IGNORED

Modern motherboard for Zalman TNN 300

Following on from the success of building a great-sounding C.A.P.S., I've decided to dive into the deep end and put together a silent music server built around a Zalman TNN 300.

The case should arrive tomorrow, but as yet, I have no other parts ordered. I've just spent the last few hours searching the internet trying to identify compatible motherboards. What a nightmare! Zalman haven't updated their recommended motherboard list since 2006!

In any event, I've identified the four 'maybes' below that I believe people are, or have, used with TNN 300s:

- Asus P5E-VM

- Biostar P4M900-M7 SE

- Asus P5Q-EM 775 G45 RT

- Gigabyte GA-EG45M-UD2H

I'm not even sure if I can still get hold of some of these. If you have any experience with the TNN 300, then I'd appreciate any advice on which one I should go for... or indeed any other advice.

Mani.

PS. I did search the CA site for relevant information, but came up short. Apologies if my question has already been answered in detail elsewhere on this site. In which case a gentle nudge in the right direction would be great.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

Hi Mani - I've built a few of these servers. One has been used in the TAD room at CES for the last two years. My most recent build was in late december so I know what you're talking about when you say, "I'm not even sure if I can still get hold of some of these." Some parts are tough to find.

Keep in mind that the CPU must not exceed 70 watts due to the limitation of the passive cooling pipes. The board I've used for all the Zalmans I've built is the Asus P5Q-EM. These are tough to find now but are rock solid for a silent music server.

Here is a link to one I built a while ago.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/Absolutely-Silent-Audiophile-Music-Server

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Thanks for you thoughts Chris.

I've decided to try a Gigabyte GA-EG45M-UD2H first and then an Asus P5Q-EM, if I can't get the former working properly.

Thanks once again.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

• 2 weeks later...

Actually the Gigabyte GA-EG45M-UD2H mobo with E8600 CPU works a treat - I'm measuring a constant CPU temp of under 40 degrees C (104 degrees F).

The problem now is that I can't really decide which I prefer, this Zalman or the C.A.P.S.!

Mani.

• 1 month later...

I have bought a Zalman TNN 300 as well and I find the compatible list very old.

I have been running this setup for a long time now and not experienced any problems:

Motherboard: GA-MA78GPM-DS2H (can be viewed here)

CPU: AMD 4850e (2.5 ghz dual-core)

RAM: 3 GB Corsair (DDR 2)

GFX: XFX 9800GT (Green Edition)

But I am confident you can have this setup:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-USB3 (Could not at this moment find a link on Gigabytes homepage for the USB3, however the GA-MA785GMT-UD2H (rev. 1.3) can be viewed here)

CPU: AMD Athlon2 X4 605e 2,3Ghz (Quad-Core AM3)

GFX: XFX 9800GT (Green Edition) (still can't find any better than this unfortently)

RAM: Any DDR3 compatible with the motherboard would do fine I guess