IGNORED

Which music controller would anyone suggest?

Westlower

Having said that, it would be a shame to see all that effort wasted and not have some feedback on the comparison between the two setups!

Might be best to stick to the stock power supplies, if you have yet to upgrade, to save you further (financial) expense :)

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Well I have had built a RPi3 HifiBerry +pro and a linear power supply...

so i'll give it all a spin with some local files for now and post my companion with the BSn2

There could be a nice RPi set up for sale cheap soon!!

Having said that, it would be a shame to see all that effort wasted and not have some feedback on the comparison between the two setups!

Might be best to stick to the stock power supplies, if you have yet to upgrade, to save you further (financial) expense :)

Well I spent last evening fiddling with the Rpi

configuring LMS on the NAS for Tidal and generally finding my way round the pi and settings. After much messing with the out put profiles for picoreplayer finally music !

And contrary to what I feared, with the Rpi 3 Hifi berry pro+ Linear psu feeding USB to the Posh USB /spdif converter and on to my external DAC the results were....Sensational!!

Whilst the Bluesound node2 is a great piece of kit for the money and offers MQA (which I find is hit and miss, messing with the presentation of some music so much it seems unbalanced!) there is without doubt an impressive improvement in the sound with the Rpi. Over all I can say it just sounds more musical, and well just more!! Either that or I was just really happy for the set up to work! I put it on again this morning, after fiddling again with picore players DAC output settings,(for some reason that had changed since last night!?), the sound was staggeringly good. The only question at the moment is stability of the settings when powering off the Rpi to booting up again...

I'll hold on to the Bluesoound node2 for a while, because it is as I said bloody good for what it is...at least until I'm totally convinced of the stability.

So far so good!!

If I'm picky...Only negative is the interface of LMS is pretty Dull and non informative of the music.

But for a while I will live with that.

Well I spent last evening fiddling with the Rpi

configuring LMS on the NAS for Tidal and generally finding my way round the pi and settings. After much messing with the out put profiles for picoreplayer finally music !

And contrary to what I feared, with the Rpi 3 Hifi berry pro+ Linear psu feeding USB to the Posh USB /spdif converter and on to my external DAC the results were....Sensational!!

Whilst the Bluesound node2 is a great piece of kit for the money and offers MQA (which I find is hit and miss, messing with the presentation of some music so much it seems unbalanced!) there is without doubt an impressive improvement in the sound with the Rpi. Over all I can say it just sounds more musical, and well just more!! Either that or I was just really happy for the set up to work! I put it on again this morning, after fiddling again with picore players DAC output settings,(for some reason that had changed since last night!?), the sound was staggeringly good. The only question at the moment is stability of the settings when powering off the Rpi to booting up again...

I'll hold on to the Bluesoound node2 for a while, because it is as I said bloody good for what it is...at least until I'm totally convinced of the stability.

So far so good!!

If I'm picky...Only negative is the interface of LMS is pretty Dull and non informative of the music.

But for a while I will live with that

Over all I can say it just sounds more musical, and well just more!! Either that or I was just really happy for the set up to work!

Well at least you recognize there may be other factors at play. What matters is that you're happy with it.

The only question at the moment is stability of the settings when powering off the Rpi to booting up again...

I have two RPis running piCorePlayer and both survive a reboot/power cycle without losing settings.

I'll hold on to the Bluesoound node2 for a while, because it is as I said bloody good for what it is...

Did you use the external DAC with the Bluesound? How did that sound?

Roon is the solution to this so long as you're willing to pay for it.

Apesbrain. Thanks I couldn't have done

The set up without your good instructions

Yes I used an external DAC with the Bluesound which improves it but the BSN was no slouch either.

Room looks good but I see it takes a more powerful pc than the NAS so will give it a miss for a bit..

It's been holding the settings since so all good!

Although the wifi on the Rpi drops out much more than it ever did with BSN (the family were streaming stuff in other rooms, so maybe that) if it continues dropping wifi

I will have to cable it..

Although the wifi on the Rpi drops out much more than it ever did with BSN (the family were streaming stuff in other rooms, so maybe that) if it continues dropping wifi

I will have to cable it..

Are you using the on-board wifi on RPi 3? Others have reported issues with it. For short money, this USB adapter works well with piCorePlayer:

Edimax EW 7811UN N150 USB 2 0 Wireless Nano Adapter 4710700927168 | eBay