IGNORED

Airport Extreme & NAS

I've got an external hd connected to my airport extreme (via USB) right now. If I wanted to go with a Drobo or some other type of Raid 5 set-up, I could just connect this to the airport extreme via the usb connection. But then this isn't considered a NAS (right?), despite it having what I understand to be all the characteristics of a NAS? Basically, I'd like a solution which provides some level of fault tolerance (hence the Raid 5), a fast transfer rate from the file location to my pc, and isn't connected directly to my pc because of fan noise issues.

Digital:  SonicTransporter I5 powered by Uptone JS-2,  Ghent Ethernet throughout, Ultra-Rendu's, Ghent DC cables, Curious and Ghent USB

Living Room:  Rethm Trishna, MicroZotl2, Auralic Vega, Rel E112 sub (High Fidelity ic's, DIY pc's and speaker wire from VH Audio)

Office:  Chord Hugo2, Feniks Essence, Rel 218, Noble Kaiser Encores, PM3

I'd consider the proposed solution a NAS. However you will want to check out the DroboShare as an alternative to the Airport Extreme USB connection. The DroboShare is purpose built for this solution whereas the AE has USB HDD connectivity as a feature that's not very robust compared to the DroboShare.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

This is a complete newbie question then. I see in your set-up that you have an AE but also a Gb network switch. This is where I get confused. Is it the case that the AE distributes the internet connection and the network switch distributes the data on the NAS? I thought the network switch would obviate the need for an AE.

Digital:  SonicTransporter I5 powered by Uptone JS-2,  Ghent Ethernet throughout, Ultra-Rendu's, Ghent DC cables, Curious and Ghent USB

Living Room:  Rethm Trishna, MicroZotl2, Auralic Vega, Rel E112 sub (High Fidelity ic's, DIY pc's and speaker wire from VH Audio)

No worries about newbie questions around here :~)

The Airport Extreme that connects to my Internet service is part of my wireless network as well as the wired network. I have a gigabit switch in my music server closet because I don't want to run several Ethernet cables back to the utility room when I add a new music server. I can have seven Ethernet connections in the music server closet and only run one cable back to the Airport Express.

"I thought the network switch would obviate the need for an AE"

There are many ways to configure this including what you mention. Again, the AE gives me a wireless connection that a gigabit switch would not.

Does this help? Let me know if it raises more questions.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Chris,

Ok, I think I'm beginning to understand. I now understand the role of the switch. Is the NAS connected to the AE via an ethernet cable? If not, how is the NAS physically connected to the network. Wouldn't an ethernet connection between the AE be preferred over a USB because of higher transfer rates? If so, I'm confused why anyone would use the USB cable. Or do the USB connections facilitate plug/play solutions (for people like me), whereas a NAS requires some configuration.

Thanks again for the help.

Joe

Hi Joe - Correct, I connect the NAS to AE via Ethernet cat6 cable. USB is an option because of simplicity. You can connect a single hard drive to the AE and run through the Apple Airport software to set it up. This also enables one to use Time Machine backup. NAS units do require a bit of configuration. Anything worth while always requires a bit of effort in my experience :~)