IGNORED

Pure Vinyl sample rate switching with Weiss DAC2

agentsmith

Just downloaded Pure Vinyl for testing with my Weiss DAC2. When playing different sampling rate music, the software does not change sampling rate on the Weiss DAC2 automatically like Amarra.

One of the main attraction for me is the automatic sampling rate change which I thought Pure Vinyl supports.

Does anyone know if and how that feature is supported?

Thanks

Macbook Pro/MacMini/dCS Debussy/Cambridge 650BD[br]Vitus Audio SS-010/Living Voice OBX-R2 Speakers/Ultrasone Edition 8 phones[br]Airport Express/Meridian AD88[br]

PV does change the sampling rate automatically.

Wavelength Silver Crimson/Denominator USB DAC, Levinson 32/33H, Synergistic Research Cables and AC cables, Shunyata Hydra V-Ray II with King Cobra CX cable, Wilson Sasha WP speakers with Wilson Watch Dog Sub. Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable/ Grahm Phantom/Koetsu Jade Platinum. MacBook Pro 17\" 2.3GHz Quad Core i7, 8GB RAM, Pure Music, Decibel, Fidelia, AudioQuest Diamond USB Cable.

>> I thought it was supported! How are you sure that the weiss isn't changing?

The Weiss shows sample rate changes on the front LED, plus it clicks while changing.

Macbook Pro/MacMini/dCS Debussy/Cambridge 650BD[br]Vitus Audio SS-010/Living Voice OBX-R2 Speakers/Ultrasone Edition 8 phones[br]Airport Express/Meridian AD88[br]

Why should it click, it is not locking again it just has differnet input rate! At least my Weiss Medea does that...

Have you tried relaunching the application?

MacBook Pro > M2Tech Evo > Stylos SYS HAD > Sovereign Director > Sovereign Power > Tidal Piano Cera (Cabling: Argento)

My D-05 does the same thing. . .with my Lynx set to internal clock, any time the sample rate changes the D-05 re-locks on the new rate.

This wasn't working yesterday. I also have the unstable version of Play loaded. . .it features automatic sample rate adjustment (although Stephen is working on some bugs) and works just fine (except for said bugs).

I'll have to try PV again tonight. . .

BPT 3.5 Ultra/Reference 3A Reflectors/MSB Technology S201 Amplifier/MSB Technology Analog DAC/MSB Technology Network Renderer/Audirvana +

OK Here is what I find out.

If I: (1) Quit iTunes and PureVinyl; (2) Set Sample Rate to 96KHz from Weiss control panel; (3) Open PureVinyl and iTunes:- Then the sample rate would change between 44.1 and 96KHz tracks. BUT NO SOUND COMES OUT. AND CANNOT CHANGE to 192KHz

If I: (1) Quit iTunes and PureVinyl; (2) Set Sample Rate to 44.1KHz from Weiss control panel; (3) Open PureVinyl and iTunes:- Then the sample rate would NOT change between 44.1 and 96KHz tracks. BUT I can play all tracks with sound.

If I: (1) Quit iTunes and PureVinyl; (2) Set Sample Rate to 192KHz from Weiss control panel; (3) Open PureVinyl and iTunes:- Then the system complaints about not able to set input to 192. Then the sample rate would change between 44.1 and 96KHz tracks. BUT NO SOUND COMES OUT. AND CANNOT CHANGE to 192KHz

I am confused.

The "click" is made by the DAC as it loses and re-acquires lock. I think this is fundamental. . .if the frequency changes the DAC can't retain it's lock until the new rate is acquired. The click isn't made by the software nor does it come through the speakers.

The whole idea of sample rate adjustment is for the DAC to adjust to the native rate of the file being played. It shouldn't matter what rate the DAC is set to initially. . .if it's set to 44.1K and you play a 96K file, the DAC should switch to 96K.

This works with Play, but not (at least not consistently) with PV.

BPT 3.5 Ultra/Reference 3A Reflectors/MSB Technology S201 Amplifier/MSB Technology Analog DAC/MSB Technology Network Renderer/Audirvana +

Assume you are using Firewire. Here's what I did:

Set the Weiss to the highest sampling rate of the music you intend to play (in my case, that's 176). Played one of the hi res tracks then selected a CD rip - the Weiss clicks over, the new rate shown at the top of PV and the music starts. Let me have a contact e-mail if you want to compare settings, otherwise Rob is very responsive if you use their support mail address.

Steve

Audirvana Plus/Dirac Live - Weiss 202 - Lavardin IT-15 - Art Emotion Signatures.  DragonFly Red - Sennheiser HD600s & IE800s.