IGNORED

Pro Audio Two-Channel ADC's Shootout

Yes you're right ... its an interesting article.

Does that comment pass your approval??

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

an interesting read.

not sure where to begin with my thoughts in response.

it was interesting that these testers (representing recording engineer's point of view) were more taken with ADCs/DACs that changed the sound - preferring the Mytek becuase of it's unusual/unique characteristics. :)

The inverse square was the most interesting 'test' to me, as it compounds the effects of any issues, i.e. summing out the common signal. That the Mytek was the 'least flat' response here was very telling to me - not something I'd want as a audiophile product. The Benchmark was the second least flat, so ditto. Both the Lavry and Benchmark has emphasis in mid-bass and in the 5-8 Khz range.

That the Benchmark was dead last overall was not a surprise to me, but it might be to those who own one! :)

Kinda sad that so much positive emphasis was placed on what I would call 'deviations' from what was recorded. yikes!

It was quite interesting also that the guys doing the testing were very unimpressed with the Prism, and the actual engineer they brought in as a 'sanity check' preferred it, whereas the testers had called it plastic, 'over recorded', etc.

note: I have heard that the Prism 'house sound' is of the smooth/silky persuasion, which is relatively consistent with the comments the engineer reported.

That they chose a ten year old Prism to test, when the Orpheus is available was an odd choice. That they only choose devices that were in separate boxes (ADC from DAC) was kinda odd to me as well, given that ULNs and Orpheus are one box wonders. Perhaps these might skew the test?

there you go, Jason,

clay

PS, their recording gear has good reputation. I own a Sound Devices pre, Grace pre and a set of DPA omnis myself. :)

• 1 year later...

I think they went out of their way to limit it to 2 channel products. They put artificial limitations in their selections in such a way that it benefits the conclusion they wanted to come to. Its funny that he says near the end that he had no knowledge of prices until after the "testing".

So yeah I guess lets all go buy the Mytek.