• 2 months later...

When I first got my Eitr it did take 24 hours for a slight veil on the sound to lift. I also found sound was best going straight from laptop and avoiding a powered USB hub (on Windows.) I thought the Eitr was supposed to make all USB cables sound the same which I found was not true. Better cables do improve SQ I am using AudioQuest Diamond USB right now.

4 hours ago, Charente said:

Yes, indeed ... some respected CA members have ditched their expensive USB cables for the UpTone USPCB connector ... if you can physically accommodate it between your equipment. I can also recommend it.

Thanks for this! Intriguing idea to say the least. Unfortunately using a USPCB to connect a USB port to my Eitr is just not physically possible no way to make it work it is too short.

• 5 months later...

I have tried PC > USB > Brooklyn DAC+ and compared with PC > Eitr > Brooklyn DAC+ and the improvement in SQ using the Eitr is not subtle. See S/PDIF Battle: Mutec, Singxer, Lynx, Rednet, Eitr, Et Al.

The Schiit Eitr doesn’t make the sound “different.” The ESI Juli@ XTe is very neutral and does a great job of not coloring the sound. When compared directly to a Lynx E22, the Lynx (sorry for this overused expression) lifts a veil. Clarity, detail, and dynamics all improve with the Lynx above the ESI without changing the color of the music in any way.

That’s what the Eitr does. Switching between the ESI to the Schiit Eitr removes a bit of blurriness you didn’t realize was there. It doesn’t accentuate anything or color anything, it just allows the music to flow unfettered from the computer to your DAC.

It may very well be the best USB solution I’ve ever heard. No hint of the digital hash or swoosh I associate with USB. Beautifully black background. Effortless.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, TJHUB said:

This is disappointing news, but there are many other choices out there.  

If the new Unison USB is really as good as beta testers have reported it may well obsolete other outboard USB decrapifiers. Have to wait for the new USB to roll out to the general public. I will send my Yggy in for the new board as soon as Schiit makes it available.

The new USB receiver obsoletes Eitr and beta testers I have talked to say the difference is not subtle at all. If you watch the video Mike and Jason did at RMAF 2018 you can tell just how much of an advance they think it is. Again, have to wait for the reviewers to get the production boards and see how it fares. I assume the Unison USB will only be offered on DACs with replaceable USB boards (Bifrost and up) due to space limitations. If that is the case and Unison does sound fantastic Bifrost could be the DAC to buy under $1000.

• 6 months later...
On 8/15/2019 at 4:51 PM, Abtr said:

Did he actually say it is the last production run? Can you provide a link? If so, I'll buy some more. ;)

JS posted on SBAF today that when current stock of Eitr is sold there will be no more. If you want one buy before they are gone. Now that Unison USB is in production with introduction of the Bifrost 2 Eitr is being discontinued along with Wyrd.

3 hours ago, George Hincapie said:

What is Unison USB? I've clearly missed out on some news.

Unison USB is Schiit's new proprietary USB receiver. Mike Moffat prefers Unison to S/PDIF and this is from a designer who used to hate USB. You can read more about it at this thread on SBAF where Marv talks about his impressions of the new Bifrost 2.

For the forseeable future you can only get Unison on Bifrost 2 (now), then replacement USB boards for older Bifrosts, Gungnir and Yggdrasil in January 2020. I hope Schiit moves that date up, but it is probably intentional as Unison USB is not compatible with Windows 7 and January 2020 is end of support for Windows 7 by Microsoft.

Schiit is pretty active on SBAF and Jason often drops some news there that he does not post on HF.

Here's the real reason there won't be a Unison USB Eitr: they're not selling. If it was selling like Mani, oh hey yabetcha there'd be a Unison USB Eitr right around the corner.

If you like Schiit products and news it is worth browsing SBAF.

Schiit has been very busy this year releasing new products. All the new amps and preamps, Bifrost 2, Asgard 3, Ragnarok 2 with Sol turntable expected soon. If the CD transport is made I don't see it coming until 2020 and some months after the Unison USB cards are shipped for Bifrost, Gungnir and Yggdrasil projected in January. Maybe mid year for the CD transport we'll see.