IGNORED

Get That Monkey Off Your Back

Thank you SOOO much, Urs and Dynobot. Based on your suggestions, I was able to get Foobar to work with foo_touchremote.dll, but ONLY in compatibility mode for Windows XP (any of the versions work) - NOT Windows 7. I have to say that I'm very impressed with the results: a clean interface, very easy to navigate on an iTouch. I wonder if I'm losing something by using Foobar in Windows XP mode...

Re. your question, Urs, yes, I did install Bonjour for Windows 7 64bit, so that's not the problem. I also installed iTunes (which I hate, but just wanted to try all possible alternatives I was given). My version of Foobar is the latest, 1.

Re. your question, Dynobot: When I put the .dll in the components directory and start Foobar in Windows 7 (NOT compatibility mode), I receive the following message (when I click OK, the program shuts down and I can't use it): "Failed to load DLL: foo_touchremote.dll

Reason: The specified procedure could not be found". I can't even pass this message, so your suggestion to go to tools doesn't work (except in Windows XP, and I described above).

Anyway, to summarize, this is an AMAZING plugin and, best of all, it comes for free. My only hope is to be able to use it in Windows 7...

Thanks a bunch to all your help!

Walcascar[br]My system: Mac Mini > Exasound e22 (digital) > VPI Classic 3 (analog) > McIntosh C50 preamp & McIntosh MC302 amp > B&W Nautilus 802D (Cables: All Cardas)

That doesn't mean that this feature wouldn't attract other users.

APS, and Dynobot too of course, you got me motivated. If you only know how hard the job has been to find ONE commercially avialable remote doing the job for especially Vista/W7 ... (which in the end is a (Philips) official MCE remote with USB transceiver). So FYI, that just works.

But I'll get myself an iTouch and I guess I should be able to get that to work (won't be a small job).

Thank you guys.

Peter

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

Glad to hear you got it working Wal,

Enjoy and spread the word....and it does work great too doesn't it.

As a bonus you got another great tool, Revo. It really comes in handy and keeps Windows clean.

I'm sorry to butt in here but doesn't it seem that there is something still very wrong if Wal has to go back 2 OS generations to get the foobar app to work? I have gotten the impression from this website (among others) that Windows 7 with WASAPI is the best sonic option. If Wal has to go back to XP is he sacrificing sound quality for the convenience of an i-something remote?

Plinius SA-Reference, EMM Labs DCC2/CDSD, Soliloquy 6.5 Full Range Speakers, Mac Mini, Pure Music, dB Audio Labs Essential USB Cable, Empirical Audio Offramp 4 with Turboclocks & Hynes Regulator upgrades - Power Conditioning & Cabling by Silver Circle Audio

There still is a problem because Foobar should load and play fine in W7 64-bit. I am guessing though that its just a glitch and he can still use WASAPI out. If not then he would be forced to use ASIO or Direct sound. Perhaps a query at Hydrogenaudio is in order...

Edit:

I don't know about "others" but KS sounds better to me on my W7 machine with Foobar. As always people should try different things and be their own judge.

Dynobot, I use KS in Foobar as recommended by the manufacturers of HiFace. I tried WASAPI but it doesn't seem to be recognized by HiFace. By the way, I agree with you: When I'm not using HiFace, KS sounds better, with a more precise and spacious soundstage. However, without HiFace, I'm limited to 48KHz using my Bryston DAC, so I'd like to continue using it. In sum, I'm very happy with KS, but I'd be even happier if I could use it in Win 7.

I spent hours last night playing with Foobar via my iTouch (touchremote). It's SO much fun! It works beautifully and I like its clean interface on the iTouch.

And by the way, thanks a billion for the very helpful answers I've received. This is an amazing forum! Thanks!

Walcascar[br]My system: Mac Mini > Exasound e22 (digital) > VPI Classic 3 (analog) > McIntosh C50 preamp & McIntosh MC302 amp > B&W Nautilus 802D (Cables: All Cardas)

When you have time, check out Hydrogenaudio web site.....Foobar's forum. They might have more answers that will get Foobar running correctly under 64bit W7.

I don't want to mess things up with your set-up.....BUT I too have a DAC that is documented at being 48k max via USB. I changed my USB driver and now I can get the full 24/96, which is the true Max for my DAC [via coax]. I bet this limitation in your DAC via USB is just a limitation in the stock driver as well.

I use USB PnP Sound Device as a driver.

Thanks, Dynobot. I will check the Hydrogenaudio website. But as I mentioned earlier, I'd like to continue using my HiFace, which allows me to go up to 24bit/192KHz via a USB-to-NBC device. Thanks a billion!

• 10 months later...

OK, so I bought an iPad and want to use it with Foo Touchremote. Foobar runs on a small netbook, currently with wifi off. I have to choose between having the netbook hooked up to the house wifi (in another room, i.e. with wifi on) or getting another router and hooking up the netbook via cable, i.e. with wifi off. Any recommendations?

All best,

Jens

i5 Macbook Pro running Roon -> Uptone Etherregen -> custom-built Win10 PC serving as endpoint, with separate LPUs for mobo and a filtering digiboard (DIY) -> Audio Note DAC 5ish (a heavily modded 3.1X Bal) -> AN Kit One, heavily modded with silver wiring and Black Gates -> AN E-SPx Alnico on Townshend speaker bars. Vicoustic and GIK treatment.

I'm having problems connecting. Foobar and the iPad see each other, but after having entered in Foobar the 4-digit code given by the Remote App in iPad. But after that the iPad screen just says "Connecting to foobar2000" forever until it finally says that it can't connect and that I should check my network settings.

I have manually opened the TCP and UDP ports, I have switched off the firewall on the Foobar PC entirely, I have rebooted everything. Nothing works. I have no problem hooking up to iTunes on the same PC that's normally running Foobar.

Any ideas how to troubleshoot this further?

All best,

Jens

i5 Macbook Pro running Roon -> Uptone Etherregen -> custom-built Win10 PC serving as endpoint, with separate LPUs for mobo and a filtering digiboard (DIY) -> Audio Note DAC 5ish (a heavily modded 3.1X Bal) -> AN Kit One, heavily modded with silver wiring and Black Gates -> AN E-SPx Alnico on Townshend speaker bars. Vicoustic and GIK treatment.

Anyone ... ? Sorry for bumping, but I'm really at a loss on how to proceed :-(

All best,

Jens