IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

OK, I'm just coming into this thread, which has an attention catching name to start with.

Please do not tell me I have to read all 524 pages of it.

My intention is to assemble two dedicated streaming networks at home: one for audio, one for video. They share the same PC and server, where all my files will be placed, in several HDDs. My guess is the final size should exceed 30TB, mostly because of the video library.

But I think this forum is only for audio, so let's get to what I was recommended to start with.

1) Server. For now I will use a PC that I already have, and I'm not using, as my server. With an Asus mobo and Intel cpu, running a Linux server soft. When the time comes I will get a "proper" server.

2) PC audio manager. HQplayer was the one that was recommended to me.

3) Ethernet cabled network. Nothing wireless.

4) Audio room streamer. Raspberry Pi 3 B+., which apparently has none of the issues other RPBY used to have, I am told. Linux and NAA are what I should use here. Will have to learn about it.

5) DAC output. The RPBY will connect to the DAC, for now a Topping D50, through USB. Which would allow me using DSD files too, that apparently HQplayer does handle. These I have also been told. 

The DAC analog output will feed the amplifier and speakers. Amplifier & speakers are also part of my 5.1 movie audio system, but has separate amplifier inputs for music listening.

The question now is if this assembly will provide the superior SQ I expect. How is this different from the other combos people are using?

Should I go elsewhere with these questions? Perhaps a specific Raspberry thread?

Thanks,

Carlos

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, lmitche said:

@sandyk

Have you listened to music from a 12 volt double regulated (lt3045 - 3 amp) linear power supply powered 3.5 inch hard drive connected to a server via a USB 3.1 gen2 enclosure to a USB 3.1 gen2 pcie card powered by a 12 volt double or triple regulated (lt3045 - 1.5 amp) linear power supply?

FWIW, after years of testing SATA, NAS, HDD, SSD, and NVME options, this solution sounds best here. I know of at least five other people from CA that do the same with or without the server based USB card (as they use NUC servers), and are delighted with the results.

What LT3045 regulator or power supply are you using and what USB 3.1 gen2 enclosure is that?

How do you power a pcie card with an external supply and cut the internal socket power links?