IGNORED

Site Issues, Updates, Changes, and Feedback Thread

If I open a forum like the Uptone Audio forum, I want to see the most recently updated threads at the top, but they are not.  You have to scroll down to find threads whose latest post is from the current day.  Shouldn't they be at the top?  Am I just missing something?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

On 3/20/2017 at 9:40 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

HI Rick - Even with this (see screenshot) option selected, are the posts still not in the order you want?

Screen Shot 2017-03-20 at 8.39.27 AM.png

Chris, thank you.  I did have sort by Recently Updated turned on.  I just got confused by the sticky posts.  You get the sticky posts in reverse chronological order, followed by the regular posts in reverse chronological order.  So it is working right.  I think I was just used to ignoring the sticky posts in the old format if there weren't any new ones.

A question.  Is the line length longer if you are a paying member, or do you just get white space where the ads appear for non-paying members?

I still find the stark white color of the site to be headache inducing.  I certainly appreciate all the enhancements, but please tone this down.  I bet Jony Ive would love it though.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

2 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

You can see for yourself. The line length is wider for those who purchase an All Access Pass.

Thanks.  In case you didn't see my edit, I'm also hoping you can further tone down the stark white color.  My monitor is already quite subdued in brightness and I'm finding it difficult to spend an extended time on the new site.  It looks very clean but the contrast is overpowering.

Chris, this is weird.  If I look at the threads in the Uptone Audio sponsored forum, the line length is much longer than anywhere else.  I even get a horizontal scroll bar at the bottom!  This may have just started happening recently.  I'm sure I looked at this forum yesterday and didn't notice this anomaly.  

I want to assure you that despite my tune-up suggestions for the site I very much appreciate your sleepless weekend getting all this new function rolled out.  Your dedication to making the CA community happy is admirable.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like a reputation score that reflects positive contributions to the forum.  If you feel someone has come up with a creative tuning idea or has helped you resolve a problem, you give that member a reputation point.  Right now, reputation is kind of mixed up with 'I agree with you' or 'that was a funny comment' or 'I think you're a jerk'.

I guess there's a place for both kinds of feedback.  It would just be very useful not to have them intermixed.

1 minute ago, crenca said:

I'd like a reputation score based on how good looking you are... ;)

Where is this score?  I looked under my profile and it says nothing about my reputation...

Chris just deleted the reputation score today.  It used to appear under your avatar.

Chris, a performance issue.  I'm just using the All Activity stream.  When I find an interesting post in the list, I click on the xx hours ago and go read it.  Then I use the browser (Chrome) back button to return to the list.

With the new software, at least that gets me back to the entry in the list rather than the most recent post.  That's a huge improvement over the old software.

However, the longer ago the post was made, the longer it takes to return to the list.  So if I go look at a post made 12 hours ago, it takes much longer to return to the list than if I go look at a post made 15 minutes ago.

It seems like the logic has no direct pointer back to the list entry that was of interest.  Rather it seems to churn through every entry in the list until it reaches that point.

It would be nice if the performance of the return trip triggered by the back button was more consistent.

If I use the All Activity stream, it says 'This stream auto updates'.  So why do I also get 'There is a new item to view.  Click here to load it'?  I don't get it.

• 2 weeks later...

Chris, I'm encountering some new weird behavior on the site today.  When I bring up an All Activity stream, I'm seeing posts at the top of the list saying they were made, say, 10 minutes ago.  But when you navigate to the actual post, you discover that the post was actually made, say, 8 hours ago.  Refreshing the list with F5 fixes the problem, at least temporarily.

I don't think I've ever seen this behavior before today, but it's happened several times today.

49 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Rick - Next time this happens, can you check the two time stamps and let me know if they are different? See screenshots below.

Also, what browser are you using? 

Yes, the timestamps are different, that's exactly what I'm saying.  I'm using Chrome 57 on Windows 10 Creator's Update ... but Chrome just updated this morning to version 58.

On 4/6/2017 at 6:04 PM, rickca said:

Chris, a performance issue.  I'm just using the All Activity stream.  When I find an interesting post in the list, I click on the xx hours ago and go read it.  Then I use the browser (Chrome) back button to return to the list.

With the new software, at least that gets me back to the entry in the list rather than the most recent post.  That's a huge improvement over the old software.

However, the longer ago the post was made, the longer it takes to return to the list.  So if I go look at a post made 12 hours ago, it takes much longer to return to the list than if I go look at a post made 15 minutes ago.

It seems like the logic has no direct pointer back to the list entry that was of interest.  Rather it seems to churn through every entry in the list until it reaches that point.

It would be nice if the performance of the return trip triggered by the back button was more consistent.

Chris, are you looking into this?  I don't know whether you do such things yourself or have a tech support person.

I also reported that the All Activity stream doesn't auto-update for me.  It puts up a message saying there are new posts and I have to click to see them.  

• 2 weeks later...

Chris, have a look at DIY DC power cables thread with John Swenson's latest post.  The line length is such that you have to scroll right to read the entire line.  Why this is happening only in that thread is a mystery.  Maybe John broke it!

• 5 weeks later...

Chris, when I do a member search, why is there always by default a Group specification of Annoying selected?  I always have to untick that box.  Where did this group called Annoying come from anyway?  

7 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

We are always here. :P

Yeah, I was thinking that maybe I was an unwitting member myself.

Chris, I'd like a way to see all activity except certain threads.  When a thread goes bad, it tends to have a very high activity level as the rhetoric cranks up.  Lately we've had more and more of these.

So I'd like to ignore a thread rather than ignore a user.  Sometimes the same user posts quite intelligent things in other threads.

26 minutes ago, austinpop said:

I defined this custom activity that shows recent activity aggregated by topic.

That's very useful.  Thanks a lot!

Sounds like exactly what I wanted.  Remember I asked for a way to ignore a thread instead of ignoring a user?

If I put a user's posts on ignore, I still see their posts listed in the activity stream but it says 'you have chosen to ignore content by xxx'.

Is there a way to eliminate these posts entirely from the activity stream?

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Guys - The Ignore Topic feature is now available.

Thank you so much, Chris!

3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Guys - The Ignore Topic feature is now available.

What a difference this makes!  Frequently, the most active threads are the ones that interest me least.  With this feature, using the activity stream is so much more productive.

Chris, the activity stream says it autoupdates.  However, to see the new items you need to click.  What I'd really like is auto refresh so you can see the new items without doing anything.  What do you think?

My programming brain is engaged for some reason.  

Right now, an ignored user post still shows up in the activity stream.  It just says 'You have chosen to ignore content by userX'.  Sometimes userX is a very prolific poster, so there's a lot of such entries.

So here's a potential solution.  We have the ability to exclude posts from a given thread from the activity stream.  Is there a way to exclude a custom defined activity stream from the general activity stream?  If so, just make a custom defined activity stream consisting of all posts from ignored users, then exclude that custom defined activity stream from the general activity stream.  Poof!  All gone.

This isn't about intolerance.  It's about productivity.

Timestamps seems to be all messed up right now.  I'm seeing old posts timestamped within the last hour, and I can't see posts from today that are more than 2 hours old.

Chris, new problem.  The 'Ignore this topic' option is missing on the threads imported from the new forum.

Another new problem.  Trying to read the latest post from @rikhav navigating from the activity stream and clicking on 'x minutes ago'  I get the following

Error code: 2F173/K