IGNORED

What uncontroversial audible differences cannot be measured?

13 hours ago, Jud said:

I could presumably have used the analog audio input on my MBP, though I don't know its quality.  And I wouldn't have had much idea what I was looking at in Audacity (that being the only software I would have known to use for the purpose).  But I didn't think of that, just listened instead.

You didn't need any test equipment at all, just your ears.

Start with two identical channels. Feed them identical signals. Invert the output of one and electrically mix it with the other. Trim the levels until maximum cancellation is achieved (audibly). Change the components in one channel and see if the cancellation is less exact, and more importantly, if the difference signal is audible at normal listening levels.

(Nowadays of course, you could record the 2 channels and invert and level match in Audacity.)

"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.

Frank, most people are able to "suspend belief / reality" in some circumstances. For example, when watching a well made movie. It's clear that you have the gift of being able to do this to a much greater degree than most people. Those people not so gifted require much closer correspondence between the live and reproduced sound.

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.

4 hours ago, fas42 said:

... - it's so easy to quote your own post ...

Much of the time, when I read your posts it appears that this is what you intended. :)