IGNORED

The Paul Hynes SR7

Digital harshness is only one reason that creates a harsh sound. What I’m trying to say is that, even if we’d have the perfect source, a system still can sound harsh because of harsh amp and or speakers, even if the digital source is replaced by a good turnable. I know we’re focussing on source in this forum, but don’t make it your blind spot.

Digital harshness to me is jitter or missed ones and zero’s,  which result in un-natural sound waves. The brain is constantly re-calculating which makes it fatiguing. At least that’s how I interpretate it. It’s very hard to distinguish this form overall system harshness. But maybe the re-calculating approach makes it easier for you to recoignize.

And to put it in another perspective, the source is only 1/3 of the Total system: source, amp, speakers  (1/4 if you take acoustics in account). If you’d split source into player and dac, the player is only 1/6. Split player in server and renderer, it’s only 1/12. Split renderer in Sotm and power supply we’re talking 1/24 of the total system. Don’t take these figures to litteraly, but don’t expect just one power supply to turn your system from harsh to analog (or whatever you might call it)

Try a good tube pre-amp, use a good softdome tweeter or work on your acoustics for instance. Once you’re system has your preferred signature, a revealing source can only improve your set.