IGNORED

Audirvana 3.1

8 hours ago, OldBigEars said:

Am I the only one who finds 3.1 has taken a noticeable step backwards in sound quality compared with the 3.0.10 beta, which was outstanding?  I've just gone back to the beta. Go on, tell me it's all imagination. Btw I've had no functionality complaints with either. 

I also hear a step backward  in sound though, I was going from 3.0.7 to 3.1.1. 

I heard the difference immediately and without any critical listening.

• 1 month later...

Does anybody have a suggestion for software other than onyx to use in the repair permissions process that enables director mode?  I am not which other utility might do exactly what is needed.

Don’t know how long before Onyx devs come out with a version compatible with High Sierra. I jumped from El Capitan so this is my first experience with the direct mode hack.

16 hours ago, RunHomeSlow said:

Yes, when you go in GO menu in Finder... at the Bottom of the menu you have Go To Folder option... paste the " /usr/local/bin"

Then, it will open another search finder window, just drop the Repair Permission unzipped file there, like in my picture.

Then it will be always there if you update your OS and have to repair permission again. It's faster then Onyx also...

but Onyx will be good too, if you can wait :)

Snapz023.jpg

Thanks again. I really appreciate you taking time to follow up!

With Onyx finally available for High Sierra, I just tried Direct Mode. Funny thing is I now find Direct Mode a bit more harsh and less detailed. I now prefer it off

Since  Apple making it difficult to use Direct Mode in recent OS's, maybe Damien just tweaked A+ so the software sounds best without it. It would make sense rather than make everyone jump through Terminal hoops for the best sound.

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, audiocanyon said:

So maybe my ears weren't fooling me after all.  I just upgraded to the latest version and it seems a bit brighter and harsher to me also.  I can't imagine Damien did anything that affected SQ negatively, but it is strange.

I didn’t  like the sound of recent versions except for 3.1.6 which sounds absolutely great, but I had to increase the pre-ringing and the steepness. I upped pre-ringing from 35 to 45 which rounded the sound a  and the steepness I increased from 120to 130 to open the soundstage. Very happy with the results : Solid images, controlled strong bass, non fatiguing detailed overall sound

• 1 month later...

3.2.2 + sox... wow, nice! Thank you, Damien.

I’ve only tried the default settings which really are great, but can someone say (in kinda plain English) how the advanced setting filter tweaks affect the sound. Especially how the nyquist and pre-ringing sliders equate to their izotope  equivalents since the achievable limits seem to be calculated differently (or does sox just have a broader range).

TIA

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-12-31 at 1:23 PM, watercourse said:

Update: after listening to many locally-stored 16/44 FLAC files, I'm finding that I prefer the ability to fine-tune in iZotope - a bit more texture and depth than SoX. I feel the fixed steepness of SoX doesn't allow the ability to dial in sonics in the same way as iZotope. There is an initial apparent increase in resolution via SoX that I find is more fatiguing than iZotope over time.

Will focus on hi rez local files and Tidal streams next.

After initially enjoying the SoX presentation, I switched back to izotope as well. I have a system that can be a little bright and I'd rather sacrifice the sox soundstage for the ability to tweak steepness in izotope.

In A+'s izotope settings I'd found a nice balance to present textural richness that makes my system less fatiguing and very, very nice to listen to.

My earlier appeal for an explanation of SoX settings was basically to figure out how to find that balance in SoX. I guess I can't at least for now. No big loss, I still have a great (to my ear) sounding system with many thanks to A+.

• 5 months later...

I recently listened to my A+ izotope settings on a friend’s system. It sounded awful. Truly terrible. Ear-achingly unlistenable. My old speakers in my setup were so far off the mark that they drew my izotope settings out to left field: high detail, but anemic bass, and decay that was completely off.

This is also the reason, I think, that my system was so sensitive to variations in A+ versions - I was out on the edge of listenability.

Anyway, I’m still experimenting a bit, but I dialed the steepness back from 130 to 110, filter max length way back to 850,000 and pre-ringing up to .55 from .35. Now I’ve got a realistic rhythm section to back up the music.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have a solution to A+ library's song duplication? I deleted all A+ preferences (sqlite, plist, etc),  reinstalled the app, optimized the databased.... a day later all songs show in duplicate again - DSD, AIFF, ... it does matter what file type. I'm running A+ 3.2.8 in High Sierra.

TIA

19 hours ago, RunHomeSlow said:
19 hours ago, RunHomeSlow said:

Have you tried all that ?

Close A+
Start fresh A+

by deleting those files…

If you have Playlists that are important export them first to desktop and save them in a folder...

When A+ is reset,

you can re-import them back.
sadly to this day, the folders they were in is not back, you have to do it again...

Before doing this, maybe you should not connect after deleting those files to Roon or others...
Install A+ alone with your database... if working, log to Roon or else after. 

Apple hide the Home Folder in User Library at some time depending on OS System...

When you have clicked your Home Folder, and cannot see the Library Folder in there,

just do a ''cmd J'' to show the folder settings preferences and see at the bottom...

click Show Library Folder and then you'll have access to the rest forever. 

Starting for new A+:
Go to the Main Library Folder... PrivilegedHelperTools folder...
Trash All the files in that folder from A+ (that folder install SysOptimizer)
Go to the Main Library Folder... LaunchDaemons Folder...
Trash All the files in that folder from A+ (SystemOptimizer and prefs files)
Go to User... Home Folder... Library... Applications Support... Audirvana Folder...
Trash All the files in that folder (that is your database of music, back it up! or not)
Go to User... Home Folder... Library... Preferences...
trash com.audirvana.Audirvana-Plus.plist in that folder (those are A+ software preferences)
Go to User... Home Folder... Library... Caches… com.audirvana.Audirvana-Plus
trash the files in that folder

Restart MAC.  This will reset pretty much Audirvana like new.

When choosing library at first it will sync in top right main window under the logo...
LET IT GO, even better don't try to adjust windows or edit files, even playing music
while it is not finished... you'll see the progress bar going... Could be long the first time
depending on how large your library is, and MAC is fast or not...

Have you tried all that ?

Close A+
Start fresh A+

by deleting those files…

If you have Playlists that are important export them first to desktop and save them in a folder...

When A+ is reset,

you can re-import them back.
sadly to this day, the folders they were in is not back, you have to do it again...

Before doing this, maybe you should not connect after deleting those files to Roon or others...
Install A+ alone with your database... if working, log to Roon or else after. 

Apple hide the Home Folder in User Library at some time depending on OS System...

When you have clicked your Home Folder, and cannot see the Library Folder in there,

just do a ''cmd J'' to show the folder settings preferences and see at the bottom...

click Show Library Folder and then you'll have access to the rest forever. 

Starting for new A+:
Go to the Main Library Folder... PrivilegedHelperTools folder...
Trash All the files in that folder from A+ (that folder install SysOptimizer)
Go to the Main Library Folder... LaunchDaemons Folder...
Trash All the files in that folder from A+ (SystemOptimizer and prefs files)
Go to User... Home Folder... Library... Applications Support... Audirvana Folder...
Trash All the files in that folder (that is your database of music, back it up! or not)
Go to User... Home Folder... Library... Preferences...
trash com.audirvana.Audirvana-Plus.plist in that folder (those are A+ software preferences)
Go to User... Home Folder... Library... Caches… com.audirvana.Audirvana-Plus
trash the files in that folder

Restart MAC.  This will reset pretty much Audirvana like new.

When choosing library at first it will sync in top right main window under the logo...
LET IT GO, even better don't try to adjust windows or edit files, even playing music
while it is not finished... you'll see the progress bar going... Could be long the first time
depending on how large your library is, and MAC is fast or not...

Hey, thanks so much for the detailed instructions! I did try all of that, but alas, still looking at duplicates of 99% of my files (some DSD's are not in duplicate)

19 hours ago, damien78 said:

Can you check the complete path of two duplicated tracks?
For this you can use the Tracks details panel (Show Metadata Editor command of the View menu to raise it).
Then, at the top of this panel, you have the filename for the track. There is a small triangle left of it. Click on it to reveal the complete path.
If for two duplicated tracks the paths are different, this means these are duplicated files on your disk.
You may then want to check if you can delete one copy.

Hi Damien, thanks for getting back to me about this. They are all in exactly the same path and file name in A+'s track details panel.

I've checked several folders to make sure there's not an actual duplicate file and there isn't. They're on a Synology NAS I recently purchased. I do have "(Rescan all remote synchronized folders located on a network server when application starts" checked.

I do have a couple of files stored locally on the desktop and these are not duplicated in A+. It seems to only be a problem with the NAS files. It's a DS218+ with the latest software........... just occurred to me the problem may be the RAID's mirroring of files. If so, is there a way around this besides reformatting a NAS with mirroring off?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2018 at 11:47 AM, Rezseeker said:

Hi Damien, thanks for getting back to me about this. They are all in exactly the same path and file name in A+'s track details panel.

I've checked several folders to make sure there's not an actual duplicate file and there isn't. They're on a Synology NAS I recently purchased. I do have "(Rescan all remote synchronized folders located on a network server when application starts" checked.

I do have a couple of files stored locally on the desktop and these are not duplicated in A+. It seems to only be a problem with the NAS files. It's a DS218+ with the latest software........... just occurred to me the problem may be the RAID's mirroring of files. If so, is there a way around this besides reformatting a NAS with mirroring off?

Thanks

RAID mirroring is not causing my duplicate track problem. I tried without mirroring and still have basically all duplicate tracks..

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2018 at 6:03 PM, RunHomeSlow said:

For me the first thing i'll do is get my music NOT in the iTunes default folder.

Why iTunes is there anyway... you still use A+ with iTunes?

I'm sure you have checked not let iTunes runs your library or copy files there by itself...

Redelete all your prefs and cache and database, restart, put the music in another folder,

trash iTunes path from A+ prefs panel.

Add your music back maybe by letters of groups at small doses and see if it still add them in double...

A+ database has is funny way to works and sometimes need help from others here that discover somethings

you didn't know, but it works when your things are set the good way.

My A+ database, artists list, tags, genre... all follow in JRiver 24 database and in a tree way with HQplayer,

all covers from all groups follow in the 3 softwares...

i don't use iTunes on this computer, nothing on... my mp3 version goes to another hard disc on another mac.

Hey, thanks for the reply. The problem. I don't know why it created duplicates and I'm not sure what it was that finally rid my system of creating them,, but they seem to have finally been banished for good.

There were some folders that had "xxxx 1.aiff" duplicates so I actually had a file to delete there. That wasn't the case most of the time though - most just seemed to be ghosts. Anyway, all gone now.