IGNORED

Why Do People Come To Computer Audiophile To Display Their Contempt For Audiophiles?

if there were some strong effect from something else, they could have trained for freq. response and NOT found that listeners most often found problems with freq. response

- no irony; the study simply shows that there is no such effect that is invariant w.r.t. training re freq. response

8 hours ago, Jud said:

And perhaps the visitors to Procrustes’ inn all ought to learn how to fit into the one bed? ;)

Toole and Olive take a sonic characteristic to which most people are relatively insensitive, frequency response over the entirety of the audible spectrum; they as engineers feel people ought to be sensitive to it; and so they train people to be more sensitive to it.  In the process they also are training the same listeners *not* to prioritize characteristics to which people are immediately sensitive, such as phase linearity, with the role it plays in the fundamental auditory function of locating sounds.  Having changed the way people listen from normal, they then designate the result an improvement.  And some folks are even of the opinion *everyone* ought to learn to listen abnormally, since this would make them smarter. :) 

I am thinking if engineers were able to make designs that were more sophisticated than our level of knowledge and technology currently allows, they would be able to design speakers that reproduce the key characteristics of reality as people actually hear it, rather than taking what we currently know and are able to build and training people to think of it as accurate.

WOW!!  Way to mischaracterize something!

well, do you accept his stmt. that every component (even passive ones, and even resistors) has a non-linearity?

and further, that those non-linearities can be heard when listening to music?

if so, it necessarily follows that every amp will have a sonic difference

But, I think a better approach is to look at the amp driving a speaker (i.e. a complex load) and find non-linearities there...

34 minutes ago, jabbr said:

I can state with confidence that all amplifiers, even copies of individual brands, will have measurable differences. I am not making such an absolute claim to audibility -- let's say that amplifiers often have a sonic signature 

sounds about right

we do need to be careful with some of these findings - e.g. we won't be operating any components from 350 K to 4.7 K so the Johnson noise may not be an issue; the same researchers (last URL) did find that 1/f noise was not T-dependent 

1st - amps (that can drive your speakers well) are not the place to look for big changes in SQ

2nd - I suspect that active components will be more important than resistors in affecting SQ (not so sure re capacitors)

3rd - I am going to defer replacing (or testing new amps for possible replacement) of my Sunfire amp, and replace my DAC first (see #1 above)

It would certainly be an interesting test to see if listeners could hear different amps in a reliable test.  We would need a cheap source of subjects, and a high quality system + a listening space with an acoustically transparent curtain.  College students are often a good source of cheap subjects (and have good hearing) so we just need to find a college professor with a good sound system...

7 hours ago, AJ Soundfield said:

Utter nonsense is a good point?

So it's blind test "bias" why audiophiles can't hear Santa and Uri Geller can't bend spoons under controlled conditions? Really?

you seem to be confused about what was said - please go back and read it again

esl, he is essentially saying that one might be biased to look only in certain places for something

thus, a bias in the design of an experiment could result in a bias that affects the outcome

a bit similar to the classic joke of a guy looking for his car keys under a light pole, a passerby asks about them and helps look only to find out he lost them in a dark spot several yards away ("but it's light over here")

2 hours ago, wushuliu said:

Now that I see some typically divisive rhetoric from names familiar from other forums it's clear this thread has hit bottom.

there are some valid points being made, but a loft of sifting is required to find the wheat in the mounds of chaff