into 1.5 or 2 A, preferably running at 230V.

Does anyone have a spare one lying around that they wish to sell for a reasonable price?

Thanks

The specs you state would be met by a Paul Hynes SR4, but as you’ve posted in the SR7 thread, is that what you are looking for?

Used SR7’s are rarely up for sale, so you should probably focus on the SR4, which is very good.  No good to you right now, and possibly not any time this year, but if I ever get the SR7 I have almost completed the ordering of (I’ve taken over a cancelled order) I will probably sell my SR4.

You could mention your interest over on the SR4 thread https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/38614-the-paul-hynes-sr4-psu/

4 minutes ago, Jiffi32 said:

have you bought build 35?

I’ve no idea.  In truth, I haven‘t actually bought anything yet as I have still to finalise the spec with Paul.  An email from me seeking to do just that is waiting, no doubt along with several others, for Paul’s attention once he has the new production facilities operational.

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, oilpaint said:

For those with a SR7, do you run it threw a power conditioner or straight to AC wall power plug? Has anyone ever done a comparison? I am currently running my SR7 to a Shunyata Denali S (version 1).

Still waiting for my single-regulated 2-rail SR7 to arrive from PHD Ltd - they were hoping to get it to me before Christmas.  When it does arrive I will be comparing it powering my Chord M Scales and my tX-USBultra (or the OPTO.DX transmitter) with the SR7 plugged into my Shunyata UK6 distribution block and into a non-dedicated wall socket.

At the moment, the SR4 powering my M Scaler sounds cleaner (better) plugged unto the UK6, which connects to the wall socket via an unfiltered Shunyata Alpha EF.

• 1 year later...

Can anyone advise on the direction of current flow through my SR5T fuse holder?  I’m trying out a new SR Orange fuse and will try first the orientation shown in attached photo.  No longer any PHD Ltd to ask advice from.

EE6FE8BF-8DCA-493E-A53D-945C0AF7AF55.jpeg