IGNORED

Site Issues, Updates, Changes, and Feedback Thread

23 minutes ago, rando said:

On a desktop computer, a few times I have accidentally hit the quote button when trying to insert a hyperlink into text.  The quote box then becomes impossible to remove.  A few days later if I click on the same thread it will ask if I want to remove previous text, the empty quote box.  

Is there any way for users to clear this at will?

Simply backspacing over the quote box works for me. Place the cursor after the box hit backspace twice.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I've never had an issue ignoring stuff either, but the big issue comes when using the Activity Stream. Some threads take control of this stream because they are so active. This would be the only way to ignore such activity.

It could be nice to ignore entire subforums too, not just individual threads. For example, I'm not interested in the buy & sell section, so anything posted there is just useless clutter to me.

15 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I would love the custom activity stream to be more granular and enable users to specific specific forums to exclude. So far this isn't possible natively or via plugin. 

Custom streams allow, at least in some cases, to pick which forums to include. Selecting all except a few is a bit clunky.

Speaking of custom streams, it would be neat if one could add quick links to more than one in some convenient location. Selecting a custom stream in the mobile interface takes 4 taps through the menus, which gets tedious quickly.

12 hours ago, gmgraves said:

Also I have mentioned this before and never received an answer. The old system used to remember your text as you wrote it. If one accidentally got knocked off the page by a computer glitch or one's own stupidity, when you went back to the forum you were posting to, and went to start over answering the post you were responding to when you were interrupted, the system asked you if you wanted to retrieve the text you previously wrote. Nowadays, if that happens you have to start all over again and if you had written a lot, it's heartbreaking to realize that all of it was lost. Any way to get THAT feature back?

There is something like that in the new forum. I'm not sure what triggers it, but sometimes I get a reply box populated with text I've previously discarded.

6 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

If that is so, I have yet to see it. These are the kind of things that Chris should be able to answer. After all, he implemented this new system. Thanks for your reply, though.

Does that include if you actually leave the page or one's browser app gets closed accidentally? The old system saved text even if you restarted the computer before continuing to type.....

But thanks for your answer. I have yet to see this feature work, but I'll be on the lookout for it, 

Let's try and find out. I started typing this in Chrome on Android, then closed the tab and restarted the browser. Navigating back to this page and clicking in the reply box brought the text back. Seems to be working.

35 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

No, I don't see it. I'm using Safari on El Capitan and I wrote some text in answer to this response to you. Without submitting it, I left this page. When I came back, of course, my reply to you was gone, just as it would be if I had accidentally left the page or closed the browser while typing a reply. I hit "Quote" and your quote, above, appeared, underneath which was a cursor for me to begin typing a reply. I typed something expecting what I had written previously to magically re-appear as you indicated it would..... Nothing! I must be doing something incorrectly.

Thanks for your help at any rate.

You have to click in the text box at the bottom of the page before anything else. If you click quote on some post first, the saved text is lost.

1 minute ago, BigAlMc said:

Not sure if this has been reported already but I selected Ignore Thread - on Jud's "Why do people come to Computer Audiophile to display contempt for audiophiles" thread as I'd contributed but felt the thread was going nowhere constructive. 

Anyway over 12 hours later and I'm still getting email updates for this thread. Is this a known issue? Or is there an additional step to unsubscribe from emails for a given thread?

You also need to "unfollow" the thread. Ignoring doesn't do this automatically, apparently.

3 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

Not to be difficult but I'm confused. So what is the intended use of Ignore This Topic then?

That hides even non-followed threads from activity streams and, I believe, search results. It lets you create your own private version of history where the thread never existed. If only reality had a similar feature.

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Guys - Just implemented a new feature today. It makes quotes longer than 5 lines smaller, and enables readers to click "Read More" to expand the quote. This makes the reading flow easier and makes the longer quotes less prominent.

Nice. I have but one small complaint. If a quote is exactly 6 lines, the last line is replaced by the "read more" button without actually saving any space. In this case, it would be better to simply leave it as is.

Line 1.

Line 2.

Line 3.

Line 4.

Line 5.

Line 6.

4 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'm not sure how to get around the fact there needs to be a cut off. 

In principle, what you'd do is truncate anything longer than six lines to five lines of content plus the "read more" button. That may of course not be easy to do with this particular piece of code.

14 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Sorry Chris, I don't have any experience in this field. From what I can see in the XML file, there is this:

<key>minimizeQuote_size</key>
<default>5</default>

But I don't see any code actual javascript code that uses this. Is the code obfuscated or encrypted? 

I see this:
<js filename="plugins.minimizequote.js">
OyggZnVuY3Rpb24oJCwgXywgdW5kZWZpbmVkKXsKCSJ1c2Ugc3RyaWN0IjsKCglpcHMuY29udHJvbGxlci5yZWdpc3RlcigncGx1Z2lucy5taW5pbWl6ZXF1b3RlJywgewoJCWl
 ........truncated............
</js>
</jsFiles>

If this is the code (encrypted), can you send me the unencrypted version, so we can see what the logic is?

It's base64 encoded:

;( function($, _, undefined){
        "use strict";

ips.controller.register('plugins.minimizequote', {
                initialize: function()
                {
                        var that = this;

/* Then listen for contentChange */
                        $( document ).on('contentChange', function (e, newContent)                         {
                                // Initialize widgets; if we're passed a jQuery collection, loop through each
                                if( newContent instanceof jQuery )
                                {
                                        newContent.each( function ()
                                        {
                                                if( _.isUndefined( $( this ).attr( 'data-ipseditor') ) )
                                                {
                                                        that.minimizeQuotes();
                                                }
                                        });
                                }
                                else
                                {
                                        that.minimizeQuotes();
                                }

// Rerun prettyprint
                                if (typeof PR != 'undefined') {
                                        PR.prettyPrint();
                                }
                        });

this.minimizeQuotes();
                },
                minimizeQuotes: function()
                {
                        var size = parseInt( ips.getSetting( 'minimizeQuote_size') );

/* Do initial content */
                        $( 'blockquote[data-ipsquote]' ).each( function()
                        {
                                var hasIpsQuoteContentsClass = $( this ).children( '.ipsQuote_contents' ).length;

if( ! _.isUndefined( $( quoteContentsDiv ).attr( 'data-ipseditor') ) || $( this ).closest( '.ipsComposeArea' ).length > 0 || ! _.isUndefined( $( quoteContentsDiv ).attr( 'contenteditable' ) ) )
                                {
                                        console.log( 'In editor' );
                                        return;
                                }

/* Old quote style */
                                if ( ! hasIpsQuoteContentsClass )
                                {
                                        var citation = $( this ).children( '.ipsQuote_citation' );

$( this ).children().wrapAll( "<div class='ipsQuote_contents' />" );

/* Move citation out of the "contents" div */
                                        if ( citation.length > 0 )
                                        {
                                                citation.detach();
                                                $( this ).prepend( citation );
                                        }
                                }

var quoteContentsDiv = $( this ).children( '.ipsQuote_contents' );

$( quoteContentsDiv ).attr( 'data-minimizedQuoteWasHere', 1 );
                                ips.ui.truncate.respond( $( quoteContentsDiv ), { type: 'hide', size: size + ' lines' } );

});
                }
        });
}( jQuery, _ ));

49 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'm trying to track down the login issue. I have it as well, but can't reproduce it with consistency.

Question for people experiencing the login issue.

Q: Are you using more than one device (mobile, desktop, tablet, etc...)?

I'm using three different devices and have no issues.

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

The stupid thing is, if we could copy-paste the quoted text, all would be solved. But at attempting such a thing, all runs stuck.

On 6/25/2017 at 3:29 PM, AJ Soundfield said:

That is crazy talk!

Seems to work for me.

On 7/17/2017 at 3:44 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Patch coming for the login issue, but probably not for a couple weeks. 

The issue has resolved itself for so.e people, including me, but it take no solace in that. I'll get it fixed asap. 

I hadn't suffered from this issue until today. Now it's suddenly demanding a re-login quite frequently.

4 minutes ago, firedog said:

Welcome to the club:D...every login. It is a very first world problem, but I will be glad when the fix is in.

It's fine as long as I'm only using the desktop browser (Firefox) and my phone (Android Chrome). If I switch to the tablet (Android Chrome), it requires login and then again when I go back to the desktop or phone.

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, mansr said:

Please get rid of one of the like/upvote options. It's confusing to have both. Also please get rid of the horrendous animation effect when pointing at those buttons.

And now it's suddenly sprouted a "thanks" button too.  Seriously, one liking option is plenty.

5 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

When you hover over each one it presents a tool tip saying, Like (heart), Thanks (trophy), and Upvote (arrow). 

These are pretty self explanatory, but maybe not.

I say not. It's basically three different ways of saying you agree with someone.

5 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I actually like the granularity this provides. We'll see how it goes. Nothing is in stone. 

P.S. We can create custom reactions as well. I can only imagine what some people would like to say to others in the middle of certain threads :~)

On some other site, I've seen voting buttons for "funny" and "insightful." That's a clear distinction that might even be useful. What we have here now is mostly confusing.

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Don't know if this question was answered before:

After preparing to reply in a topic using the multi-quote button--hitting the + for a few posts--when I go to type in the edit box there is no way to put any of my own text ABOVE the first quote.  

This is bothersome as sometimes I wish to make a short statement prior to the quotes.  I'm sure there must be an easy way around this.  Please tell me.

You can move the quote by dragging the cross-hairs that show up when pointing at the top left. Alternatively, cut-and-paste can achieve the same. If you know beforehand that you want some text at the top, type that first, then click quote.