IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

1 hour ago, ElviaCaprice said:

I don't understand why anyone wants to replace the Crystek 575 in their SU-1

The SU-1 costs so little I'm willing to try.  If it doesn't sound better then I will send the sCLK-EX back to SoTM and have them replace the clocks on my server motherboard.

it would be good if someone with an original SU-1 could blind test both in their system.

SOtM sMS-200ultra (12v, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

SOtM tX-USBultra (12v, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

Singxer SU-1 (7v SOtM sCLK-EX, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

W4S DAC2v2 SE (SOtM sCLK-EX silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

Mutec REF 10, Bryston BP6, Trinnov Altitude 32, 9 x Bryston 7B³s, B&W 800D3s, B&W HTM1 D3, 2 x Arendal Sub 3,

SOtM dCBL-CAT7 (ISO-CAT6 SE), SOtM eABS-200 installed on all components, JCAT NET Card FEMTO, mRendu, dCS Rossini DAC, Chord Hugo 2, Schitt Yggy, Chord Qutest (ordered for home office), UpTone ISO Regen, 5 x UpTone LPS-1s, 4 x PH SR4s, 5 x UpTone LPS-1.2s

On 6/27/2017 at 2:47 PM, magnuska said:

Hi Bamber,

I emailed Sotm about burn in. I have the sms-200 ultra and tx-usb ultra since almost 2 weeks now. 

May Park told me that all sotm products need 1 months to fully burn in. The two first weeks one can hear different performance from the units as often as 2-3 hours in between. After two weeks they have settled more. I can agree to this, It is very much so. For me the sms-200 ultra was a clear improvement even from cold compared to mR.

So for all fair comparisions to be made make sure all units are burnt in as much as possible:)

Regards Magnus

I left the SoTM duo playing for 9 hours today and without a doubt the sound has become warmer.

Singxer SU-1 (7v SOtM sCLK-EX, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

W4S DAC2v2 SE (SOtM sCLK-EX silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

Mutec REF 10, Bryston BP6, Trinnov Altitude 32, 9 x Bryston 7B³s, B&W 800D3s, B&W HTM1 D3, 2 x Arendal Sub 3,

SOtM dCBL-CAT7 (ISO-CAT6 SE), SOtM eABS-200 installed on all components, JCAT NET Card FEMTO, mRendu, dCS Rossini DAC, Chord Hugo 2, Schitt Yggy, Chord Qutest (ordered for home office), UpTone ISO Regen, 5 x UpTone LPS-1s, 4 x PH SR4s, 5 x UpTone LPS-1.2s

SoTM have agreed to fit sCLK-EXs to my Wyred 4 Sound DAC2v2 SE and a new Singxer SU-1.

Does anyone know if the Mutec REF 10 is available to order in the UK?

I sent an email to Affinity Audio who are listed as the UK distributor, but they haven't replied.

3 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Well played, sir, well played! How did you get SOtM to agree to this?

I asked if they had plans for a new DDC in the near future which would include an IIS-LVDS connection and support DSD to at least 256.  My main point to them was I need a solution which will let me use a master clock on all devices in the chain.

They agreed to the DAC first and then agreed to the Singxer in the next email exchange.

I'm happy they included the Singxer even though it isn't needed in my current setup it will be a factor in planned upgrades.  It will be interesting to test further combinations in the SoTM chain.

1 minute ago, BigAlMc said:

Nice work! +1 on can't wait to get your impressions on the modded SU-1. 

Do you have or are you getting an SMS-200 or SMS-200ultra as part of this bold venture? 

I'm not sure how long this takes but hopefully I will be able to give you some feedback in 2 or 3 weeks.

I have a SMS-200ultra and am getting that fitted with the switch upgrade and a 75Ω Master Clock connection also.

7 minutes ago, rickca said:

How can you be sure the SOtM clock is going to be better,

I can't know for certain but we won't know until someone tries.  I'm happy to do this with a £3500 DAC but wouldn't dare do it with a Chord Dave or the likes :)  I also want to use the Master Clock with all devices.

1 minute ago, austinpop said:

Assuming you'll get sCLK-EX boards in each of the Singxer and the W4S DAC? Or share somehow?

While you're at it, I strongly recommend adding the switch upstream of the sMS-200ultra. I cannot overemphasize the huge bang-for-buck. Does your sMS-200ultra already have the 2 free clock taps exposed as SMB outputs on the back? If not, you will have to send it back to them to add, but well, well worth it.

I'm getting sCLK-EX boards in each so I can maintain flexibility.

i will be sending the sMS-200ultra to get the switch mod at the same time and also have a Master clock connector fitted.  I purchased the sMS-200ultra from a different dealer to where I purchased the tX-USBultra and the first dealer didn't have this option listed at the time of ordering.

Way to go all in!

I had planned to upgrade my home cinema projector but changed my mind because I'm so impressed with the SoTM ultra devices.

18 minutes ago, AmusedToD said:

Wow, I asked the same a month ago and they refused. Perhaps they have changed their mind about it.

They said no to me before too.

12 minutes ago, austinpop said:

So your chain will look like this?

Switch (sCLK mod) > sMS-200ultra > tX-USBultra >SU-1 Ultra > W4S DAC Ultra

Depending on how testing goes the Singxer may be included in this chain or used in my second system.

6 minutes ago, TopQuark said:

That will end up with a lot of unused clocks to spare.

The tX-USBultra will have 3.

The other devices will only have a max of 1 spare each.  I haven't listed all the options I have requested until everything is agreed with SoTM.

14 minutes ago, rickca said:

So you don't currently use SU-1 I2S into your DAC-2V2 SE?  This is the combination that had an incompatibility issue.  In any case, if you were to use I2S, it wouldn't make sense to upgrade the clock in the DAC-2V2 SE if I understand this correctly.  None of this is meant as criticism, I'm just trying to follow all this stuff with my jaw on the floor.

I'm purchasing the SU-1 directly from Singxer (Leter) with the W4S firmware and capacitor already fitted.

The way I understand it is that the SU-1 clock will be used for I2S to the W4S DAC.  The W4S DAC clock would be used for USB, AES, Toslink and SPDIF.  In any event the SU-1 will only be used for testing in this chain unless the I2S connection is an improvement on the USB connection.

1 hour ago, rickca said:

OK thanks for the explanation.  You will have a lot of configuration flexibility.

SoTM think there are at least 3 clocks in the W4S DAC2v2 SE and there could be more.  They won't know until it arrives with them, hopefully they won't find more than 4. 

13 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

Just wondering - with all these improvements advanced by Romaz and others in this thread - have any of you noticed a change in the importance of the USB cable?

I'm using the Curious Cables Regen links between my SoTM devices.  I don't have any fancy USB cables, I have 2 Furutech GT2s which didn't sound good compared to the Curious Cables Regen links.

That's one plus with the SoTM boxes, the small size make it easy to use very short cable lengths.  I will eventually try the UpTone USPCB after all the positive reviews.

16 minutes ago, romaz said:

I expect a considerable break-in period.  I say this because a good friend who is also a reviewer had recently purchased his own tX-USBultra and upon receiving it, he marveled at how harsh and flat it sounded relative to the broken-in review unit SOtM had sent him (which he still has in his possession).  He said the A/B was very obvious.  With more time on his new tX-USBultra, the harshness is diminishing and depth and air are improving.  

I have found the same Romaz, when I first received my SoTM devices I was impressed with the detail but wasn't enjoying the cold harsh sound.  I blamed this on my low end power supplies but after 4 days there was a big change.

I also have to confess when I first read your thread I wasn't convinced about your reports that an upgraded switch and super clocks could make a difference worth the considerable cost.  Audio is well down my hobby list but what I've heard so far has encouraged me to invest a little bit more on the Romaz chain :)  Thank you and others for taking the time to post here,  I'm enjoying the findings in this thread.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2017 at 7:36 AM, austinpop said:

In the next day or two, we should be doing another listening session at Eric's, so will report on that soon. I suspect many folks will want to know how this combo sounds:

Looking forward to it as always.  I've spent at least 10 mins catching up on this expansive thread :)

My SU-1 (W4S version) arrived from Singxer on Wednesday so I was finally able to ship the sMS-200ultra, DAC and SU-1 to SOtM three weeks later than planned.

http://s1160.photobucket.com/user/Bamber90009/media/DSC58911_zpswxylheng.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

While they are away I'm using the family room system to burn-in the REF10 and test various clock cables.  I haven't used the Yaggie for 5 months so have to become accustomed to it again.  It's more practical as my regular system is in a 48U recessed cabinet so swapping cables quickly isn't easy.

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q484/Bamber90009/DSC58913_zpse2tnomrr.jpg

I've tested three 75Ω cables so far:

• Nordost Valhalla 1M (I already owned this cable)
  • Tara Labs RSC Digital Air 0.5M (recommended by Mutec)
  • Belden 1694a Canare 0.5M

I can't hear any difference between these cables at this stage but will keep testing.

When the REF10 is engaged on the tX-USBultra instruments sound more solid and natural.

I can't wait to hear what it does with 4 x CLK-EXs in the chain.

My SU-1 (W4S version) arrived from Singxer on Wednesday so I was finally able to ship the sMS-200ultra, DAC and SU-1 to SOtM three weeks later than planned.

While they are away I'm using the family room system to burn-in the REF10 and test various clock cables.  I haven't used the Yaggie for 5 months so have to become accustomed to it again.  It's more practical as my regular system is in a 48U recessed cabinet so swapping cables quickly isn't easy.

I've tested three 75Ω cables so far:

• Nordost Valhalla 1M (I already owned this cable)
  • Tara Labs RSC Digital Air 0.5M (recommended by Mutec)
  • Belden 1694a Canare 0.5M

I can't hear any difference between these cables at this stage but will keep testing.

When the REF10 is engaged on the tX-USBultra instruments sound more solid and natural.

I can't wait to hear what it does with 4 x CLK-EXs in the chain.

DSC58911.jpg

DSC58913.jpg

The REF10 is one of the easier components to blind test by yourself when using 1 output.  A quick twist and a random number of clicks on the output selector and you don't know if it is engaged or not without looking at the LED.

When engaged the changes aren't radical, you can certainly hear slightly more detail.  The soundstage doesn't change but there is better separation between instruments.

The only negative that I found with the SoTM chain was that it sounded a tad bright in my system, with the REF10 engaged that is gone.  I've been listening to most genres of music all day and night.  Female voices, kick drums, cymbals, violins all sound real and fleshed out now.

I'm listening Sibelius Symphonies nos. 3, 6 & 7 right now, a recording I've played dozens of times but I've never enjoyed it like this before.

Adding the tX-USBultra to my system brought the biggest improvement in detail, the REF10 improves the dynamics.

I still can't hear any difference between cables after 2 days of careful listening.

1 minute ago, mozes said:

Thanks for sharing your impressions, if one has a tX-USBultra maybe adding a second tX is a better value than the Ref 10. Of course we are talking apples and oranges here, but that will be interesting to test. 

Exactly, if only I lived closer to other CA members to try that.

I've still to experience the ISO Regen in the chain too.

10 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Vänskä/Minnesota on BIS?

That's the one.

7 minutes ago, mozes said:

Come to Toronto :)

5 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Or Austin! Nonstop on BA.

I thought Rajiv and Eric had covered most combinations, now we need to span three countries to get enough gear :)

1 hour ago, TopQuark said:

Does this unit even exists?

amir57bs has ordered one

my order confirmed by paul in Streacom FC9 chassis :

1 off SR7DRMR3XLFC9                            £2305
1 off DC10FSXL 60cm                            £0178
2 off DC6FSXL 60cm                              £0256
DHL express shipping to Tehran              £0330
Insurance for loss or damage in transit     £0110
Total goods and shipping costs                 £3179

A new review of the sms-200ultra and sps-500

https://www.audiostream.com/content/sotm-sms-200ultra-mini-network-player-and-sps-500-power-supply

I'm working on improving my power supplies in the mean time I purchased a sps-500 to tide me over.

I wanted to compare the sps-500 to the LPS-1s so I purchased another secondhand LPS-1 so I could wire 2 in series to get 12V.

I've been testing both these to power a tx-USBultra (12v).  There isn't much between them but so far I prefer the sps-500 as it helped to bring out more bass detail in my setup.  It just seems to add more weight to the presentation without losing any detail.

SOtM told me that the 12v ultra units can be run at 9v by making adjustments inside.  All stages of filtering on the sCLK-EX will still be active at 9v so I will be trying that once I receive the instructions from their engineer.

It's too bad they didn't think to try an sCLK-EX modded switch.

The reviewers probably avoid it for now as you know someone will write a comment about packet buffers etc.

14 minutes ago, austinpop said:

The sPS-500 is sounding like a winner.

It even sounded good with a Y cable powering a NUC and the tx-USBultra together.  I wouldn't use it like this but it does sound good.