IGNORED

any plans to review the Esoteric D-07

Thanks Chris! at $4,800 with multiple inputs including USB it would certainly be interesting to see how it stacks up. I heard that same 32 bit DAC used in the D-07 in a cd player of theirs and it had a really nice sound. Being that it is Esoteric the fit and finish will be world class so I would be really interested in what you think of it sonically. I appreciate you making the effort.

rydenfan,

In my auditions, the D-07 sounded much better than the SA-50 via USB input, to be honest, I didn't really care for the SA-50. Don't know for sure, but I think the D-07 has a better USB interface. While good on its own, the G-03X external clock lifted the sound higher. The external clock made a bigger difference to USB input to D-07 than to P-05 transport to D-07.

-- Daniel

MBP SSD OSX 10.6 with Amarra 2.0 (mostly FLAC) -> Weiss Int202 -> dCS Scarlatti DAC -> Boulder 865 on Finite Elemente -> SF Amati Anniversarios

• 3 weeks later...

I hope to have a chance to have both DACs available this weekend to do a little comparison though as you can see in another post, I don't have an option to interface the Berkeley with a PC at this point. I'll be trying both with an older Lexicon transport this week and I'll post my thoughts about the two next week.

I listened to both a couple of days ago. To be honest I was underwhelmed by the SA-50. It sounded really nice on SACD but not as good on CD. It sounded much better as a transport feeding the D-07 so my impression is the D-07 is the better DAC. The SA-50 only supports 16/44 on USB as well so I don't know if that influences your decision. It seems like a very expensive SACD player and transport solution though.

Thanks for the advice.

The best sound I've ever heard was the Esoteric P-03/D-03/G-03 combo, and I keep hoping I can get close to that in one box. But I agree, it would be stupid to swap the SA-50 for my venerable Sony XA777ES unless it's a clear step up for both CD and SACD formats. As far as USB, I'd probably use something like the Bel Canto USB Link to the S/PDIF input. The positive reviews at SoundStage! and 6moons make me want to audition it myself, but there are no Esoteric dealers in Vermont.

I'll probably go the simple and cheap route of using a Mac Mini with an iPad to a DAC, just keep my Sony around for the SACDs.

Hey Chris, any plans to add the Mini to the C.A.S.H. list? Or for a DIY article on how to get the most out of one, e.g. best software settings, best hardware configuration?

Guys, the SA-50 and D-07 are very different units. The SA-50 is a cd player that contains a USB input. The D-07 is a dedicated DAC that Esoteric spent a lot of time developing. The D-07 carries basically the same price as the SA-50 yet does not contain any of the hardware associated with the transport. I would personally be far more interested in how the D-07 compares to dedicated DACs like the Ayre, Weiss, Berkely, etc. than how it compares to an Esoteric CD player.

The SA-50 is their one-box solution that plays CD/SACD and has USB and S/PDIF inputs. I would imagine Esoteric spent a lot of time developing both machines.

Given that the SA-50 is the newer product and seems to use the exact same 32 bit chip and technology as the D-07, but adds the VSOP transport, I personally would be more interested in hearing what Chris thinks of the SA-50. If Chris reviews the SA-50 and likes the DAC performance, I bet the D-07 would sound at least as good if not better. Maybe almost as good as the D-03, which is stellar.

In any case, I'm hoping Chris likes the SA-50 as much as other reviewers have, but if he chooses to review the D-07, that's fine too. Either way, he's just doing our work for us.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently had both the Berkeley and the SA-50 here at home and had plenty of time to compare them in my system. The Berkeley had been in my system about a year at the time of the comparision.

The rest of the digital side was an Esoteric X-03, Weiss AFI1 firewire to SP/DIF converter, Mac Powerbook (since replaced by a new Mac Mini) running iTunes. Digital files are stored on a Thecus N5200 Pro NAS. I did not use either USB or optical during the trials.

Bottom line: I found the SA-50 to be more to my liking than the X-03 when playing CDs or SACDs, the X-03 VRDS transport not withstanding.

The X-03 converts SACD DSD to PCM before analog conversion, the SA-50 can be set to DSD, PCM, DSD > PCM, or PCM > DSD.

The X-03 has fixed upsampling of PCM, the SA-50 can select no upsampling, 2X or 4X.

The X-03 has a fixed output filter; the SA-50 allows selection of a FIR filter or the more traditional post conversion filter.

To summarize the sonic impressions of the two players -- the X-03 sounded a bit bolder, but also a bit edgier, and could get tiresome on less than excellent disks. The SA-50 sounded more natural, more like the sound of actual acoustic instruments, and the flexibility of decoding, sampling and filtering options allowed me to find combinations that favored both superbly engineered and recorded disks, and those that aren't so fortunate. I found that it did not give away anything in terms of dynamics, extension, or detail to the X-03.

SA-50 vs. Berkeley was a lot closer. I played redbook and high-resolution digital from Reference Recordings, 2L, HDTT, and MA Recordings. I found that I had to very carefully match levels between the two (I used a Tektronics o-scope) otherwise the precedence effect of the louder output skewed the results to favor the louder of the two -- they were that close.

After a lot of critical listening over a week, I gave a slight -- very slight -- nod to the Berkeley, but it was extremely close.

So close in fact, that I've since sold the Berkeley and the X-03 and have been using the SA-50 exclusively for a couple of months. No regrets -- yes, I'd like to have a cost-no-object system, but I found the SA-50 to be a very cost-effective digital solution at less than half the price of the X-03/Berkeley combination.

I value clarity, neutrality, and transparency to the source in my equipment selections, rather than euphony or an overly-pleasant forgiveness. I think at these price points, any of the equipment is quite good and truly egregious behavior is pretty rare. So to some extent, personal preference plays as important a factor in selection as objective specification and performance.

I hope this is a useful datapoint.

Steve Z

VPI-HW40 Anniversary turntable, Grado Aeon3 cartridge; Teres turntable, VPI Fatboy gimbal, Dynavector XV1-S, Lyra Helikon mono; Taiko Audio Extreme server, dCS Vivaldi DAC, Upsampler Plus and Clock, Cybershaft OP21 Reference Clock; Playback Designs Pinot ADC; D'Agostino Momentum M400 amplifiers, Momentum HD preamp, Momentum phono stage; Wilson Audio Alexx speakers, 2X3 SVS SB16 Ultra subwoofers; Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR & Typhon, Shunyata Sigma NR & Alpha NR power cords, Sigma interconnects, digital and speaker cables; Stillpoints ESS grid system rack; Stillpoints Ultras and Ultra 5s, component stands and cones under everything, ASC Tube Traps . . . and lots and lots of music.

• 7 months later...

Hi there,

I'm looking for a new DAC with pre and the Esoteric SA-50 is on my shortlist. I would get CD and SACD as an extra. I would run it directly into my Gryphon amp. Theoretically it should work out since the Gryphon is more on the 'warm' side and the Esoteric should be a little more on the 'neutral to cold' side. OTOH, I have no real idea. Has anybody listened to a Esoteric-Gryphon setup?

Thanks a lot in advance

best regards

André

LDMS Minix Server>Lampizator TRP w/ VC>Gryphon Diablo>Heil Kithara

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

As a former owner of an Esoteric X-03SE, and someone who very much appreciates the Esoteric sound, I would strongly recommend against the SA-50, particularly if you plan to listen to it through USB. When I auditioned it, listening through USB input didn't sound good at all.

Robert Harley also makes this crystal clear in his review in The Absolute Sound - "My only reservation about the SA-50 is that the sound through the USB input doesn’t begin to suggest the full quality of which the SA-50’s outstanding DACs are capable...."

Chris makes a similar point, albeit more ambiguously expressed, in his review of the related DAC-07 - "I see the D-07 DAC as Esoteric's half-hearted attempt to enter the USB DAC market. Between the misleading manual, the mediocre USB implementation, and the unsatisfactory sound quality it appears as though computer audio was an afterthought to Esoteric." I mean, "appears as"? What's he saying?

-- Daniel

MBP SSD OSX 10.6 with Amarra 2.0 (mostly FLAC) -> Weiss Int202 -> dCS Scarlatti DAC -> Boulder 865 on Finite Elemente -> SF Amati Anniversarios

Hi Daniel,

thanks for your answer. I don't think of using the USB. I'll be using a SB Touch as a transport. Is the sound through the digital inputs also under par?

best regards

André

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

I can't comment, since I've only heard it with CD and USB input, about a year ago. I would suggest reading Robert Harley's review of the SA-50 in http://www.avguide.com/buyers-guide/the-absolute-soundhi-fi-guide-disc-players-dacs-music-servers. Compare with Chris' review of the D-07 (I believe the DACs are similar.)

Do you have the opportunity for auditioning?

-- Daniel

Hello, i have had the Gryphon Diablo together with the Esoteric X-03se. This was a splendid combination, i can stongly recommend it! I would advice that it require good cables, as both the products are very transparent and open. silent source cabling, or mit oracle should work very fine.

Hello Yasman,

thanks for the input. I'll be using Zu Varials which are fast. Maybe later on I'll experiment with that.

Hi roscoeiii,

I think you'd be surprised. It's really good as a transport, especially with a different PSU. Have a look at the review here at Computer Audiophile and take into account that the PSU makes a not-so-subtle difference. My weakest link at the moment are definitely my speakers.

Hi,

I was a happy owner of the X-03 and had the opportunity to listen to it side-by-side in my system with the SA-50. I sold the X-03 with no regrets (and pocketed a substantial difference in price).

I didn't and don't listen to digital via the SA-50 USB port; instead, I use a Mac Mini as a dedicated server via firewire, and convert firewire to AES/EBU with a Weiss AFI1. Pure Music provides the engine and a Thecus NAS the storage.

I found I much preferred the SA-50 ability to play PCM files as DSD, perhaps because of the much different post-filtering it allows.

I can't comment on the rest of your proposed equipment. Perhaps you can arrange a comparison at an Esoteric dealer? I know I never make significant purchase decisions based on print reviewers comments. Nor internet pundits opinions, either. They can be used to develop a "short-list" of possible candidates, but I'm reluctant to gamble my hard-earned dollars on someone else's listening experiences.

Good luck,

Steve Z

VPI-HW40 Anniversary turntable, Grado Aeon3 cartridge; Teres turntable, VPI Fatboy gimbal, Dynavector XV1-S, Lyra Helikon mono; Taiko Audio Extreme server, dCS Vivaldi DAC, Upsampler Plus and Clock, Cybershaft OP21 Reference Clock; Playback Designs Pinot ADC; D'Agostino Momentum M400 amplifiers, Momentum HD preamp, Momentum phono stage; Wilson Audio Alexx speakers, 2X3 SVS SB16 Ultra subwoofers; Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR & Typhon, Shunyata Sigma NR & Alpha NR power cords, Sigma interconnects, digital and speaker cables; Stillpoints ESS grid system rack; Stillpoints Ultras and Ultra 5s, component stands and cones under everything, ASC Tube Traps . . . and lots and lots of music.