IGNORED

Music Streamer II+ asynchronous???

Just found this ad for the music streamer II+...says it supports 24/96 and asynchronous data transfer protocol???

Anyone heard or seen this unit, I only find reviews on the original model...

Thanks

Arnoldhasmail

"Musicstreamer II+

New for 2010! Improved version of the original HRT Music Streamer+, now featuring full 24/96 Hi-Res capability and asynchronous data transfer protocol. Fully compatible with USB 1.1 and above for full bandwidth performance!

The Music Streamer II+ is a high performance music interface that allows a computer and a home entertainment system to become perfect partners. With its unique topology, the Music Streamer provides a completely isolated path between the computer and audio system. No more audio contamination by the computer; your music will always sound its best. There are no external power supplies to worry about because the Music Streamer derives its power from the USB buss while completely regenerating power for all its internal circuitry using a sophisticated set of proprietary circuits.

Operation is simple: just plug the Music Streamer into any USB port on your computer and the Music Streamer will install itself and be ready for use in a matter of moments. Connect the other end of the Music Streamer into any analog input and you are ready to stream high quality computer based music. The Music Streamer provides full support for applications such as iTunes™ and Windows Media Player™ direct to your home entertainment system, with a level of quality never before possible. You can also use the Music Streamer to listen to internet radio or other music subscription services such as Rhapsody ™ or Napster™in high quality through your Home Entertainment System, Television or Stereo system.

High Resolution Technologies Music Streamer, the product for tomorrow, is available today.

* Specifications for Music Streamer II+:

* Electrical: Full Scale output 2.25 Volts RMS

* Frequency Response: (20 Hz/20 kHz) 0dB /-.5 dB

* Noise Floor: (DC to 30 kHz) 20 uV RMS

* S/N Ratio: (DC to 30 kHz) 101 dB

* THD+N: (1 kHz FS) 0.008%

* USB to Audio output isolation: > 20M Ohm

* Interface Data Rate: up to 96kS/s

* Bit Depth: up to 24 bit

* Transfer Protocol: asynchronous

* USB type: 1.1 or above

* Power Requirements (USB bus): 350 mA

* Dimensions: (L x WxH) 5.1" x 2.1" x 1.2" "

Fate ain't just whos' cooking smells good but which way the wind blows...

This is one of those products I eluded to in my 2010 CES Notes article. I wasn't familiar with the person I talked to at the show and had no idea if they would equate async SRC with async USB. It would be very cool to chalk this one up on the async USB board and increase the competition for everyone.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 6 months later...

Ahhhmmm, I’ve had the HRT Music Streamer 11 (£132) for a while now. I had the Music Streamer 11+ (£320) for a few days on loan. I’ve got the HRT Music Streamer Pro (£475) coming tomorrow I hope, and that I’m going to keep. I’ve built a balanced input stage in my amp for it using mini XLR connectors so I don’t need the Cardas cables or adaptors and to be frank, I haven’t been so excited about the prospect of a new bit of kit for years. I’ve been banging on about this range of products all over these forums.

The basic model MS11 is the real bargain I think. I couldn’t find anything to touch it in the price range.

The HRT MS 11+ gave some sonic improvements in my system but at £320 I wanted a bit more than I thought it gave. The Pro is has the top specs by quite a margin

Dedicated Mains Cond dis block. Custom Linux Voyage MPD server. HRT Music Streamer Pro, Linear mains powered ADUM Belkin Gold USB cable. TP Buffalo 11, Custom XLR interconnects/Belkin Silver Series RCA. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp.Van de Hull hybrid air lock speaker cables. Custom 3 way Monitors,Volt 250 bass&ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621Mid & D2905/9300Hi. HD595 cans.[br]2)Quantum Elec based active system self built.

• 4 months later...

I admit that I'd like to hear the higher models, but you'd be surprised by just how few DACs (Chinese made or otherwise) are available for $200 (delivered) here in Oz. That's less than many people pay for a DAP ...

I would add the following words of caution from John Atkinson when he measured the performance of the original Streamer/Streamer+ - it may come as a reality check for those of us who want a 2K DAC for a tenth of the price:

'High Resolution Technologies' Music Streamer+ does offer greater resolution than their basic Music Streamer, but neither offers outstanding measured performance. However, the low prices, particularly of the Streamer, should be borne in mind. The point of these products is not to provide state-of-the-art performance at an affordable price; instead, they are intended to offer enough of what is possible from computer-based audio to act as high-end starting points. One caution is appropriate, however, given that music is now becoming available with bit depths greater than 16: Because the PCM2706 chip used in both Streamers truncates the incoming data to 16 bits, it's possible that playing back 24-bit files will result in worse sound than from 16-bit files.—John Atkinson'

Personally, I'll take good 16/44.1 playback over the thin sound I was getting from my previous DAC, a Chinese-designed unit that insisted on upsampling everything to 192 over Toslink.

Just one more headphone and I know I can kick this nasty little habit !

Regarding the Stereophile article, I couldn't agree more. There's little doubt that a $200 device shouldn't outperform a reasonable priced $2000 dac.

The MS+ is a dedicated entry level USB NOS 16/44.1 dac and was, at the time of it's release, a very competitive option. No $ spent on looks or extra features, such as 24bit playback, volume control, upsampling, headphone amp, more inputs, etc.

I have personally compared my MusicStreamer+($200 when the MS II+ came out) with the 2x more expensive Cambridge DacMagic ($430) side by side via USB. I preferred the sound of the HRT by far, fuller and much more organic. In comparison, the DacMagic sounded dry and thin.

I expect the MusicStreamer HD ($800-$900) to get me relatively close in SQ to a Wyred4Sound DAC2 ($1500), saving on the cost of features such as:

-Remote control

-Defeatable - 32 bit volume control

-HT Bypass inputs (selectable via DC trigger)

-2x Coax inputs

-2x Toslink inputs

-1x Balanced I2S input via HDMI cable (not standard HDMI cable format)

I wouldn't be too quick to extend the Stereophile measurements of the original Streamer and Streamer+ with the II and II+. The II and II+ are both 24/96 and async USB. The originals were not async (which as we know can make a huge difference, particularly on measured jitter), and may not have been able to handle 24/96 (sorry no time right now to look that up). But in comparing the II in particular to the original, the specs given by HRT show some real improvements.

The whole range is 24/96 capable.

I’ve had them all now and I think you’ll be hard pressed to find anything better in their respective price ranges.

Dedicated Mains Cond dis block. Custom Linux Voyage MPD server. HRT Music Streamer Pro, Linear mains powered ADUM Belkin Gold USB cable. TP Buffalo 11, Custom XLR interconnects/Belkin Silver Series RCA. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp.Van de Hull hybrid air lock speaker cables. Custom 3 way Monitors,Volt 250 bass&ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621Mid & D2905/9300Hi. HD595 cans.[br]2)Quantum Elec based active system self built.

Thanks guys - the tone of the magazine article I read was that the base model II was largely the original '+' model, with the focus moving to the 'II+' and Pro models (and now the HD model). Reading the 6Moons article on the Pro made me realise just how different that model is to the other two in the current range, and I have to wonder whether the HD will separate itself even further. I was drawn to the description of the original Streamer as 'warm, dense, organic', even though this combination is antithetical to many audiophiles. Clinical levels of separation, soundstage and minute detail are great with some music, but personally they arent my alpha and omega.

Sorry - late edit - Kevin Halvorsen goes to great pains in the 6Moons article to point out that HRT wrote their own code for the asynch USB on the new Streamers, and the accompanying screenshots who the app which allows users to choose between adaptive and asynchronous USB - it would be interesting to run some DBT between the two and compare notes on the outcome. I also like what Halvorsen has to say about the audiophile obsession with part numbers over implementation - he is adamant that good circuit design is more important than having Chip 'XYZ'. Perfect world, I'd like both, but for $200 I'll take what I can get :)

Just one more headphone and I know I can kick this nasty little habit !