IGNORED

Why tune your system with exotic cables rather than DSP room correction and equalization?

Let's assume cables can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt to sound different. Even in the unlikely event that we all would agree on that, what is the justification for using expensive cables, rather than digital signal processing (room correction, parametric equalization, etc.), whose properties can be readily controlled and whose results are easily measurable, to alter what the music sounds like?

11 hours ago, Teresa said:

"Why tune your system with exotic cables rather than DSP room correction and equalization?"

How are the two related? Aren't expensive cables suppose to be more accurate, using advanced technologies so the output is closer to the input with less audible losses? If so, they cannot be used as equalization such as DSP. I would expect the best made cables to be nearly transparent while cheap cables are less accurate thus more likely to color the sound. IMHO to correct for room frequency problems you either need DSP or acoustic treatments not different cables.

Hi Teresa:

Just to simplify, let's assume these are all lossless digital cables, or in the case of analogue, all are sufficiently well-made that they don't remove any information.

BTW, I think we both have the same DAC!

Best wishes.  I hope you are doing ok.

Bill

18 hours ago, Fitzcaraldo215 said:

But, you seem to equate tuning via cables with DSP Room EQ as though they were somehow equivalent. 

No.  My point was that many of those who claim to use cables to obtain a particular sort of sound (rather than simply as a status symbol) are also against using something like DSP that could alter the sound in a well-defined, predictable, and measurable way, and that could be tailored to an individual's need.  (In other words, it should be a simple matter, with DSP, to obtain the same sound qualities one seeks with cables, tubes, vinyl, or whatever.)  

Personally, I am far more interested in erasing any coloration imposed my room, my speakers, cables, amp or whatever, using DSP.