IGNORED

ISO REGEN Listening Impressions (kicked off with some measurements)

Literally just plugged in the ISO Regen.  Like @Doak said earlier, the sound it very clean but I find it also has an organic nature to it that wasn't there before.  Listening to Giovanni Miabassi Trio's Live at the Blue Note, Tokyo, the most striking element is the clarity of the symbals -- there's a realism and presence I haven't experienced before.

Look forward to seeing how things change as it burns in!

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
  • 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, scottmac62 said:

Thanks for the comparison Tone Deaf.  More organic is what I am looking for, and this is what I have experience with the original REGEN.  I was using mine with a Bel Canto Reflink SPDIF converter and never noticed any improvement in sound staging, but the music was more relaxed with improved vocal timbres.  If the IR improves on this, I will be a very happy customer.  

I'm really enjoying the ISO Regen -- definitely a step up from the original Regen.  I'm finding the ISO Regen more organic, more natural, more effortless is its presentation.  I'm switching dacs so temporarily using an original VDAC.  The ISO Regen even makes that sound sweet!

BTW -- I have a straight USPCB with mine, but now could use a right angle one.  Anyone want to trade?!

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
5 hours ago, Vangelis said:

Can  anyone tell me where I can source a Y-cable and what the specifications for the plugs are?  Glad to hear the LPS – 1 one can drive both Uptone units simultaneously without any sonic issues. 

here you go -- ghent audio.  5.5mm x 2.1mm plugs.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, agladstone said:

Does the ISO Regen get hot when being used for a long time? 

I'm also thinking about supporting it to relieve strain on the USB input and I'm thinking that bubble wrap or similar may melt if used vs say something DYI from wood or Aluminum, etc ? 

My iso regen runs slightly warm, nothing to worry about. Someone at one point suggested Legos for support. We've got tons of pieces around so I used some. Works great!

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, DSK6 said:

I've skimmed most of the pages in this thread and can see that a few people have inserted the ISO/LPS-1.2 between PC or streamer and the SU1, then run I2S to their DAC.

Has anyone compared this to removing the SU1 from the path and running the ISO directly into the DAC via USB?

I'm running Aries femto (SBooster LPS) > Curious USB > Intona Industrial > Curious USB > Matrix SPDIF 2 (LPS-1) > I2S > Holo Spring 2 DAC > Kinki EX-M1 amp > Silverline Sonata III speakers & Rythmik sub. 

I could order the ISO without the LPS-1.2 and use the LPS-1 from my Matrix SPDIF 2 if I drop the Matrix and I2S cable from the path and use the ISO and USBPCB directly into the DAC. 

Is the benefit of the ISO/USBPCB direct into the DAC likely to be greater than any loss from not using I2S?

in your chain, the iso is really more like the intona than the matrix.  have you run the same experiment with your intona?

35 minutes ago, DSK6 said:

Thanks jcn3. I figured that but was concerned that I could lose some of the "ISO greatness" by having it connected to the Matrix DDC instead of the Spring DAC.

So I wondered whether anyone has compared their ISO with and without their SU1 DDC? If there is little or no sonic difference it would save me having to buy another LPS-1.2 and eliminate one box from the chain.

You raise a good point … I haven't re-tested the Intona since changing from separates to the integrated Kinki amp recently (it only has about 30 hours on it so far). 

btw -- do you have the level 2 spring dac (original version) or the new 2nd version of the spring dac?  if you have the new version, supposedly the usb input is much, much better than the previous version. (i haven't heard either)

• 3 months later...
36 minutes ago, musicguy said:

I would like to buy a data only cable for my isoregen.   Made by  j maxwell.

musicguy

the isoregen is expecting 5v over the usb cable.  if you use a data only cable, the isoregen won't work.

2 hours ago, musicguy said:

@jcn3

I get what your saying.   But if im powering it by the lps 1.2 does it need the usb 5 volt signal.   NO one has answered this.   Thats 2 pwer supplies.   so is the 5 volts a signal input now??

musicguy

yes, you need the 5v signal via usb AND the lps1.2 for the isoregen.

• 3 months later...