IGNORED

LYNX vs WEISS ?

Has anyone tried the Lynx aes16 against Weiss INT202?

It can be decisive at the time thinking about what kind of music server and Dac going to choose.

I´m Thinking on: Mac Mini + Weiss INT202 + Berekley Alpha, via AES/EBU imput.

Playing my files whith JRiver , using Parallels or Boot Camp, I don´t know..., and In the future control all whith the new Ipad close to my sofa.

If you are planning to use J.River with no interest in iTunes, Amarra or Pure Vinyl, I wouldn't buy Apple hardware - something like Chris's CAPS system would be more appropriate IMO.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I recently tried Weiss NT202 vs my Lynx AES16 into Berkeley DAC. For Lynx, I have Lynx cable made up with Kimber Silver AGSS cable. Weiss NT202 unit was unfortunately brand new and not broken in, a prototype firewire cable and PS Audio balance digital cable. In my system, Lynx sounded better to me. However, sometimes next month, I will retry Weiss again after my local dealer have them well burned in and will see if I can find a better digital cable.

Personally, I think both are roughly about the same. However with Weiss, you will have much better choices of digital cables/firewire (also at a significantly higher cost) so potential of getting better sound will be ion favor of Weiss. (if you think that firewire/digital cable cannot contribute much to sound then I probably would just stay with Lynx). Now there are quite a bit of rumours flying around regarding Berkely asynchronous USB-AES/EBU interface coming out sometimes this year which will make it even more interesting. Personally I am holding out until I know more about Berkely unit one way or another, I think.

I know it's being pedantic ... but the Weiss device is an INT202.

Out of interest, the comparisons you made between the Lynx AES16 and the Weiss INT202: were they done on Mac or PC?

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Actually riderforever ... I think you'll find that thats the Offical Distributor for Switzerland NOT for the EU. Unless things have changed, the Berkeley Alpha DAC has never been RoHS (Restriction of Hazardous Substances) tested so can't be generally sold in the EU.

Eloise

Eloise

---

If the dealer will sell outside Switzerland that is fine, but then counts as a personal import (think thats the correct term) and is liable for tax and duty at the recieving country.

For the UK - the details are here -- http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageVAT_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_001454&propertyType=document

and here -- http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageVAT_ShowContent&id=HMCE_PROD1_028719&propertyType=document

I'm not saying you shouldn't buy a Berkeley DAC from digitalcom (or direct from USA) but you need to be aware you may have to pay import duty, etc.

Eloise

Eloise

---