IGNORED

DAC Advice plz

With my current set-up (in my signature) I haven't been able to fully enjoy using the Pure Music software because either I don't know how to properly use it or I need a new DAC / Speaker combo. Streaming through TIDAL sounds great but iTunes w/ Pure Music software is way too much bass and doesn't sound good. So, I'm considering getting a new DAC / Speaker combo but will that fix the problem? Is there anyone on here who would be willing to help me learn how to get the best sound from Pure Music primarily for rock style music? I'm sure you all have busy lives and schedules. I'd be willing to pay for services if it's not too much. Thanks.

ROON w/ TIDAL > iMac (21.5", Late 2013) 3.1 GHz Intel Quad Core i7 - 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3 > macOS Catalina 10.15.7 > 250 Apple Flash Storage / SSD > Apple Airport Extreme > Bluesound Node 2i > Audioquest Cinnamon Digital Coax > Peachtree Audio Nova 150 > Monster HTS 1600 > Blue Jeans Speaker Cables > Vintage Klipsch Kg2 Speakers

That sounds like something is DSP-ing the sound -- either Tidal correcting the bass (I don't think so?), or iTunes / Pure Music is doing bass boost. Or, iTunes is going through the Windows mixer which is adding a bass boost whereas Tidal might be doing bitstreaming which bypasses the Windows mixer.

That DAC and speaker combo is very low end, so of course you should upgrade -- but there shouldn't be a large difference between different players.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

I'm using an iMac with the iTunes EQ turned off - so there is no Windows mixer. Not sure how to navigate the Pure Music software to turn off bass boost if it's active.

ROON w/ TIDAL > iMac (21.5", Late 2013) 3.1 GHz Intel Quad Core i7 - 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3 > macOS Catalina 10.15.7 > 250 Apple Flash Storage / SSD > Apple Airport Extreme > Bluesound Node 2i > Audioquest Cinnamon Digital Coax > Peachtree Audio Nova 150 > Monster HTS 1600 > Blue Jeans Speaker Cables > Vintage Klipsch Kg2 Speakers

Okay, the first job is to isolate the problem. Have you compared a track on a CD to the *exact* same track running through the streaming path? Or compared to an mp3 version purchased from Amazon? And you can try a pure iTunes version too, all the info is useful. Let's find out where that excess bass originates. Watch out for different masterings of the performance, use only one. Listen to a track with lots of deep but high-quality bass which you know pretty well. For example, "Crazy Love" on Paul Simon's Graceland album might work.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

Okay, the first job is to isolate the problem. Have you compared a track on a CD to the *exact* same track running through the streaming path? Or compared to an mp3 version purchased from Amazon? And you can try a pure iTunes version too, all the info is useful. Let's find out where that excess bass originates. Watch out for different masterings of the performance, use only one. Listen to a track with lots of deep but high-quality bass which you know pretty well. For example, "Crazy Love" on Paul Simon's Graceland album might work.

I picked a track and listened to it both through TIDAL and from a cd in iTunes w/ Pure Music. They both sound heavy with bass but Pure Music has much stronger bass than TIDAL.

I wonder if this problem would work itself out if I sampled some ADAM Audio A3X's w/ a Sub7 along w/ a regular DAC rather than my AQ Dragonfly "headphone amp". However, I could use some advice on which DAC to use. No where in Lafayette, IN to listen for myself. Also, I wonder if it makes a difference in re: to the type/style of music being listened to? My preference is Christian Contemporary Worship that's in the pop/rock/punk catagory w/ ballads too.

Hi btlancaster24

I drafted an answer but CA deleted it because of faulty software, so this will be short. You have a software problem, so do not expect it to improve by changing hardware. Pure Music doesn't have EQ settings, but it is either triggering them in iTunes, Audio Midi, or you have corruption in your Pure Music file. File corruption isn't the most common reason for issues like this, but it is common: digital files, especially those in flash memory, degrade like everything else in life.

I suggest you search for all the possible ways that iTunes might impose EQ on Pure Music and find out if any exist on your system. Sometimes these nasty EQ functions show up as "loudness", "dynamic range", or "car mode" settings hidden inside other functions. If none does, reinstall Pure Music. If that doesn't work, contact Pure Music. There are several free test tone apps available for iTunes and Pure Music, these are useful tools. Apple is notorious for disrespecting its customers, especially in music software, so don't be surprised by what you find out. Good luck.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

thanks