IGNORED

Proper Grounding a system

17 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Grounding boxes is actually a very interesting subject. Partly because it is mysterious but mostly because it really works IRL.

The problem is that there is no electrical or mechanical explanation provided for how these devices work.

The only two functions I can see that such an open circuit can perform are to act as a receiving or a broadcasting antenna.

Certainly receiving RFI is not a good thing, as that just injects additional noise into the device.

So, is it that it's broadcasting noise out as radio waves that makes this work? At least that will convert some of the noise energy into RFI. Even if this is the explanation,  I'd think that there are much better, more effective (and cheaper) ways to set up an antenna than using a wooden box with some rocks or dirt in it. 

30 minutes ago, Speedskater said:

Why doesn't a proponent of grounding boxes explain how they work?

They do! Here's a 'detailed' description:

The Audio Sensibility Grounding Devices act as a sink to absorb excess negative charge in the component ground plane.

Besides all the obvious violations of laws of Physics, this tells me nothing as to why this might be a good thing.

36 minutes ago, lasker98 said:

Perhaps you missed the second sentence of that paragraph? The one that reads "For more explanation go here."?

No, didn't miss it. What it takes you to is this:

http://www.audiosensibility.com/products/groundingdevices.htm#OriginOfDevices

This does not contain any explanation, at all. There is a link to the DYIAudio website which contains a ton of discussion by others. What's missing is a clear explanation by the manufacturer of the device of how it operates without violating laws of nature. Point me to that, please, preferably in less than a 2,346 page discussion thread.

1 hour ago, Daudio said:

Do we need a formal Brainstorming session here ? Or do we have enough smart, educated folks to set aside the critical side of their brain for a moment, and look for serious alternate theory's ?

Alternative theory implies that the current theory is incorrect. That is, that some or all of the existing, proven theories of electricity, magnetism, electric fields, electro-magnetic radiation, etc. are wrong and need to be updated with an 'alternative theory'. This is not a question of opinion or belief, this requires a real scientific proof from those that claim this. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, and I've not seen any evidence yet, especially from those selling these devices. 

18 minutes ago, Daudio said:

Duh, yeah ! But not that current electrical theory is wrong, no, no, no.

Unfortunately, I've not seen any explanation that would not violate known laws of physics.

• An open circuit will not conduct electricity, i.e., no electric charge will move over an open wire
  • An excessive electric charge will not build up on the ground plane of an audio device, since ground plane is a part of a closed circuit
  • A box of rocks with just one wire can't capture or store 'excess negative charge from the ground plane'
  • Even if it did, somehow, it would itself become electrically charged and would shock you when touched, or at the very least would stop attracting additional charge. Perhaps you need to drain the box every few milliseconds? Is that in the instructions? ;)
35 minutes ago, Daudio said:

If you totally disbelieve all those reports, then why would you want to waste your time in this thread. (hint: "Somebody on the Internet is Wrong" is not an acceptable answer  :) )

I've been curious to learn something new, but it looks like there's nothing new to learn. No real explanation being provided. I think you're right, I'm getting to my fill with this discussion.

10 minutes ago, YashN said:

I did mention the possibility of an Entreq working as an antenna. In that case, it would be rather comical as one could expect the overall explanation to be linked to some Euphonic effects.

I mentioned the same thing a while back. Now I'm wondering, can I tune into different radio stations with it? Would classical radio make my DAC sound better than, say, rock when injected into its ground plane? Does NPR produce better euphonic effect than sports radio? So many new things to try! :)

17 minutes ago, Jud said:

@marce, are there ways noise in the MHz frequency range might adversely affect audio that you know of?

MHz noise will have very little effect on analog components, as these usually operate under 100Khz and often under 20Khz.

MHz noise can affect digital circuits. My quad DSD feed is running at 22.5Mhz. The clock in my DAC is at 100Mhz. One can easily imagine that noise at or near these frequencies might have a direct effect on timing and accuracy of these signals.

8 minutes ago, Speedskater said:

Yes! To a high frequency interference signal there are sneak paths for it to enter the circuit. Once inside it can change the bias on an analog stage. Best example might be a cell-phone operating in the GHz range, sending info packets 217 times a second.

Not fair -- you are modulating a GHz signal with 217Hz tone :)