IGNORED

ISO REGEN launch thread! (product web page up; photos, etc.)

Could this device afford any benafit if installed between a microRendu and a Mutec MC3+USB?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Middy said:

It's just bloody great to have options and the fruits of John Electrickory brain are so close. As a pleasant distraction here is a picture of my new baby but I have to wait 4 1/2 more months before I can judge the sound quality and volume with burn in every 2 hours..... Don't tell her she will go mad posting this and Alex...but RIP audio hobby.. I am 44 and scared as hell..

The Iso is my last treat...

20170514_152907.thumb.jpg.400cf5b00dc0e2c1fc25241a64311d92.jpg

Worry not, you just need to be a little creative for a while.  As one example, recycled nappies can be repurposed to make highly effective room treatments.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

6 hours ago, pl_svn said:

yes, same designer but two different companies: why should they merge their products?

(unless that's what *they* want to do)

Sergio Pininfarina has been designing cars for Alfa Romeo, Lancia, Ferrari, Fiat, Maserati and others: no one ever asked to merge those :P

Alfa Romeo, Lancia, Ferrari, Fiat and Maserati are all part of the Fiat Chrysler group......    

You are absolutely right though, once the many 'and others' are included.

6 minutes ago, pl_svn said:

they are *now*. they were not in the '60s when Pininfarina signed his best cars ;)

Very true.  Consolidation like this is fairly common though, this might turn out to be prophetic!

6 hours ago, Superdad said:

Please never put ANY device between the REGENs and your DAC (besides a connecting adapter or cable of course).  You want to preserve the signal integrity and impedance match that you paid for with the REGEN. B|

To keep this in proper context, would this apply to those who use a Mutec MC3+USB?  In my case I use a Mutec specifically because my DAC (Devialet) sounds best fed via AES/EBU.  Would use of the Mutec eliminate the goodness of the ISO Regen?

13 hours ago, Superdad said:

Sorry, I should have said "don't put anything between a REGEN and the DAC or DDC" (DDC being digital converter like USB>S/PDIF interface such as your Mutec).  Whatever is the target USB device that you are improving the signal integrity for.

Yes, makes sense.  Thinking about this, I already know that the Mutec MC3+USB is reasonably transparent to 'upstream' changes, such as power supply tweaks, different end points, music server software and so on.  So in this context, you could consider that DCC is pretty much equivalent to DAC, even with the Mutec's reclocking magic.

Although one thing I am not sure about is if there is any benefit from the ISO REGEN's galvanic isolation with a device like the Mutec which itself has a USB input with galvanic isolation?

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

Well there are some Mutec owners who won't fully agree with you on some of those points.  Quite a few people have pulled the switching PS from inside their MC3+USB units and run them from an external LPS (lately our UltraCap LPS-1), and they say it makes quite a nice difference.

Actually, what I was saying is that if you improve the quality of whatever you feed the Mutec, you get better sound quality out.  Reading the rest of your response it looks like you have the same view.  Note to self, stop using such subtle English on forums!  Thanks for the rest of your response, by the way.  very Interesting and informative.