IGNORED

Article: Music Storage, New Music, Remote Access, and a Cool Streamer Project

44 minutes ago, joelha said:

Chris,

Try Backblaze's personal use option.

Unlimited storage for about the same price as Amazon's old plan

All the best.

Joel

Hi Joel - Backblaze personal only allows backing up data that's on a computer. All my content is on a NAS. Backblaze appears to require a Backblaze B2 account for this.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

42 minutes ago, mrvco said:

For off-site backup I use Crashplan (including my digital music library).  The Family Plan is $149.99 / year w/ unlimited storage for up to ten machines.  There is also a single machine plan for $59.99 / year.

Trying to figure out Crashplan. It appears that a computer with a mapped drive is required to backup a NAS. The site is confusing with Crashplan and Code42 and different but similar options between then etc...

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

25 minutes ago, joelha said:

I've also been using Crashplan and after about 4TB's, the upload speed decreased considerably. Maybe the issue is on my end but my uploads to Backblaze are considerably faster with over 14TB's uploaded and counting.

Joel

Do you have a computer connected to the 14TB, that runs the Backblaze app?

1 hour ago, ShawnC said:

I love those old radio station dials.  If you're from the Twin Cities and older than 40, you'll recognize those stations immediately.  Where'd you get that?

Found it in my basement. Could have been here when we moved in 10 years ago. 

Oh yes, I know the stations. 

7 hours ago, number8 said:

@The Computer Audiophile

1/ Synology is about to market its cloud solution named Synology C2 at 0,005/GB/y usd

2/ buy a second NAS and replicate the main one. If possible set it up offsite. Toshiba N300 8TB is priced 280 usd. Put two of them in a new unit you don't even need to power up the backup NAS 24/7.

I researched C2 and it looks like it will be the same price as Backblaze $0.005 per GB per month

5 hours ago, jventer said:

Have a look at STORJ

Maybe we should also approach the existing bittorrent providers :)

STORJ looks cool, but also about $225 per month for my 15TB.

Would love to work with the Bit Torrent guys.

1 hour ago, silverarrows said:

It's not the same type of backup you're looking for, but what about Vox Loop to have another backup of your music? Also, another idea is to set up another NAS as a duplicate of yours and keep it at someone else's place. You can use Resilio Sync afterward to keep everything synced.

Ran across Resilio Sync last night. I will check it our again.

4 hours ago, sdolezalek said:

If you think about it, the storage business model is really backwards.  If all of us at CA stored duplicates of our entire music libraries in the cloud, think about how much waste and duplication there would be in terms of storage.  What we really need is a service that verifies what we each have, stores one copy of that on a safe server and then allows any subscriber to "restore" their collection as needed, based upon files previously verified as "owned.'  Who knows, my entire library might be just a tiny subset of Chris' or others here.  

Is there any way CA could start something like that as a subscription service?  My guess is that folks like Amazon, google, etc. wouldn't love it because they now all want to start charging us more for storage now that they have us on the hook.

I've often thought of this as well. It isn't rocket science to match files and save storage and bandwidth resources. 

With all the brilliant minds in this community, I'm sure someone could figure this out. 

2 hours ago, Johnseye said:

Lots of good feedback on backups already.  If the fine print eliminates all cloud options then backing up locally to disk is your best option.

With regard to accessing Roon remotely, I went through this exercise a while back.  If you're familiar with JRiver they utilize port forwarding and that combined with DDNS makes it very easy to access my library anywhere.  The JRemote app allows me to do that from my phone, so I can stream via Blutooth in my car or whatever, wherever.  I dug around for the Roon ports, which at one time were available but they changed that.  I posted some inquiries in the Roon forums which were a dead end.  Glad to hear they'll be incorporating it into their core app soon.

The problem with VPN is that if Roon isn't on the same subnet you're out of luck.  Similar port forwarding issue.  I had another experiment with isolating part of my network on a different subnet.  I could find no way to forward the traffic specific to the Core server's IP.

Hi Johnseye - With respect to remote access, JRiver works great for this. I wrote an article about it a while ago (see below). I'm trying to find a solution for the Roon only crowd :~)

I've seen different opinions about Roon working on a different subnet. Last I looked I saw a post from @dannyroonlabs that said different subnets shouldn't matter. The auto-discovery might be different, but we can always add the IP of the core manually.

Anyway, fun stuff.

16 minutes ago, EdmontonCanuck said:

Hi Chris....

I signed up for the unlimited storage option on Google Drive for my single user G-Suite Business account a couple of years ago and I've been paying $10CAD/month for it. I uploaded my 6TB library via Synology's cloud backup app.

I just double checked my storage options and it definitely says I have unlimited storage, so that's only $120/year that I've been paying.

I wonder if you're grandfathered into the plan. I looked at it yesterday and Google wouldn't enable me to select less than 3 users for the unlimited plan.

On 8/19/2017 at 5:46 PM, jimx1169 said:

I have an 8TB HDD and rent a safe deposit box from my local bank for $75/year.  Once per month or so I retrieve the drive from the box, bring it home and sync any new media, and take it back to the box the next day.

Very low tech but cheap & easy.  I could save the $75 and keep the drive at a friend's house but I always know when the bank is open.

If the safety deposit boxes had network connections, that would be really cool. 

Just now, Johnseye said:

So that's "relatively" nothing.  $720 over 6 years which is the typical lifetime of hardware like a NAS.  @The Computer Audiophile wouldn't that work for you?

I'd really love a solution I can configure on my NAS rather than have to run a PC just for the backup application. 

Been using CrashPlan for Small Business since yesterday. 

I wanted to install this on my Windows (CAPS Cortes) PC because it's powerful and it sits in a utility room. This PC runs all kinds of power hungry audio apps such as HQPlayer. However, after installing it, I found out that CrashPlan can only backup a mapped drive if it's on Mac or Linux. No windows. My NAS is a synology that I mapped to this Windows PC just for the purpose of backing up, but I'm out of luck there.

I installed the CrashPlan app on my iMac Retina 5K with 4 GHz i7 CPU and 16 GB of RAM. I work on this Mac all day, so this isn't ideal. There are settings for CrashPlan when the computer is active and when it isn't being used. I left it backing up last night (thus the app uses more of the system resources), and when I looked at it this AM, it said I have 5.3 months remaining on the backup. Not very cool, considering I have a 1 Gbps up/down internet connection. 

after working on this Mac today, and the app throttling back because I'm active on the computer, it now says I have 21.9 years left on the backup. Very not cool. 

If CrashPlan is installed on a computer that is used regularly, this backup will never complete. 

Should be talking to them shortly. 

Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 8.43.29 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 12.56.08 PM.png

11 minutes ago, Dr Tone said:

I backed up network shares from my 2012 R2 box.  When you install you have to install for the current user not all users.  Of course you must also stay logged in as it works as an app instead of a service at that point..  At least that's how it worked for the home version.

Yes, it's possible to do, but it isn't supported. I looked at this process - https://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/4/Backup/Back_up_files_from_a_Windows_network_drive

I just got off the phone with Code 42 / CrashPlan. The person I spoke with said they absolutely don't throttle anyone's upload/download speed at any time. 

I'm going to contact the more technical team at Code 42 to try to get some answers about speeding up backup and NAS install and Windows shares etc...

23 minutes ago, foodfiend said:

I also have 1 Gbps, but I only see such crazy speeds for local traffic. That was why I signed with Amazon Cloud, because they operate a data centre in country.

My bandwidth speed tests consistently show ~925 Mbps up and down. I can usually transport data as fast as the other allows.