IGNORED

Get That Monkey Off Your Back

Foobar2000 is now iTouch/iPhone ready!

Not to mention being the best sounding free player around and the first with WASAPI support Foobar has recently reached version 1.0 and just in time with a 3rd party iTouch/iPhone plug in that allows you to control Foobar2000. Browse Library, Playlist, Play, Stop, etc. all while using the already installed iTunes remote on your iTouch/iPhone. Just download the .dll and put it in your components directory, fire up Foobar and let your iTouch app discover Foobar, put in the code and you are done.

And YES even Album Art!

http://wintense.com/plugins/foo_touchremote

This is a WONDERFUL idea, however, when I installed the plugin, Foobar can't load it. Here's the msg I received:

Failed to load DLL: foo_touchremote.dll

Reason: The specified procedure could not be found.

If I hadn't installed other Foobar plugins I would think it's me... I installed Apple remote, Bonjour (but not iTunes), as instructed. Any idea what is happening?

Thanks a bunch for sharing this info with us!

Walcascar[br]My system: Mac Mini > Exasound e22 (digital) > VPI Classic 3 (analog) > McIntosh C50 preamp & McIntosh MC302 amp > B&W Nautilus 802D (Cables: All Cardas)

Thanks a bunch for your message.

I use an audio-dedicated Toshiba 64bit laptop with Windows 7 professional and, as I mentioned above, I can't install the DLL file ("Failed to load DLL: foo_touchremote.dll

Reason: The specified procedure could not be found"). I don't think it's a firewall related problem, and I use J River's remote application RiverMote without problems. And yes, the DLL file is in the components folder in Foobar.

Maybe I'm missing a minor step in the process? Here's what I did: (1) Installed Apple's Remote, (2) Installed Bonjour (but NOT iTunes, which I can't stand), (3) added touchremote.dll to Foobar, (4) Started Foobar and received the message above. Obviously, the remote application on the iTouch can't detect Foobar.

Please help!

Walcascar[br]My system: Mac Mini > Exasound e22 (digital) > VPI Classic 3 (analog) > McIntosh C50 preamp & McIntosh MC302 amp > B&W Nautilus 802D (Cables: All Cardas)

Which version of Foobar are you using?

Make sure you download version 1.0....

I had no problems at all, perhaps there is some conflict going on. Please post as much information as possible, I can try to duplicate your situation if possible. I too am running W7.

Perhaps you need to install the whole iTunes thing...maybe some 'bit' of code is being downloaded too when iTunes installs Bonjour.

Thank you so much for your willingness to help, Dynobot. I realized that I had an older version of Foobar, so I uninstalled the old one (and lost all of my configurations and plugins) and installed the new one. To make a long story short, things got worse and now I can NOT even open Foobar. When I try to open it, I receive the following message: "Runtime Error! Program: C...foobar.exe. This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information". When I click OK to close the message, Foobar freezes and then shuts down.

I now have Foobar v1 (but not operational), Windows 7 Pro, Bonjour installed (I'm going to install iTunes now, unfortunately - I hate its size, constant updates and gigantic downloads). But I wonder if it's really worth it after all this. I'll try anyway.

Thanks once again for all your help.

Really sorry I made things worse.

Installing Foobar is usually bullet proof. I probably installed it 50 times at least without any problems.

I hesitate to give any more advice.

Its really strange, if you uninstalled a working version of Foobar via Windows Uninstaller. Then installed a new version of Foobar for it not to work. BTW it is also supposed to keep all of your settings because the registry values are still there.

Sorry I made you feel bad, Dynobot, that was not my intention. But we know the frustration of going through all this (we all do that!), but this is part of learning. Sorry. I'll try to install iTunes and see what happens. I'll keep you posted. If you have any other suggestion, please let me know. Thanks a billion.

Hello again, Dynobot & al. Still not successful. I installed iTunes, then unistalled-installed Foobar once again, and nothing changed (I still received the same error msg described above). I don't think it's a problem with my firewall, since as I mentioned earlier, I use RiverMote (a remote plugin that works with J River +iTouch). But I want to keep using my favorite player, Foobar.

One thing I haven't mentioned is that I use the USB-based M2Tech HiFace device to get music out of my computer.

Thanks again for all your help!

Can I ask, when you uninstalled did you look into your programs directory to see if everything was gone?

Try to do another uninstall and check your Programs directory, make sure the folder is gone. Best if you use Revo and do a uninstall. Sounds like there are some bits of the old program left that is not compatible with the new one and is trying to start.

And unplug the M2while you uninstall and install.

Right-click the icon on the desktop or your start button (where it is that you would launch the program from). Then click Properties. Click on the Compatibility tab and check the box next to "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"

Dynobot,

and the first with WASAPI support

You can overdo things, you know. Foobar was (IIRC) the third with WASAPI support, more than 12 months later than the first. You know how much 12 months is for someone who is "proud" to be the very first ?

Of course, Hydrogen-like we must proove this :

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=62653&pid=571948&mode=threaded&start=#entry571948 (June 19, 2008)

vs.

http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=69.0 (June 17, 2007)

That's all really.

Peter

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

... for those not familiar with XXHighEnd.

'Engine#3' in http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=69.0 refers to WASAPI support.

Although Dynobot may well be right that Foobar was the first free player to support WASAPI...

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

Nearly first, one of the top......and since when is XX free? You mean a free demo?

XX doesn't have iTouch support though....:-)

Neither does cPlay....:-)

So currently its the BEST Windows audio play with iTouch support.

Sneakily editing your post eh ? well, about what you added : since the beginning up to June 24 2007 I guess, when people started having "requirements".

So currently its the BEST Windows audio play with iTouch support.

Oh, I thought that was iTunes. But wait, does that support the iTouch ? if not, Foobar must also be the WORST Windows audio player with iTouch support. hehe

Ok, back to work.

:-)

XXHighEnd (developer)

Taking shots at Foobar.

Come on Peter, you don't have to come here to try to take the wind out of Foobar's sails. XX has its place in the grand scheme of things, your work as been recognized as excellent by many "Audiophiles" over the years along with cPlay.

Fact is Foobar is and has been the "Gateway" audio software since the birth of computer audio, people know it, trust it and use it. Some people move on to JRiver, MM, etc. and many people end their search with XX and cPlay for the most part. I know that and you know that. However of the best sounding players for Windows only XX is not free, we all know that as well. Thats not to take away the work you have done, after all time is money and I am sure you put some time into writing that code, and deserve compensation.

This whole thing is about convenience. Sound quality can be argued until the end of time because its totally subjective, but having your entire collection at your finger tips via iTouch with Album art it way cool. Everyone gives that a thumbs up. Maybe you should consider spending some time on XX's eye candy appeal and conveniences rather than continuously tweaking the sound back and forth. After all, no matter how you tweak it it can always seem to get better, its never ending. All audio gear has been tweaked for 50+ years and is still getting better little by little. Its a never ending process. Honestly, increasing your user base would be best done via what I mentioned above.

Thank you for your advices; appreciated ! (but not many users will agree upon it, I think).

But hey, I sure wasn't trying to take away wind from any sails. I just tried to make the same joke as you did with "a best player" in a league where its on its own. Mathematically it would be the worst at the same time. That's all !

Maybe I can make it up with you like this : XX was the first WASAPI player, and it was the worst of all WASAPI players ... of course.

Peter

PS: You will never find one post anywhere about me telling Foobar (or any other player) doesn't sound good or anything. In the early days I even scratched posts from others telling that.

XXHighEnd (developer)

XX was indeed the first WASAPI player. Its good that you had the vision to go that route instead of using only ASIO. It didn't take much for me to convince the JRiver people to use WASAPI, only a couple a good sale pitches. But it took a long time for me to get the Songbird people to do something.

And I think you are right about users not agreeing, Audio people never agree about anything. But I still think eye candy appeal counts and so does convenience. Other than that, being able to be used across platforms has to be the top. Right now Amarra has no competition on the Mac side of things. JRiver opted not to peruse that route, too bad for them.

Thanks again, Dynobot. Unfortunately, I don't have good news: I'm still having problems with Foobar after I added the .dll for iTouch-based control. As you suggested, I uninstalled Foobar with Revo (great program, by the way!) and re-installed it (I also removed the HiFace device from my laptop while playing with Foobar). Foobar works just fine until I copy the "foo_touchremote" dll to its components folder. Alternatively, when I remove touchremote, Foobar starts to work again. I also followed another one of your suggestions: I started Foobar in compatibility mode. I tried different Vista incarnations and had no luck. When I tried Windows XP, I was finally able to start Foobar (and see touchremote as a plugin in the list). So here are my questions:

(1) So that means that I can only use the remote in XP mode?

(2) How do I get Foobar to recognize the iTouch?

I'm attaching below the message (.txt) I receive every time I start Foobar in Windows 7 (Note that this only happened AFTER I completely re-installed Foobar with Revo - before that, I couldn't even start Foobar). I can't understand anything in this file, except the final summary that indicates that it "failed to get default device".

TouchRemote: init started

TouchRemote: this is a first use

TouchRemote: assigned ID '93223C4D-606D-4CCB-AE87-AF2CD7D11370'

TouchRemote: started DAAP server on port 3690

TouchRemote: failed to get default device: 0x80070490

Thanks once again for all your help. I hope I can start using remote-controlled Foobar soon (by far my favorite).

Great.

At least you got Foobar working again.

You said that when you put the .dll into the components directory...what exactly happens when you start Foobar?

Also you do have Foobar ver1.0 installed right?

If you get any errors after you install the dll keep going if you can....if Foobar comes up you might be fine. The error could be just wanting you to connect it to your iTouch. " IF " Foobar will load after you click any error message go to Preferences and look under the TOOLS section you should see iPhone/iPod Touch remote

First off, just let me know exactly what happens when you install the dll and launch Foobar....

Peter

You are, no doubt, right in that many current users of XXHigh End are fine without iPhone / Remote support. That doesn't mean that this feature wouldn't attract other users. My house is an example. Yes, I'll use XXHighEnd on my dedicated 2-channel set-up and, ideally, on the family room set-up. The issue with the latter however is I cannot see others using XX without simpler user interface and iPhone / Remote support so I'm stuck with Media Monkey in this set-up. I guess it's horses for course but, ultimately, it'd be great to get both slick interface / remote and great sound quality.

Regards,

APS

I guess it's horses for course but, ultimately, it'd be great to get both slick interface / remote and great sound quality.

Not like XX would loose any of its current users and I BET none of the current users would complain "Oh man, XX has iTouch capabilities now!....I hate it." Nah won't happen.

Its loose nothing and gain more any way you cut it.

Run a pole on the XX site and see how many people will vote iTouch capabilities down.

let's go back to the topic of this thread.

Walcascar, if I read your previous posts, your OS is Win7 64bit.

I looked at the Apple site: for bonjour there are different downloads, i.e. you have to install the bonjour service for the 64bit OS.