IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

On 1/29/2021 at 2:05 AM, guiltyboxswapper said:

Needs to be either the -onload or -plus versions to utilise onload, but you can compile and run the onload driver (without full blown onload) and still reap some benefits.  Certainly sounded better than out of the box driver (one included in kernel).

I am using euphony and thinking about buying a solarflare 8522 onload. How to install such a driver to enable unload(ultra low latency) under euphony?  would this "kernal bypass" function hurt or benefit sound quality? Thanks!

37 minutes ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

Contact Euphony team, they'll work with you to enable Onload (they have the packages ready to go).  

We tried compiling Onload drivers for our system several months ago but it didn't work. Not sure if and when we will try again.

Regards,
Željko

Just contacted, unfortunatly no.  I wonder how much of an improvement of "Onload" would provide anyway. maybe it could even hurt sound quality by taking up too much CPU resources?   maybe I will just get a 2522

I think euphony has some SQ advantage over audiolinux and I am used to it.  So won’t change the system to accommodate onload for now. 

I ordered the 2522 on eBay for a good price.  It is a 25g card so maybe it has a better clock than 8522?     

The seller did a quick test, does anyone know that this is a 2522 basic or 2522 onload?   the screenshot shows the latency is less than 1ms. 

5E997A54-5F9E-4919-8B60-676DB33D3ED3.jpeg

C542E142-C6F8-4E30-85DC-93A11AE411F7.jpeg

26082FCC-9B42-4CB4-8CC5-6DCC285CB0A4.jpeg

39 minutes ago, seeteeyou said:

Yours seemed to be showing "Installed keys 0" so that should be the cheaper model without Onload at all.

The ones with Onload would display "Installed keys Plus" as shown below

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001708504396.html

ebDsQni.jpg

Even open box ones would cost $550 a piece

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194115170400

In other words, you'll get what you're paying for IMHO.

I got it for 180 dollars. so it must be the basic version. The latency seems be less than 1ms, very low already, so i am happy. will do some reviews when I received it.