IGNORED

Which music controller would anyone suggest?

Westlower

Hi was thinking to use on a Rpi 3 / HIFIBerry Digi + pro (with a nice Linear power supply)

feeding into my (posh) USB/SPDIF converter and on to my (posh) DAC

I want to play music from my
NAS drive
(synology) and
TIDAL High Res Streaming

Which controller would anyone suggest?

I am not a Techie! at all!

and I would like to use the apple iPad and an iphone to use remotely..

Any suggestions please??

Yes Roon looks great but, if I understand correctly, it has to run from an additional computer and then put Bridge on the RPi...I Don't want another computer in the chain. My NAS Synology drive is a basic model and can't accomedate the Roon Server

Pretty sure the first suggestion you'll get on this site is Roon. It's pretty great, check it out.

I swear by iPeng. Not free but worth the nine bucks to me for such a great UI compared to the other free ones (Kazoo, Lumin, etc).

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

Ok, one step at a time. Like so many other of technology's promises, actually getting there can be a long road indeed.

First, get LMS running on the Synology and let it index your music library. Once you've done that, get one of your PCs to be capable of playback: open a browser to http://diskstation.local:9000 and you should see the LMS interface. Go to "Settings" in lower right, click on "Plugins" tab, and install the "Local Player" option. After LMS restarts, refresh the web page and you should be able to play to that PC from your library. If all that works, the next step is to tackle the RPi/HiFiBerry.

• 3 weeks later...

hi Apesbrain

I have done the set up on the NAS with LMS

I now have the RPi and i don't know what to do with it really, what to install?

Please help...

Ok, one step at a time. Like so many other of technology's promises, actually getting there can be a long road indeed.

First, get LMS running on the Synology and let it index your music library. Once you've done that, get one of your PCs to be capable of playback: open a browser to http://diskstation.local:9000 and you should see the LMS interface. Go to "Settings" in lower right, click on "Plugins" tab, and install the "Local Player" option. After LMS restarts, refresh the web page and you should be able to play to that PC from your library. If all that works, the next step is to tackle the RPi/HiFiBerry.

Yes, well in theory, i get the widow on my MacBook showing all my stored Music In the LMS window and the playing widow shows the tune loaded and ready to load but I press play and it won't start the audio

Are you able to play from LMS on one of your other PCs as I described?

it's also very slow to respond.. to load the tune from the list to the paying window

Yes, well in theory, i get the widow on my MacBook showing all my stored Music In the LMS window and the playing widow shows the tune loaded and ready to load but I press play and it won't start the audio

These are not encouraging signs. It basically indicates that the NAS does not have sufficient processing power to run LMS. I struck that because I see others on Synology forums are able to get it to work. Do you ever actually get music to play at your PC?

Try this: In LMS main window at lower right there is a "Settings" link. Click it and go to "Advanced" tab. On the drop-down list, go to "Performance" and set "Server Priority" to "-16 High". Restart LMS or reboot the NAS. Try to play music and see if any better response.

Also try http://diskstation.local:9002 which I've just learned is the default LMS address on Synology.

The NAS is wired to your router, right?

Also see these:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?103636-Test-Repo-for-LMS-7-9-0-on-Synology-DSM-5-*

https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?t=125673

Yes it's wired to router, I'll try that. Im not with the NAS at the moment i'm at work.

I'll give it a try later.

I use the Bluesoud node2 to pick up the music on the NAs which works really well.

These are not encouraging signs. It basically indicates that the NAS does not have sufficient processing power to run LMS. Do you ever actually get music to play at your PC?

Try this: In LMS main window at lower right there is a "Settings" link. Click it and go to "Advanced" tab. On the drop-down list, go to "Performance" and set "Server Priority" to "-16 High". Restart LMS or reboot the NAS. Try to play music and see if any better response.

The NAS is wired to your router, right?

Also see this:

https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?t=125673

I have a rather good USB / SPDIF Converter which only takes USB in then SPDIF to the external DAC, The Bluesound Node2 doesn't do

USB out. I was also advised this route with RPi with good Linear power supply would be much better SQ as the BlueSound Node2 has a Switching Power Supply. Now i'm not sure the trade off is worth it with the messing around.

Now i'm not sure the trade off is worth it with the messing around.

It is not. The claims you mention are dubious at best. The Bluesound is a fine piece of equipment with ongoing support and firmware upgrades. If you want MQA, it now supports it. If you want to use a different DAC, just use its S/PDIF outputs. I'm sorry but your concerns about power supplies are a sign you've been spending too much time on this forum.