IGNORED

Bluesound Node 2 - sound issues

Anyone else having problems with their Node 2, mine is sounding terrible, I bought it used the other day and I did the latest update as it asked me too and then got it running.

Oh dear, using analogue out the sound is distorted and unlistenable.

Here's what I sent Bluesound support........

Right, I'm now getting somewhere in finding the problem. It's all to do with the Tone Controls within the BluOS settings.

I'll list examples and how it sounds:

#1: Tone Controls (TC) OFF - variable volume set to 100 - gain set to 0 - Result DISTORTION

#2 TC on - variable Volume set to 100 - gain 0 - Result NO DISTORTION however sounds flat with no kick/dynamics/clarity

#3 TC OFF - Fixed Volume - DISTORTION unlistenable would damage speakers.

#4 TC ON - Fixed Volume - NO DISTORTION - but again flat sounding.

Now in each of the TC ON scenarios I need to push the volume on my amp approx double to get the same volume compared to using my Sparky streamer but if I try and set the Node 2 to match the Sparky gain/volume it sounds terrible and potentially speaker damaging.

Please note ALL of the above scenarios are with REPLAY GAIN DISABLED.

I still need to find someone that has a node 2 to compare with as I'm sure this one is faulty. I would sell it but can't if it's faulty.

I can't believe they sound as bad as this and can be beaten on sound quality by a little £70 streamer.

They just told me to take it to a dealer to listen to it, but nearest is an hour away and anyway it was a private sale.

So anyone else with same issues?

I don't have DAC to try as that might help, but surely RCA out should be ok too?

Thanks,

Mike.

what's the rest of the set-up? problem is not necessarily the node 2 . . .

Sorry should have said I've tried 2 different amps, using 4 different inputs and 3 different sets of interconnects.

Result is always the same, looking on the Bluesound forum I see others have similar issue.

Rest of setup is Tellurium Q Claymore amp, PMC 21 Speakers. Distortion/poor audio is same if using Spotify, Tunein Radio or my own files from nas (FLAC or mp3 or M4a)

Anyone else having problems with their Node 2, mine is sounding terrible, I bought it used the other day and I did the latest update as it asked me too and then got it running.

Oh dear, using analogue out the sound is distorted and unlistenable.

Here's what I sent Bluesound support........

Right, I'm now getting somewhere in finding the problem. It's all to do with the Tone Controls within the BluOS settings.

I'll list examples and how it sounds:

#1: Tone Controls (TC) OFF - variable volume set to 100 - gain set to 0 - Result DISTORTION

#2 TC on - variable Volume set to 100 - gain 0 - Result NO DISTORTION however sounds flat with no kick/dynamics/clarity

#3 TC OFF - Fixed Volume - DISTORTION unlistenable would damage speakers.

#4 TC ON - Fixed Volume - NO DISTORTION - but again flat sounding.

Now in each of the TC ON scenarios I need to push the volume on my amp approx double to get the same volume compared to using my Sparky streamer but if I try and set the Node 2 to match the Sparky gain/volume it sounds terrible and potentially speaker damaging.

Please note ALL of the above scenarios are with REPLAY GAIN DISABLED.

I still need to find someone that has a node 2 to compare with as I'm sure this one is faulty. I would sell it but can't if it's faulty.

I can't believe they sound as bad as this and can be beaten on sound quality by a little £70 streamer.

They just told me to take it to a dealer to listen to it, but nearest is an hour away and anyway it was a private sale.

So anyone else with same issues?

I don't have DAC to try as that might help, but surely RCA out should be ok too?

Thanks,

Mike.

If it was a private sale then the seller should take it back if it was having issues when you purchased it.

David

It's back to the seller who found out it has 5 year warranty, so it's on its way back to the shop.

You can't downgrade the firmware I'm afraid.

Seller refunded me rather than have the expense of posting it back to me again at a cost of £27 each way so we had already spent £54 on postage and figured enough was enough.

All credit to the seller for the refund and the way he handled this issue. I'll report back once we find out what was wrong.

Mike.

Hi mikeyb,

Thats a great seller you got there! Hope everything turn out well!

Any news on bluesound node 3?

Regards Wayne

It's back to the seller who found out it has 5 year warranty, so it's on its way back to the shop.

You can't downgrade the firmware I'm afraid.

Seller refunded me rather than have the expense of posting it back to me again at a cost of £27 each way so we had already spent £54 on postage and figured enough was enough.

All credit to the seller for the refund and the way he handled this issue. I'll report back once we find out what was wrong.

Mike.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Well I can finally report that the Node 2 was indeed faulty - it has had one of the boards replaced.

So I'm much happier now that I know I wasn't imagining it.

Seller did well to get Bluesound to acknowledge the fault and repair it.

Mike.

Wow Mikeyb!

Thats a great piece of news! Kudos to the seller and Bluesound!

Can't wait for your earnest Review!

regards Wayne

Hi,

Well I can finally report that the Node 2 was indeed faulty - it has had one of the boards replaced.

So I'm much happier now that I know I wasn't imagining it.

Seller did well to get Bluesound to acknowledge the fault and repair it.

Mike.