IGNORED

SMPS and grounding

For those looking for a more elegant solution you could your LPS-1 with something like this: 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F122625352090

I know it may be considered overkill to use a linear power supply to power the LPS-1 but it would do the job cleanly without having to add any taps or grounds. As John has stated, normal linear power supply only let through low impedance noise and the LPS-1 doesn’t let any low impedance noise so the two in series equates to no low or high impedance noise getting through. 

It may may not be as cheap a solution as SMPS grounding but you could run a Y cable from one of the LPS outputs to power a second LPS-1 (they can make a 7.5V 5A output section) leaving the two other outputs to run whatever you want. This at least makes the cost more manageable. 

I am considering it as a future upgrade because between my two LPS-1’s Mean Wells, the NetGear switch and the grounding plugs that’s 4 electrical outlets that are taken up. This combined unit would allow me to go down to 1. 

Anyway, my 2 cents on a unit I found and an idea I had. 

22 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

This PS looks very nice. The 9V and 12V outputs can each power an LPS-1 (IF the ratings are true). The LPS-1 is not designed to work from a 5V input so should not be used with the 5V output.

This looks like a very well built robust supply, it probably has enough juice to power a couple LPS-1s. Some customers have found that some inexpensive LPS have specs that are not true, the voltage sags when powering an LPS-1. But from just looking at it, it looks like this supply will not do that and should power LPS-1s just fine. But you really don't know until it is tried out.

John S.

The outputs are customizable to customer needs. Back when this thread was developing I once asked the if it were possible to make a 48V 1.25A output to power my PoE switch (which used to directly connect to my uR). It was possible and the charge was an extra $24-25. 

Thanks for the the comments on an LPS still needing to be grounded for the NetGear switch to do its job. I currently have mine plugged into an LH Labs LPS4 since as a matter of convenience since I was only using 2 of the 5 outputs. I’ll try to find out if the output negative is grounded and if not then ground it. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/4/2018 at 3:03 AM, Ryelands said:

Humble apologies but I've only spotted this query. It's probably an age thing.

Should it still be on any interest, I use ZyXel ES105As and find that the now-hard-to-get V1 sounds better than the more common V3s. But, to get the best from either and all-but eliminate the gap between them, replace the 3.3v regulator at the input with an LT3045-based device. See pic of a v3 box though it's easier to do a neater job with shorter leads with the v1.

Neater still, wait until Uptone Audio releases its upcoming audio-grade switch which, I note with interest, is 10/100MB/sec only.

HTH

Dave

Zyxel v3 w Acko reg.jpg

UpTone switch?