IGNORED

Experience with power conditioners?

On 15/07/2017 at 8:45 PM, pam1975 said:

perfect, thank you!

I don't know where you live Pam but the US is awash with Topaz and Elgar transformers it seems:D....

They can be set up for different voltages so a trip to an EE first to check the settings and condition for safety. Wiring ect.

If I can explain this right...John Swenson advised these as they are cheapish to obtain and have advantages with low inner-winding capacitance. Attached to a simple non filtered cheap mains strip ( lower impeadance?). + other devices.

The lower inner winding capacitance helps filter out higher frequency mains noise. (Someone jump in if Iam telling it wrong)

The balanced aspect splits the power in half...opposite phase. When combined the difference is cancelled out.

It can produce an audible hum very low but can be an issue for some but with work arounds. 

If it is driving a power amplifier, some say peak power is more important(direct from wall) but for a cleaner pre amp Dac supply this is more suitable.

I opted for a UK balanced Isolation transformer by Airlink. It helped my simple set up and was a nice suprise.

Please note this is mainly paraphrased  and gleaned from CA and it's knowledgeable members and professionals. 

I know very little but appreciate the hard learned knowledge here and try to apply it as safely and cheaply as I am able.

I hope this helps a little @pam1975and any reader spotting any mistakes in the post let me/ Pam /ET AL..

Know..:)

Good luck and have fun

Dave

I know opinions and passions can get the better of us but the Question remains from @pam1975 For some solid advice.

Pam can you list your set up speakers amp and power budget you are prepared to spend?

One not so obvious is to have an electrician fit  wire cooker cable ie thick to a dedicated socket for your audio from the main supply.

If you have $5k-10,000 on a huge audiopile regenerator or can have big power filter transformers fitted at the mains..great.

But A budget and opinion from the personal experiences of these posters might at least give you a starting point..

Are you USA based UK AU Can EU.?

This will help with local brands..

Good luck

Dave

:D I wish I had that amount too...

Not knowing about Electrickery doesn't help me especially in counterpoint discussions. This was a low price gamble at £280 ish...No magic bullet as everyone's local/ internal supply and kit varies so much. But is it better with the ISO TRANS.. Yes in my case.

And...if my rig changes that stays.

But like I said a dedicated run to your audio gear room may be cheaper and remove some issues.

This can be stage 2 getting a transformer .

We have ring main loops in the UK. 

I have no more spare rcd spots on my consumer unit. I can't afford to replace mine yet.

Good luck Pam and have fun

Dave:)

Hi Pam @pam1975

As a start then it my be worth getting  balanced isolation transformer for at least your digital side but try the Amp also?

Or at least get some opinions from some deutsch forums on what they use and local manufacturers. 

Depending on how your set up is, my toroidal isolation transformer  with headphones 1m away I can't hear it.

John Swenson's big Topaz anvil is sound blocked in a box. There are some very modern sound blocking materials and a little ingenuity/ a box would not cause an issue. 

A note that my isolation transformer and a 230v Sine wave output UPS improvement was almost matched by the Iso regen and LPS1 in my view of improvement. So other parts of your system may benefit before power upgrading. Isotek plug filter did nothing for me and filtered power strip...

Find some German brands and try a second hand unit on Ebay or location ads.?

I don't think there is a cheap euro magic bullet. But you may get lucky and see if certain products work better for you and your electrical issues...

If possible try from friends systems, I have no friends so I can't O.o

Good luck

Dave

@gmgraves

https://airlinktransformers.com/product/standard-balanced-power-supply-bps1500#full-spec

I can't imagine a lot of Audiophile grade devices wouldn't be good O.o but I am glad industrial alternatives are a lot cheaper.

:D

Why I suggested @pam1975 look for a local German manufacturer for reduced cost and delivery. 

I  would have loved to try a Topaz Elgar transformer but the Toroidal balanced isolation transformer greatly improved my setup and bank balance.