IGNORED

DIY DC power cables

59 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

Cornay,

Are you saying that the JSGT on our SMPS’s could be improved using a silver ground wire? Have you tried? And why would that be? 

Got my JSSG Ethernet cable on order with right hand plugs (and starquad DC cable for rendu to LPS-1 with right hand plugs as well - if nothing else going to look trick) but sticking to my Uptone USCPB. 

Best,

CP

Hi CP!

Yes, I use silver wires on my DC- output groundings. Even thin gauge silver sounds better than thick gauge copper. This is something well known by Entreq. They use it for their ground boxes and they use silver negative wires and gold positive wires on their best ICs. 

I use USPCB as well between ISO Regen and the Luckit BluWave USB to Spdif board, but I am using the starquad USB JSSG between Aries Mini and IR.

Micael

🎛️  Audio System  

1 hour ago, BigGuy said:

FWIW, I am using the Pangea 1/2m Ag USB cable whose construction looks to be similar to what is described with the custom cable other than it not being starquad...

image.thumb.png.7ef8d4662824344b309aa8637494acac.png

• Designed specifically to deliver high-speed digital audio signals
  • 24-AWG design optimized for fast, low-jitter signal delivery
  • Pure, solid silver signal conductors
  • Precision-twisted conductors for superior noise rejection
  • Triple-shielded for optimized noise isolation
  • USB High Speed 2.0 rating supports up to 480 Mbit/s data transfer rate
  • 24K Gold-plated contacts for superior electrical contact
  • Special two-shot molded connector bodies protect vital digital connections for stable signal transfer and long life

Yes it looks similar in a way, but it is not a starquad. A starquad is 8 wires twisted in the same direction. The Pangea is a twisted pair cable.

🎛️  Audio System  

1 hour ago, mozes said:

Your ultimate usb cable may be referred to as Cornan usb cable later on :) 

I would be interested to try it for sure!

The choice of the wire is critical as not all silver wires are created equal. I highly recommend stranded UPOCC silver from Neotech. For 1m, it won’t break the bank.

Let's see! ?

Thanks for the tip on the Neotech Moussa! ? I will if Aleksandar can order them for the cable as soon as he is back.

🎛️  Audio System  

31 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

What do you think the minimum gauge is that would work with the JSGT? Looking at silver wire prices they get up there, and I’d need a number of feet. 

24awg is sufficient IMO. No need to use pure silver for DC- output grounding though. Silver plated wires with teflon sleevings will work beautifully. Here is a tip of a 1mm one for a fair price https://www.google.se/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/10m-Vanguard-1mm-square-high-purity-silver-plated-OCC-wire-Hi-Fi-Audio-cable-/182374776295&ved=0ahUKEwj7072F3MPXAhWiO5oKHbS0DZkQjjgIJTAA&usg=AOvVaw2nNBmAdCjTJaHX4D9Rex_X

🎛️  Audio System  

14 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

So far this is about the best price I've found on bulk silver wires. Scroll to almost the bottom of the page for bulk pricing with or without a teflon sleeve. 

http://www.tempoelectric.com/cables.htm

Look for Vanguard solid core silver wire https://www.google.se/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vanguard-solid-core-silver-wire-teflon-tubing-DIY-Hi-Fi-Audio-cable-0-6-1mm-/182466517035%3Fvar%3D%26hash%3Ditem2a7bda182b:m:m6u5O_NgJi_dkZnaETp4J8w&ved=0ahUKEwiJzcbD4MPXAhXmFZoKHQS_DJgQjjgIJTAA&usg=AOvVaw33M4cdMqVh884_6xgwXrVo

Pure silver and includes teflon tubing. There several listings with different thickness.

🎛️  Audio System  

5 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Isn’t the impedance of an USB cable important ?

Are you able to insure that ?

I have never cared for impedance match with USB cables. Infact all of my not so good USB cables do have optimal impedance. I do think that the capacitive coupling should be minimized. This goes against impedance match since you add capacitive coupling to control the impedance AFAIK. As with most things in audio I use my ears to decide if it is good or not. To answer your question. No I am not able to ensure impedance match with the starquad USB cable, but it still sounds great. ?

🎛️  Audio System  

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, fayerichard said:

Hi,

I need a definite answer to my question, because I am about to buy/ let build.

I basically have all audioquest cables in my system and want to use this for a dc cable. Unfortunately, aq has no dc available.

So I found someone who can help me.

Now my question:

Is it possible to use Audioquest NRG1.5 power cable, remove the plugs, and put some Oyaide DC plugs on it?

Here are the details: 

http://www.audioquest.com/power-cables/nrg-1-5

2 x 16 awg

SOLID PERFECT-SURFACE COPPER+ (PSC+) CONDUCTORS: NRG-1.5 uses extremely high-purity Perfect-Surface Copper+ conductors. All conductors are solid, which prevents strand interaction, a major source of distortion. Surface quality is critical because a conductor can be considered a rail-guide for both the electric fields within a conductor, and for the magnetic fields outside the conductor. The astonishingly smooth and pure PSC+ eliminates harshness and greatly increases clarity compared to OFHC, OCC, 8N and other coppers. The superior purity of PSC+ further minimizes distortion caused by grain boundaries, which exist within any metal conductor.

STAR-QUAD GEOMETRY: The relationship between conductors defines a cable’s most basic electrical values (capacitance and inductance). However, even when those variables are kept in a reasonable balance, the relationship between conductors can be varied in ways that greatly affect the sound. The Star-Quad construction of NRG-1 allows for significantly better dynamic contrast and information intelligibility than if the same conductors were run in parallel.

It is possible if you have the old bigger Oyiade DC plugs.

You will have a really hard time fitting 16awg to the new Oyiade DC plugs. Atleast you´ll need a LOT of patience and soldering skills to pull that off IMO.

🎛️  Audio System  

29 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

Why don’t you just order one from Ghent Audio? Or Sonore if you really want to spend more? The Ghent you can order it with 45 degree connectors which I did for my microRendu and LPS-1. It’s Canare Starquad and sounds good. I think unless you are an ace solderer, you could make a real mess of an expensive cable and plugs, and even then might not work size wise.

+1 Those new Oyiade DC plugs are much smaller than you might think (unless the good old Oyiade plugs is used that for example Uptone Audio uses for their DC cables. AFAIK they are not possible to buy anymore) @fayerichard. I have messed it up soldering Furutech Alpha-18 (18awg) before ordering Ghent DC cables. I am not a soldering pro though. It is very easy that the positive and negative poles come into contact using greater gauge than 18awg using new Oyiade IME.

🎛️  Audio System  

2 hours ago, fayerichard said:

Oyaide dc 2.5 plug

Plug type PL 03 B (φ 5.5 mm × φ 2.5 mm)
Rating 12V / 1A
Applicable cable maximum outer diameter 6.3 mm

NRG1.5 is 2 x 16awg

I know that the sleeve will not fit, we can work around thar, but what about the internal wiring?

If you do not care about the metal housing around the new Oyiade DC plugs and are prepared to shrink wrap it all I would say that it is possible using 16awg. As long as you want to use the metal housing you can expect a serious nail biter! ;) 

🎛️  Audio System  

25 minutes ago, BigGuy said:

A trick recommended to me for DIYing USB cables, but applicable here, is to separate conductors, etc., with Teflon plumbers tape to avoid unwanted contact points.

Yeah, that´s what for example Elijah Audio is using on his USB cables to avoid contact. The problem with the new Oyiade is the limited space. When you squeeze thick cables inside the narrow space you are doomed to put pressure on the internal parts if you put the metal housing back. Without tape you will guaranteedly experience a pffft! :D 

🎛️  Audio System  

34 minutes ago, fayerichard said:

The nrg1.5 has the following 16awg thickness: 2 x 1,31mm².

would it fit?

how about the sleeve, which is definitely much wider and thicker. Can I just leave the ends "open" and apply shrinkwrap to both ends in order to circumvent the sleeve at the last 3cm of plug ends?

so I can use the Oyaide dc?

Without the metal housing on new Oyiade DC plugs it will fit. With the metal housing may good be with you! ?

If you take the advice from @BigGuy and wrap the ends in Teflon tape (very thin) you've got a slightly better chance to succeed. Since you are in the border of what is possible or not, all I can say is go for it and good speed if you try. I know Uptone Audio sells their huge gauge DC cables separately. If you really want to know how a thick DC cable sounds like I would warmly recommend that you buy it from Alex C instead of going into mission impossible.

🎛️  Audio System  

30 minutes ago, BigGuy said:

Speaking about cables...

Hope I am not going too far off-thread but thought someone might be able to help.

Anyone ever come across a rigid USB A-Male to B-male adapter to replace actual cable?

I guess you haven't got a USB Regen or ISO Regen, but isn't this rigid enough? https://www.amazon.com/HDE®-USB-Type-Male-Adapter/dp/B002B9AR8I

🎛️  Audio System  

16 minutes ago, BigGuy said:

Thanks.   Guess I just searched on the wrong description.  :-(

Been  thinking about the ISO.  Is it significantly better SQ than the original?  I guess at some point I need to deal with jitter, etc.

I would actually say that the original Regen is really good. I was a bit dissapointed on ISO Regen until I added the Luckit BluWave USB to Spdif post it. Now I would'nt trade the IR+USPCB+BluWave for anything. A massive improvement! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

6 minutes ago, BigGuy said:

Not breaking the bank to try one but I was questioning the SQ of circuit board+switch vs a few wires.

Speaking of switches for the 5V, I had been using the SBooster VBus and later VBus2 between USB cable and my Manhattan I DAC.  I recently upgraded the DAC to the Manhattan II, which incidentally was a surprising jump in SQ, the VBusses did not work.  Apparently the new configuration needs to see the 5V even tho' it is self powered.  Does anyone now or perhaps posit an explanation as to why some USB implementations need to "see" 5V and others not?  I DO like the concept of eliminating the 5V as a source of pollution.

I have the Brooklyn DAC and the change from my previous Pioneer U-05 was troublesome. U-05 didn't require 5v for handshake but Brooklyn did. In summary the jump from U-05 to Brooklyn wasn't as far as the cost. I was a bit dissapointed. I had to find another solution. IR I thought. Nope. I had to get a Teradak USB power splitter to get it to sound as good as the U-05. It was not until I got the BluWave USB to Spdif with a powerbank powering the GI output of the BluWave that I really thought that the Brooklyn DAC was worth the money. Now it is worth more than double price of U-05 for sure...but it took me roughly a year to end there. 

🎛️  Audio System  

10 minutes ago, BigGuy said:

Having recently constructed a DC cable using "new(er)" Oyaide barrel plug, I can attest to the fact that DIYing with large gauge wire would be a challenge.

This brings up a question from an "inquiring mind"...

I know that 12V auto jumper cables are typical quite large gauge but here we are talking about large current draw, not voltage.  If we are supplying 12V, etc., to devices that are drawing on the order of 1A or so, how low a gauge is electrically justifiable?

IMO it is due to distance. Keep it short and do not mind the gauge. If you need >50 cm think about greater gauge. DC does'nt require greater gauge than Canare above 50cm. JSSG will improve SQ even if it is a starquad configuration IME.

🎛️  Audio System  

1 minute ago, BigGuy said:

I too would recommend replacement of the OEM SMPS for the Brooklyn with an external power supply.  A friend's Brooklyn with Sbooster power supply was amazingly good...pretty close to Manhattan I, IMHO, which I owned.

Although I have heard/read good things about the BluWave, not sure I want to go there given I spent considerable money on the Adnaco Glass/USB setup.

I personally think that the Brooklyn DACs internal (grounded) SMPS is pretty good connected to a balanced IT with floating center-tap. Despite this I'm looking for a great PSU for the Brooklyn DAC. I am not in a hurry, but right now I am leaning against a Paul Hynes SR4. If my decision in firm in February (when I move to another apartment) I will place my order...if not the SOtM sPS-500.

I can only whole hearted recommend the BluWave...but money rules as always! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

13 minutes ago, BigGuy said:

Guess I need to rethink the length of the DC cable that I grafted onto a "brick" laptop LPS to supply 5V to the Adnaco.   I am guessing it is over 6 feet long, a decision made thinking to improve its long term use and geographic location relative to the target device.

Think like this. The less power the less lenght. The more power the more lenght. 5v equals roughly max 5-50cm. 120v equals roughly max 100-120 cm. 240v equals roughly max 200-240cm. Mind you that this is just rough lenghts based on own experiences...but makes it easy to remember.

🎛️  Audio System  

11 hours ago, sandyk said:

That isn't always strictly true. That's why power transmission lines use very high voltages, and transformers later on to step down the voltages again.

My own take on DC leads,  is that provided the Output Impedance of the voltage Regulator etc. is VERY low, that a 2 foot length from say a piece of 2 core 7.5A mains cable scrounged from a redundant lead will be close to as good as it gets, without any fancy tinkering that you guys (and John S.) talk about.;)

Other than the reliability factor, neither should it matter about using fancy and expensive DC plugs, especially if those used are of the lockable type. Some Microphone plugs and sockets make fine DC connectors. 

e.g.

http://www.altronics.com.au/p/p0953-2-pin-male-chassis-mount-microphone-connector/

No, ofcourse it isn't strictly true. It is only a simple and rough guide line. I always keep any type of cable as short as possible, but if I'm forced to use standard lenghts a rough guide line can be helpful.

When it comes to DC plugs I agree that it doesn't matter that much in terms of SQ. Even screw terminal DC plugs sounds good to me. However, in terms of reabillity there is very few that matches the Oyiade DC plugs firm fit.

🎛️  Audio System  

16 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

Speaking of soldering dc cable connectors, I was wondering if anyone has just soldered a ground wire shunt directly to the negative post of a dc plug, and if that has any bearing on sound quality by then bypassing the screw adapters? 

I’ve got a soldering kit and holder coming as a stocking stuffer so curious to try my hand at soldering. Will practice on low level/throwaway items first of course, but got me to thinking - why not just solder that thin gauge ground wire directly?

I haven't tried to solder the JSGT, but I know that external ground improves with better connection (better surface contact and as close to the source as possible). A good executed soldered connection should be a very good option if done right. 

🎛️  Audio System  

8 minutes ago, sandyk said:

It may be easier, as well as readily reversible if Service is needed, to solder the wire to a solder lug, clean the anodising etc. away from the area where you intend to connect it and use a nut and bolt to secure it. e.g.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Solder-Lugs-Pk-50-HP1350/253255370305?epid=903989410&hash=item3af7324641:g:-tUAAOSwzppaEId5

In the case of an item with a spare (unused) RCA socket,(STB etc.)  you can solder the earth  wire to the "earth" side of an RCA plug, and plug it in. 

That would work. However, keep in mind that using RCA as a ground point can be very inconsistent IME. Make sure to try several RCA sockets if possible, ie. left analogue, right analogue and Spdif digital. 

🎛️  Audio System  

11 hours ago, sandyk said:

Provided that a good fitting RCA plug is used there should be no inconsistency.

If you doubt this, use your DMM to read the resistance between the earth sides of several sockets, where you are unlikely to find more than a fraction of 1 ohm difference.

The inconsistence of RCA plugs is purely based on my own experience using my own ears to guide me. I do not know why it is inconsistent. I only know that I have tried it a lot on different devices. It could be due to distance, ie. that the RCA closest to common ground sounds best. It could also be that digital devices should be grounded to Spdif digital and analogue devices to analogue RCA. I don't actually know, but recommend that one try different RCA sockets, since it an easy thing to do. Just a unplug, plug-in and listen! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

1 hour ago, BigGuy said:

Probably already discussed ad nauseam but does a JSSG make sense on these DC cables?

It shouldn't, but to me it does! Ghent DC Canare 4S6 cables with JSSG sounds better than DIY Canare 4S6. ATL starquad DC cables with JSSG sounds the same as Ghent JSSG.

🎛️  Audio System  

6 hours ago, lmitche said:

Same thing here, JSSG on dc power cables yields a nice improvement and is cumulative as more cables are treated.

I expect to try treat and listen to an AC cable treated with JSSG tomorrow.

If you have'nt tried JSSG on USB cables yet I can recommend it! ?Ethernet is great with JSSG too, but I guess you've done it already? So far my ac power cables are mostly starquad which is cumulative throughout in my setup. I have'nt tried JSSG on them yet so I would appreciate if you could post back your impressions when you've tried.

🎛️  Audio System