IGNORED

Group Test: USB gadgets (AQ Jitterbug, Uptone Regen, iFi iUSB3.0, iPurifier, iPurifier2, UPDATE on p.15…)

I have a crazy centipede of add ons now. Just need a little more time to bed in my upgraded mrspeakers Ether flow.

Samsung Galaxy s5- OTG adapter

supra AB usb cable

female B male Aadapter to I defender

I silencer to Male A male B adapter into.

I purifier 2 into the intona standard

Usb AB cable into Mytek Brooklyn amp Dac

The I defender is fed with a 5v regulated battery supply.

I got spend happy waiting for the Ethers upgrade and got the silencer defender. But it's designed for laptop PC not otg phone.

I can't test electrical noise but when the Headphones stabilisation is fixed I can do an add remove of parts to hear what helps.

I silencer is thier inverse signal filter and emi rfi blocker. They said it would work in conjunction with the I purifier 2.

The defender is a 5v port and ground loop killer (iso ground). Not an issue for me but made a fast clean 5v port.

It looks ridiculous I'll do a picture when I get home but no major reduction I could hear with my old B+W P7'S.

Will report when I can to compare with DMS great work here.

Have fun

Dave

Sent from my SM-G900F using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Haha I knew it would be a Chic addition to my audiophile chain. Less mess near my phone but hard to add a clean battery supply to the defender. So the ridiculous 2 extra adapters (blue grey A B)of a train wreck. Hopefully most of this will be gone but I took a hit to see what works...

The wife did a double take when she saw this mess...

Just to clarify this RoboSnake of hell...

This isn't a defacto chain of sonic improvement..Good God no.... It was in a small way in DMs vain seeing what works.

I had the IFI IPURIFIER 2 first with my previous Dac (Oppo HA1) Now the Mytek Brooklyn..

An Intona Standard hidden in a shielded case. I chained the 2 as it made a slight benefit to include the Purifier.

The i Defender was me being lazy and not making a ground lift and clean 5v line mini cable.

Intona kills the battery on my phone. The Battery supply will be modded to house more MAH later to give 30000mah. So no twice weekly charging..

This mess is because IFI'S I defender is a top chain pass through design, acting as a USB extension in a PC usb slot.

This configuration is because I keep away from PC transport and run UAPP (Android USB AUDIO PLAYER PRO) from a phone in bit perfect mode. Plugged into an otg extender is fine but not when you have a 5v line trailing power cable attached.

The 2 hard adapters in Grey blue only convert USB A to B. If I had the mind to I could desolder and make them USB B... A buy it now on amazon is faster? to get them working down chain..

The IFI DEFENDER was me being lazy and the wife banning me from soldering in the house.

The I purifier like DM was. .. does it do anything chained? or Singular?

But getting all in this in a chain as you can see is a bloody mess and funny to look at.. and itchy Amazon fingers, waiting 6 weeks for a headphone upgrade over xmass are the work of the Devil..

This falls in nicely with DM'S testing of what works as it was half in my brain to do so!!! but not as technical. Just my big old ears..

Cheap add on parts removed from IFI'S main tech is tempting. As we know thier main products have these as standard.

2 hours over time at the weekend in work payed for 1 IFI Trinket so no major loss for me to try....

I only displayed this mess as DM jumped my gun before my headphones settle as planars, Mr SpeakersEthers Flow(200) hours settle to where hopefully I can hear what the IFI trinkets do or dont add..

Single or mega chained....

But I am unique here I think in my transport and bed side setup for quiet listening and reading..

My power chain is almost as excessive.... With A DC purifier in there. Sbooster 12V Linear> Balanced isolation transformer > DC Offset Filter>

I have a lot of work to evaluate everything when I can. A nightmare of AB testing Power and USB Configurations.

The hard part is the Ether flow upgrade has completely changed the detail retrieval from my music, making this process both easier and harder.

As I have to start again evaluating my music and what happens when you add one or more USB toys to help or hinder.

if I can do a product evaluation half as good as DM has.... It will be worth the effort and cost.

So please excuse the horror show picture...

It was just for fun with them all attached for DM and my personal fun factor....

But small spending like a crazy audiophile kleptomaniac to say "Ooooh I wonder if that works???" has trapped me between 'a rock and a hard..adapter'

[emoji4]

Reading all this back I realized I may need help or cut up my credit card. ..

Any idea what the Black USB Cable is? If the iSilencer3.0 product works as advertised, with stackable noise reduction, so as many that can be stacked on the USB bus, the more pronounced the noise reduction.

Hi no disc

My silly experiment was trying the IFI DEFENDER Silencer at the dac end. It's designed to be a computer USB port pass through. I use my phone as transport.

The black cable is a standard Android mini charging cable that fits on the IFI DEFENDER as an alternative usb 5v. The black box houses 3.7v batteries regulated to 5v out.

More for the fact that an intona in the silver case below kills phone battery with an IFI IPURIFIER 2 sticking out of it.

People have always tried the theory that if one is better than 0 then 2 must be good. Like DM'S great thread here I burned a bit extra cash to see for myself. Even if the advice is don't do it.....!!!!

It saves someone from spending and we all learn. Sometime you have to give back a little, as it's ok to let others buy n try kit but it is fun trying for a reasonable amount of money and have a bit of fun doing it.

So yer just an alternative 5v cable for the IFI IDEFENDER. Not killing my phone battery.

But in general much better for a laptop PC to bypass it's 5v. The phone as transport isn't that bad...

Have fun and good luck

Dave [emoji4]

You can't fix an issue that wasn't there and hope a purchase doesn't degrade what you have. Balanced with what's a reasonable spend for you. It's why breaking out circuits from thier flag ships into little metal boxes is a good strategy leveraging R+D costs.

I am finding Power cleaning first then take advantage of a great thread like this to polish your transport with DM'S first hand opinions.

Really glad he took the time to help us all?

• 2 months later...

I cheated and used my IFI DEFENDER as a port to feed battery to my intona.

I have now the UPTONE LPS 1. I just had to buy an DC FEMALE to micro Usb  cable.

Fantastic jump in all directions and confused my favourites list in my collection. Finer treble details nicer bass ect. I run from a phone remember not a pc so separate battery bypass just lengthened by phone life. 

I wish I had the technical know how to run both sides of the intona spartan FPGA'S from the Lps1 but incoming clean 5v is great from before and it's no slouch.

No free lunch on price this way but definitely a good improvement..

Cheers

Dave

• 1 year later...