IGNORED

USB 3.0 is too fast

First I'm seeing 3.0; Ihaven't seen any mass-storage or DAC support. If/when will Apple implement?

Inquiring minds want to know....

Bernard Reagan[br]Dual-core 3.06GHz/4GB RAM 24-inch iMac-Benchmark DAC1 via AT&T Glass Toslink-Mackie 8MkII powered studio monitors-8TB Drobo array for multimedia storage

"If/when will Apple implement?"

Apple is betting on Light Peak.

http://techresearch.intel.com/articles/None/1813.htm

Wikipedia entry for Light Peak refers to "rumours" that Apple will release LightPeak equipped gear in Q4 2010.

http://techresearch.intel.com/articles/None/1813.htm

This is definitely something to get excited about - high speed AND optical.

I'll pass on USB 3.0, as my keyboard, mouse, and Amarra dongle work great as is, so does my Wavelength Proton for that matter.

Clay

Looks like DWDM (Dense-Wave Division Multiplexing from the telco networking sector) is coming to the desktop. This truly exciting because it will allow all peripherals to share a common connector. Can't wait. Meanwhile, anybody know how to get ESATA for my iMac?

Bernard Reagan[br]Dual-core 3.06GHz/4GB RAM 24-inch iMac-Benchmark DAC1 via AT&T Glass Toslink-Mackie 8MkII powered studio monitors-8TB Drobo array for multimedia storage

Gang,

USB 3 is basically two interfaces in one. There is the standard USB 2.0 spec on the regular connector pins and then PCIe on the expanded pins.

First we don't need it... USB 2.0 supports up to 24 (realistically I think 16 is max) channels at 24/192.

The thing that is really stupid in USB is their numbering policy... Not only do you have USB 1,1.1, 2, 3 but then you have Classes, like Audio Class 1, 2 and Hard Drive Class 1, 2....

The Class stuff will work on any USB link so async is here to stay!

This is basically for video and hard drives support.

Thanks

Gordon