IGNORED

Radio Paradise Update

On 10/17/2017 at 11:37 AM, Melvin said:

I love Radio Paradise and listen daily. I’ve discovered so much music listening to this station it would be hard to quantify.

Me too! Been listening to RP for close to 15 years now. I donate most years and I've even visited the station and had lunch with Bill and Rebecca.  Really great people--and true music lovers.

• 2 months later...

Speaking of front end/user software for internet radio, does anyone here have some favorites?  I don’t mind—and kind of prefer—if it is web page based, but it needs to be sortable, comprehensive (all the world’s stations listed) and informative.

SHOUTCast is the only one that comes to mind, though I have not looked for a while.

Thanks.

5 hours ago, look&listen said:

I like iTunes for inet radio. Discoverability is not the best, scrolling through many pages of stations within their genre categories (and stations can move betwixt them sometimes).

Thanks for the suggestion, but while I don't mind iTunes for music library management, I find it offers nothing to me for radio station browsing discovery.  And it is most always an incomplete list. 

3 hours ago, Cebolla said:

SHOUTCast is the other main internet radio streaming medium, so is a rival to Icecast (with a more commercial outlook and more popular due to better marketing). I assume all you were doing is accessing SHOUTCast's default internet radio station catalogue page. It's certainly much better presented than Icecast's default catalogue page.

Of course you'll never find Radio Paradise in SHOUTCast's catalogue, as RP is streamed using Icecast.

What you need is an application that looks up the catalogues of both Icecast and SHOUTcast. One such application is TuneIn, which is available via a web browser, as well as specific software for Windows, iOS and Android. The Android version is particularly good as it allows you to select a particular stream, if varying quality streams are available for a particular internet radio station.

Thanks for that. Years ago, when WinAmp was still an app--and before whatever buyout they went through--the ShoutCAST web page was a huge database-style sortable listing, showing number of listeners online for every station as well as bit-rate, country, etc.  Now their web listing is some slick sponsored garbage.  And the Icecast page is worse--in the other direction.  Plus Icecast seems to have a fraction of the number of stations that ShoutCAST does.

Sadly, TuneIn, which I have used on my iPad, does not have a macOS app.  So I guess I will keep waiting for some site or desktop app that indexes all the world's internet radio stations.

I am looking forward to Radio Paradise's desktop player app--due in February.  And it will support their super-high rate FLAC stream! Right now the only way to tune to that is via their mobile app.  Sure hope their desktop app is as awesome as their iOS already is.

3 hours ago, look&listen said:

Yeah, but how many stations can you listen to?

You are right.  Not many.  But my OCD for completeness and my sometimes desire to explore weird world "radio" stations from the other side of the globe is why I dislike the "curated" lists.  Sometimes its fun to look for the bizarre and obscure.  :o  The rest of the time I just put on Radio Paradise or my own library of music.

--Alex C.

P.S.  Thanks for the Groove Salad recommendation.  I'll check it out!

• 1 year later...

Does anyone here know if there is a way to play a RadioParadise stream with HQ Player (>NAA on NUC)?  HQ Player of course can handle FLAC, but I do not know if/how it can be made to playback a realtime stream.  I would LOVE that as it would enable me to play my favorite station on my main system instead of just on my desktop system.

TIA,

--Alex C.

1 hour ago, left channel said:

Maybe via foobar2000 to HQ Player? 

Thanks, but my desktop machine (and server to HQP NAA) is a Mac.  Foobar is N/A on Mac.

16 minutes ago, #Yoda# said:

I'm frequently listening to the Radio Paradise FLAC stream via Roon for more than two weeks now and it's working with some interruptions and dropouts quite well. I hope they'll get it stable as regular streaming offer, soon. 

Thanks, but I'm not yet a Roony. :P

30 minutes ago, Cebolla said:

Why don't you create an m3u8 playlist file containing a single line of the stream's URL and see if HQPlayer can actually play it?

Thanks.  I'm a bit stupid when it comes to these things so bear with me.

In HQ Player I dragged a single local track into the player window just so I could use the save playlist function to create an m3u8 file and see its format.

Then I opened that file in a text editor, could see the single track, and then added some Radio Paradise FLAC stream URLs that I found.  Here is exactly everything that is in the file--saved with m3u8 extension;

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:404,Bill Evans - Peace Piece
/Users/AJC/Music/06 Peace Piece.aif
http://stream-tx3.radioparadise.com/rp_192.ogg
http://audio-3.radioparadise.com:8000/flac
http://audio-3.radioparadise.com:8000/flac

But when I open that playlist, once the Bill Evans track shows up.  The URLs don't.  

Can you tell me what I am doing wrong?

@Cebolla:  Well I gave it a try with just the following in a text file with m3u8 extension:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:-1,Rondo Classic
http://stream.iradio.fi:8000/klasu.flac

But when opening or dragging that file into the HQ Player transport window I get nothing (no stream title showing).

Whereas a file created and saved in the exact same way containing the following works fine--dragged or opened:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:244,Nina Simone - Mood Indigo
/Users/AJC/Music/01 Mood Indigo.aif
#EXTINF:286,Louis Armstrong - St. James Infirmary
/Users/AJC/Music/01 St. James Infirmary.aif
#EXTINF:375,Brian Bromberg - The Saga Of Harrison Crabfeathers
/Users/AJC/Music/01 The Saga Of Harrison Crabfeathers.aif
#EXTINF:174,Peggy Lee - Fever
/Users/AJC/Music/03 Fever.aif
#EXTINF:211,Lizz Wright - Hit The Ground
/Users/AJC/Music/03 Hit The Ground.aif
#EXTINF:324,The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Take Five
/Users/AJC/Music/03 Take Five.aiff
#EXTINF:398,David Crosby - Deja Vu
/Users/AJC/Music/04 Deja Vu.aif

Can you tell me what I am still doing wrong?

Thanks again,

--Alex C.

9 hours ago, Cebolla said:

Looks like the Radio Paradise FLAC stream is working again. Had it playing for a couple of hours with no issues.

Got it--and that terrific Rondo Classic - Klasu station you recommended--playing via HQ Player now!  This really makes my week. Thanks a mint!

--Alex C.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, edn4x4 said:

@Superdad  How exactly did you get this to work?  What version of HQP?

Well for HQ Player 3.x it works to drag in a text file with extension .m3u8 (a playlist) containing just:

#EXTM3U
http://icy-8.radioparadise.com/flac

For HQP 4.x you can just past the stream link into the "Content Source URI" field (just below the progress bar).

1 hour ago, edn4x4 said:

I've created a single line .m3u8 and dragged it to hqp and it doesn't present any special track info.  I've read all the posts above,  but seem to be missing the exact actions you took to resolve. 

HQP does not pick up stream metadata--or the RadioParadise FLAC stream does not contain any.  Also the RP FLAC stream does not seem to be working today.  But I am listening to the Rondo Classic station as I type this.