IGNORED

10 grand - what set up would you recommend?

Just now, The Computer Audiophile said:

It all depends on your goals. Some people like to split functionality into separate boxes, making upgrades a bit less expensive and easier. 

Others want an all in one and call it a day. 

I got sick and tired of my current Spaghetti solution. FYI - using three Ultracap LPS-1s just to give you an idea. All the tweaks, wires, and stuff is driving me crazy. I am about to sell them all an get one device (rather two if you include my headphones Amp - GS-X MKII), and call it a day.

Just now, The Computer Audiophile said:

Then you should be pretty set with that unit :~)

Or with one of the below?

Ayre QX-5 Twenty
PS Audio Directstream w/ Network Bridge II built in
DEQX HDP-5
DEQX PreMate+
Krell Vanguard Universal DAC

They are all Roon Ready, and direct to Amp (volume control / preamp).

Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, GUTB said:

Separates are better performers. Possibly, cutting out DC-DC converters, ground plane segregation, EMI/RFI considerations, etc, outweighs shorter signal paths and closer matching in an integrated setup.

However, that wisdom gets turned on its head for PC audio where its observed that a single box solution performs better than a multi-box source.

Can you explain this a bit more? When I say "all-in-one", it is only DAC / Streamer combo. No amplification. Amplification will still be "separate".

Basically, my meaning of "all in one" is a DAC with a Streamer built in, and with Ethernet input for streaming, thus avoiding any USB connection in the path.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, skyline said:

I use a D1 as a streamer to my DAC, and with Pranawire power cord/conditioning, it's very, very good.

Using the D1 as a Streamer only? Such a waste.

there are cheaper and quite as good options for streamers only with no DAC. Such as SOtM sMS-200Ultra or ultraRendu 

3 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

Did you have a dac already, and bought the LUMIN as a player only for it, or did you buy the lumin and decide you like it as a player but wanted to upgrade the dac? And if so, what dac did you upgrade to?

That was not me. Please go back up, read previous messages, carefully paying attention to the username that posted that message. It wasn’t me. Sorry, I don’t know the reasons why he did what he did, since it wasn’t me

1 minute ago, BigAlMc said:

PS that spaghetti may not sound too complicated but factor in an ethernet into the Microrendu, two meanwells powering the two LPS-1s, 2 DC cables, a Lush USB cable, a USPCB doofer and an I2S cable. Once you consider all that then the digital path between my server and DAC consists of 13 items. 

So bolognese it might not be, but spaghetti it definitely is. 

I still fail to understand what's wrong with streaming directly through the PS Audio Directstream via its Network Bridge II (example: via Roon). Sounds bad?