IGNORED

Simplest Signal Path from NAS to Intergrated

So the gf recently 'allowed' me to splurge and get a Levinson integrated for the apartment, as it removed some of the many, what she labels 'boxes ans wires'.

I purchased the microRendu also hoping that, with a NAS, I could remove the CAPS I have and totally remove the computer from the audio system.

My setup is currently QNAP TVS-871 NAS  to microRendu to the integrated amplifier.  I am currently using Roon Server installed on the QNAP NAS on the 60 day trial, and it works pretty well.

Is there another option besides Roon to accomplis removing the computer from the system, as Chris' initial review of the microRendu stated (and attached this pretty picture shows): "Inserting the microRendu into this chain enables one to remove the music server entirely....  The new playback path is simply NAS to microRendu to audio system."

Any help would be extremely appreciated. I've been trying to figure this out for a good long while.

nas-mr-as.png

It is also possible to run a Upnp audio player package (usually BubbleUpnp) on a NAS, which then streams to a microRendu.   I've done that on my Synology as well - but Roon is vastly superior in functions offered.  I have seen others comment that for music streaming only, without other features, Upnp players do produce good quality audio streams and the microRendu includes the ability to accept these Upnp streams.

Thanks for the reply! I could not figure out how to install BubbleUpnp on the QNAP, but finally did after your reply. I still cannot figure out how to piece this together though as the microrendu is not showing up as a render in BubbleUpnp. However, I see a mont ago somebody started a similar topic. I'll piggyback off of that one.

Thanks again

4 minutes ago, AjCrisci said:

I still cannot figure out how to piece this together though as the microrendu is not showing up as a render in BubbleUpnp.

Is the microRendu attached to your router/switch via ethernet cable?

I assume you know that BubbleUPnP is an Android app and it's a control point.  What you installed on your QNAP is BubbleUPnP Server which is not the same thing.  With BubbleUPnP Server, you can use an IOS device like an iPad running an app like Lumin as a control point instead of BubbleUPnP on Android.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Ahh. I see! I've really messed this whole thing up. I have minimserver (which I installed previously because I read to do that on a few different threads) and Bubbleupnp Server installed on the QNAP,  I also have Bubbleupnp Server installed on the microrendu.

I now know why I could not get Bubbleupnp installed on my iOS device (thanks for getting me out of that sinkhole). I did however, figure out how to install mconnect and Linn Kazoo on my iOS device. These control point apps see the minimserver I set up on the qnap. I see all the music via the minimserver on the control point apps and I can play it on my phone, but I still cannot get the renderer to be shown on any software I try except for Roon Server. 

I have made sure I am in MDP/DLNA mode on the microrendu. The fact I can play music via my NAS to my stereo via Roon Server means that I am corrected properly, no? 

Thanks!

I could never get Kazoo to see my microRendu, and I've never tried mconnect.  The Lumin app works.  You don't need BubbleUPnP Server on both the QNAP and the microRendu, so get rid of one or the other.  Are you trying to play rips from your own library, or do you want to stream from TIDAL/Qobuz?

You may also need to go into Settings ==> MPD/DLNA Renderer on the microRendu and click Save changes.  It will pop up a confirmation message after a few seconds.  It's unbelievable how many people have come back and told me this got things working for them.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

You also need to create an OpenHome instance of your microRendu by configuring BubbleUPnP Server.  This is very easy to do with the microRendu version of BubbleUPnP Server.  Without doing this, there is no way an IOS control point will see the microRendu.  I think it's under BubbleUPnP Server settings ... sorry my microRendu isn't in my system at the moment for me to check.

The simplest way to confirm that things are working is to start with BubbleUPnP on an Android device as the control point.  Then you can enable OpenHome with BubbleUPnP Server and use something like the Lumin app on IOS as a control point instead.

Yes, glad you found that post, @sedest .  That's what I meant by configuring BubbleUPnP Server to create an OpenHome instance.  It also covers the TIDAL/Qobuz streaming setup.  So @AjCrisci please refer to the above post.  It will get you the rest of the way.

I still couldn't get TIDAL/Qobuz working with Kazoo.  Lumin works.

9 minutes ago, AjCrisci said:

Ha! That restart trick worked!!!!!

Yeah, @vortecjr needs to start paying me for doing technical support. x-D

Minimserver on the NAS and Bubbleupnp on Android is sufficient to stream to microRendu. 

Adding Open Home makes it more complex but has advantages. You can add Open Home to above by installing Bubbleupnp Server on NAS or microRendu. I've installed Bubbleupnp Server on my NAS to keep the work load of microRendu low. 

When changing something in the system sometimes microRendu and/or dac need a restart. In that case regaining Open Home often takes some time. Be patient ☺️