IGNORED

Just got a Yggdrasil!

25 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

I've probably got my responders mixed-up. When you say "he did" are you referring to Speed Racer or Mani? One of them said he hadn't actually listened to the Yaggy. I forget. Which... Anyway, to whichever one I'm not talking about, my apologies!

No, it was GUTB that was making negative statements about Yggy without having listened to one.

18 minutes ago, 4est said:

And it was his issues with sonics that lead him to finding those measurements and his subsequent forum thread- not the other way around. I am also a bit perplexed by some thinking Mani has an axe to grind or wouldn't know better.

It's the manner he went about it....and continues to go about it. I am not perplexed at all.

6 minutes ago, LarryMagoo said:

They run out of Yggys all the time....what makes you think there's a pending upgrade?

I don't think that Jason or Mike would have let something new out of the bag without being ready to deliver.  If you read their book, Schiit Happens, they say they will never do that again...??

You mean like the Vidar or the Eitr?

First of all, he is the only one hearing this "problem". Second, he has never been able to prove that what he hears and dislikes is the glitch. Finally, the designer of the DAC says you can't hear the glitch.

It's crap because there was long thread that proved nothing to anyone....and then he starts in again here...and again with no proof and with no one else able to hear it.

I suppose you think he can hear a gnat fart from 50 meters.....

8 hours ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

I've heard some speculate that Moffat used a design that he was pretty sure no one else would try to replicate and undercut sales.

I understand he chose the AD5791BRUZ because of the resolution and the INL and DNL specs. I seriously doubt he would pick a DAC chip just because no one else would choose to use it. That might be a serendipitous side effect, but hardly a driver for the decision.

56 minutes ago, earnmyturns said:

Following the exhortation to listen rather than argue endlessly about technical details, I just purchased a digital album (96/24 PCM) of lute music from 16th century Naples that to my ears is a great exerciser of my system's handling of transients, details, and soundstage, besides being delightful (yes, there's Yggy in the mix). You can hear the soloist handle the instrument, pluck the strings, and follow the decaying notes through the recording space. 

w0XERoR.png

Soloist: Paul Kieffer

Recorded 11-13 July 2016 in the church of St. Leodegar in Grenzach-Wyhlen, Baden-Württemberg, Germany. Recording engineer: Oren Kirschenbaum

I just listened to this on Tidal at 16/44.1. It certainly was different...but not my cup of tea. Too much Lute for one sitting! It seemed to get repetitive after the first five tracks.

7 minutes ago, semente said:

Or perhaps because it was the only resistor ladder DAC available (thus, apparently, one that was not designed for audio purposes).

R

Over on Head-Fi Jason says they had other options in mind because they weren't sure they could get the AD5791 to work the way they wanted. But they did and the rest is history. He did not elaborate on what those options were.

16 minutes ago, Jud said:

Yeah, all us folks who don't hate Mani, we're in on the conspiracy with regular meetings and stuff like that.  'Cause how reasonable could anyone be not to hate the guy who dissed the DAC you own?

Hate? I don't care enough to hate anyone here....and I don't care if he likes or dislikes the DAC I own. So your position on that is way off base. All I have ever experienced of this guy is his unusual disdain for a certain DAC. I experienced this here well before I ever thought I would ever spend over $500 on a DAC and had no horse in the race.

2 hours ago, GUTB said:

But, if you take it in context with all the bad measurements, design flaws and falsehoods he's seen out of Schiit, you can appreciate where he was coming from, emotionally.

22 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

You're the one saying inept and dishonest. 

Seriously? You are going with that? Look at GUTB's post I quite above. I am pretty sure he is saying that Mike at Schiit has design flaws in Yggdrasil and that Schiit has lied to JA.

Maybe you think that is cool. I don't...but it is your site so you get to decide what your sponsors to endure. 

24 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Not at all what I'm saying. I'm not the Minister of Information or the arbiter of truth. Free and open discussion in the forum benefits everyone. Adults can read the posts and decide for themselves what to believe. 

Can you point to something that is patently false?

Sure. That Schiit communicated falsehoods.....

Mani doesn't even know if "the glitch" is what causes  his "ears to bleed". Yet no one else says Yggy causes their ears to bleed. My ears are enriched when listening to the Yggdrasil.

GUTB makes claims the Yggdrasil has design flaws AND that Schiit responds with falsehoods. No problem. It's just an opinion......

They aren't going to provide facts and you are going to let them keep spitting this crap.

Like I said, I am done with this crap.....

49 minutes ago, esldude said:

I can both admire the design acumen of the guys at Schiit, and feel quite comfortable they don't make the best DACs.  Glitches, no glitches, glitches that are inaudible, makes no difference.  When the competition has no glitches, and offers clearly measurably better performance your product doesn't cut the mustard. Anything else is nostalgia and hyperbole marketing to a niche that values faith over results. :P

Wow, this has turned into a complete schiit on Schiit thread.

I haven't listened to a lot of DACs, but I like my Schiit Yggdrasil more than one friend's Auralic Vega or another friend's Chord Hugo.