IGNORED

What uncontroversial audible differences cannot be measured?

39 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Nope :P . When I first achieved "envelopment", 30 years ago, just using two speakers I fell off my chair, so to speak - this ... is ... amazing ... !!  - what else could I have thought ... :). I was hooked, and every other system I came across after that was "pretty pathetic", in comparison.

Only recently have I understood what appears to be going on, when I became aware of ASA, courtesy of another enthusiastic explorer, John Kenny. The ear/brain is perfectly capable of decoding what the spatial cues represent if the reproduction is of high enough quality - why the illusion normally fails to materialise is that the clarity falls short, especially when the amplifiers and speakers are asked to deliver the SPLs necessary to create the "sound pool" in the room - in car terms, you need V8 ease and refinement, not a screaming 4 cylinder engine.

Yes, Frank, falling off your chair did a permanent number on your noggin.  There is absolutely no evidence you ever recovered.  And, given that, it is also clear to us that you have absolutely no idea what we are talking about.  

And, neither you nor Kenny, known here under his hush, hush incognito alias of mmerrill99, if not other disguises, or the ASA miracle is anything other than audiophile fantasyland.  Duh!

3 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Just curious ... it appears that you have never experienced the "invisible speaker" behaviour that I speak about - am I correct?

Actually, I have been experiencing precisely that for many decades in stereo, and especially over the last 10 years via hi rez ITU multichannel.  There is no sense with countless discretely recorded hi rez Mch recordings of the existence of separate speaker channels in a properly calibrated system.  What is it that you think you have uniquely discovered that did no already exist?

26 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Not unique - others have done so - but, rare ... I am not talking about sitting in an optimum, "sweet spot" - I am talking about being able to walk around anywhere in the room where the music is playing, including right up to where an individual speaker is, with its drivers - and not be able to perceive, only using one's ears, that this lump of wood and other bits is contributing to the soundfield.

Frank, I am utterly in awe, utterly just beyond all thresholds of excitement that you, there in the hinterlands of the great nation of Australia, could have discovered this stunning and remarkable advance in audio, which, alas, has absolutely no proof, corroboration or supporting evidence whatsoever.  But, I am sure that you are working on those mere details while you tell the world all about your great new discoveries.  We are indeed fortunate to have you here to give us all this preview of this next great phase of audio.

14 hours ago, Paul R said:

You seem have some kind of allergic reaction to the fact that a common system can - at least in many people's considered opinion, including mine - produce sound that is technically better than sitting anywhere in a live concert. Our systems do, in fact, provide the "best seat in the house" to many many performances. That includes classical performances 

Paul - I have excerpted this paragraph from your post because I am really interested in understanding your point of view.  If you could be so kind, could you list the components and any special features of your system for us? I suspect many others are also curious about how what you say can be achieved: sound that is better than live from recordings played on your home system.

Several days ago I posted about the huge differences in how pop and jazz music was presented live vs. classical music.  Yes, there are normally acoustic and other problems with pop and jazz live, so I concede that studio mixes often sound better than the live version in those genres.  So, I do not doubt that recordings played at home are often better.

Classical music is where you have stimulated my curiousity, as well as doubts, especially since these days most classical music is recorded in the same venue as live performance, and it is often recorded before a live audience.  I wonder if you could reveal some of the recordings that lead you to your conclusions as well as giving us some insight in how frequently you attend live classical concerts, as well as the venues you use and the ensembles you typically see.

I take your point about others making unnecessary noise at live concerts.  This happens to me occasionally, too.  But, really it is quite seldom here in Philadelphia.

So, please tell us more about how you have reached your conclusions.

13 hours ago, fas42 said:

A comment on the car radio thing: I run these radios at the maximum treble setting, which just gives them enough sparkle to make them interesting to listen to - the "normal" treble setting is equivalent to disconnecting the tweeter on a decent box speaker. Of course this will sound atrocious if the radio is in bad shape, hence the conditioning exercise ...

Frank - I think it is quite clear that you have a significant hearing problem, and you should consult an audiologist.  It is speculation, but I suspect that may be a result of age and turning the volume way up in stress tests, as you have often said you do.

I find it interesting that almost every time I hop into a rental car, the previous user has done exactly what you say with the treble and bass equalizer settings, sometimes the midrange, as well. Personally, that always sounds horrible to me, and I adjust those usually to dead flat.  I find that as important as adjusting the seat and mirrors.  And, it sounds much better to me that way, even as an old geezer.

But, to each, his or her own preferences.  Glad you are happy.  However, you have revealed that your hearing is impaired and that all sonic judgements you make are obviously skewed so as not to be relevant to the larger population of normal listeners.

5 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Oh c'mon ... sitting in a club watching Buddy Guy play right in front of me has never been captured by any recording ... and we were drinking lots of beers ... can't remember needing to pee until after the show ;) ... also ChicagoFest, Saturday July 4th, 1981 ... CTA ... crowd went bezerk and that's never been captured. Could go on and on. Grateful Dead, great sound... of course there are many crappy bands with bad sound.

Sitting in front of a quartet: priceless.

I know, I know convenience. But trust me, if you've ever been up close to a hot cellist intently playing... recordings never do that justice 9_9

I have limited experience with live rock, more with jazz and a whole lot in classical.  Paul is certainly entitled to his opinion, and there are times when it might be true.  But, I suspect, especially with acoustic instruments in the right venue, that you are exactly right.

But, his points about classical music are basically total King of the Mountain BS, based on his "I know better than you mere mortals and my system, which I am not going to reveal, is simply awesome" mindset.  Classical recording engineers, and I know a few, for heaven's sake, totally reject his position, and are happy when they even come remotely close to live.