IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

16 hours ago, Johnseye said:

Why use the 12v molex if you power externally with 9v?  The 9v power to the tX-USBexp will power the sCLK.  If your 9v external power is from a cleaner source, and it's more direct not passing through the motherboard, why not just use it?

12V molex still has to be connected - read the manual.

When feed with external 9V, power from molex is automatically catted off.

Aqua Acoustics La Voce + Gato Audio AMP-150 + Opera Callas speakers

Audio PC LPS+Neutrino clock+SoTm USBexp + Win10 + Fidelizer Pro

19 hours ago, Johnseye said:

No it does not have to be connected.  I've read the manual.  Point out where it says it "has" to be connected.  I do not have it connected and I power it though an external source.

You missed what I posted earlier from May at SOtM.

"The tX-USBexp can take 12V internal power, but when you use external power to tX-USBexp, it can’t be 12V, it should be max.9V.

You can power to tX-USBexp externally(9V) and power to sCLK-EX via external 9V-> tX-USBexp-> sCLK-EX directly without SATA connection.

and If you use 12V IDE power to tX-USBexp, yes, you can use this power to sCLK-EX via the J403(tX-USBexp) to  sCLK-EX’s Power input connector(Check the page 2 on the manual), the sCLK-EX should set to accept 12V."

Sorry if I mist something.

But "has to be" is when says:

4.If you connect the IDE power cable inside of PC to the IDE power input connector of tX-USBexp while the tX-USBexp get powered by the external power input, it can prevent the damage of the internal parts of tX-USBexp or PC when the external power suddenly cut off

For me it is as must be.

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, KingRex said:

You really should consider the Mojo audio Illuminati power supply. It's significantly more expensive than others but the results I have on my system are quite outstanding.

Are you crazy to pay 1000$ for this: Illuminati v2 Circuit Board

• 1 month later...

Is anyone tried to build own 10MHz WCLK? 

There are some not so expensive Abracon OCXO 10MHz 2-5PPB oscillators on the market. With good quality PSU it could be something maybe worth to test?

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, my friend replaced crystal oscillator motherboard with NewClassD NeutronStar. Is extremally happy with sound effect. Especially the soundstage is bigger, more clear and precision. The system is stable.

But integrated graphics card (Intel CPU) seems to don't like new clock. Time to time screen get black or flashing on the bottom (it is not a monitor problem). When screen is off music still plays as normal, so that's why it looks like system is still stable.

Interesting that simple switching lights on in the room may destabilize graphics card.

The NeutronStar is powered by NewClassD PSU supplied with a clock. Clock voltage is setup to 3.3V

Any ideas what can make those problems?

2 hours ago, RickyV said:

It also maybe smart to put some shielding on the clocks pcb's and power supply. Computers are noisy emi.

What frequentie is the neutron star?

It is 24MHz

Thank you RickyV! 

On 5/31/2018 at 7:03 AM, internethandle said:

Unfortunately I don't have a solution for you, but this same issue occurs with my Paul Pang TCXO-modded ASUS motherboard with Intel graphics from time to time. It does seem to stabilize over time and happen less and less frequently, but I have not found any reliable way of either provoking it into happening or getting it to stop other than waiting it out. My suggestion, then, would be to keep the PC on 24/7 and see if the problem eventually either lessens or stops. Restarting the computer or doing some other major system change (re-installing Windows, for instance) always seemed to make it happen with the highest amount of frequency, which was very annoying, but after leaving my audio PC on 24/7 for a number days it (usually) would stop happening. Still, every once in awhile it will re-appear without warning for a few days (less frequent drop outs than if I did a system change of some sort, but still there and annoying), and I again just have to wait it out until it stabilizes again.

So maybe the only solution is to put additional, passive cooled NVidia/AMD graphic card and use it instead?

On 6/3/2018 at 9:23 PM, ElviaCaprice said:

I've yet to give this a go, but others report positive results.

I can confirm. I am using Sata III filter. The effect is minimal but important for me. It improves 'timing' in sound if you know what I mean.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, anybody compared Sotm SATA filter vs good power regulator to feed your SSD?

I am wondering is it still worth to replace filter, which I am currently using and use VR based on LT3045 instead.

• 4 weeks later...
23 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

Now I'm wondering where did Paul Pang source his OCXO for modifying motherboards.

5V from molex plug.

On 10/27/2018 at 3:07 PM, seeteeyou said:

No love for 14.318MHz then, maybe Neutron Star 2 could support that but not sure.

14.318MHz or kHz? This looks like real time clock. Not chipset/system clock ;)

What is your motherboard again?

On 9/18/2018 at 9:21 AM, seeteeyou said:

FYI - yet another USB DDC with 10MHz reference clock input

AZNcoQ5.jpg EbtRk97.jpg

Just ordered one today. Will directly compare with my modded SU-1 and Dante DIO XLR.

2 hours ago, diecaster said:

This is just plain false. You keep trying to sell this as fact when it is only a few people's opinion. It's as bad as flat-earthers....

It's not few people opinion. It is a fact!

13 hours ago, sunny_time_99 said:

Hi,

did anyone tried daphile in a client/server setup and compare it to audiolinux? for the last nearly 4 years i am using daphile an the futro 900 thinclient with realy supreme audio results. i use it in an Server/Client Setup with my own designed power supply.

To try daphile its only a 5 Minute thing to do... You just need to prepare 2 usb sticks or sd-cards to make it run. anyone here who tried that too?

you can buy my recommended futro for 20-30 euro on eBay - and even when labled Fujitsu its still made in Germany! Its a perfect match for the daphile 64-bit rt kernel. 4GB ram is highly recommended. Throw the 20v smps and use a good and clean min. 2A rated LPS for optimal results.

On the picture os my prototype client. Newclassd neutron star reference clock. DC filter,  mosfet rectifier with lt4320, choke filter and belleson and uwb2 regulators. Seperate power for thin, cf, clock and a modified ideon 3R MK2. A bit small the enclosure... But its ok...

regards

sunny

IMG_20181028_223515.jpg

5 transformers? Why you didn't get 1 with many secondary winding? You would save lot of space.

Do you power your drive (SSD?) on separate line as well? Did you test it how big SQ difference is this step?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/4/2019 at 8:07 PM, numlog said:

Does anyone have experience with different CPUs?

I replaced Pentium 2c to low power i5 4c. No sound related changes after all.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/5/2019 at 8:38 PM, numlog said:

Have you ever experimenting with underclocking and noticed changes from that?

Sorry for delayed answer. Yes I have. Its same effect as changing timings and other bios settings. You can slightly hear it. 

• 3 years later...

Hi guys, whats the best DDR4 non-ECC if not APACER? Any suggestions?

I was thinking to try some Hynix 2666, maybe Crucial 2400 on Micron chips?

15 hours ago, MarcelNL said:

why not go for the kill and order Apacer

My friend who owns Apacers will let me to test them in my system so I will know them.

15 hours ago, MarcelNL said:

rather than having to work your way through several types of RAM?

I like collect experience and knowledge

So far Crucial on Micron chips (2400 slowed down to 2133) improved SQ against GSkill. But they needs few days to "burn in"

• 2 months later...
On 10/6/2023 at 7:34 PM, MarcelNL said:

I heard folks say that Hynix can be good, the Apacer are using Samsung chips...why not go for the kill and order Apacer rather than having to work your way through several types of RAM?

So I found ones which I compared with Apacer directly and I like them more then Apacer :)

It is Samsung M391A1K43DB2-CWE DDR4-3200 ECC. The sound is similar but Samsung even more liquid and more come on high mids.

I tested only 5 different RAM modules and I thing was worth to do that.

Micron chips sounds the worst. Very sharp and digital. Most far away from anolog sound.

Hynix nothing special but better than above.

Standard Samsung UDIMMS nonECC I would say the best from the cheap ram.