IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

Hi guys,

I figured I'll give this bridged ethernet a shot. I have a slightly different setup than most here, so I'll explain that first.

Until now, I have been running Roon Core on my Late 2009 iMac which is running Mountain Lion (10.8.5). The router/modem with internet is in another room far away, while the iMac and the Bryston BDP-1 are in the same room close to each other. I don't have ethernet running throughout the house.

The iMac is connected wirelessly to my modem/router, which access the internet and lets Roon run. I have selected wireless as the preference in top order in network setting. In order to connect the BDP-1 to the iMac, I have a spare router (with wireless disabled) and a switch (w/ LPS) that I keep in the listening room. The iMac/spare router/switch/BDP-1 are connected by ethernet. This works perfectly.

So I figured I'll try the bridged ethernet. The iMac has an ethernet port and no thunderbolt. So I got a USB to ethernet Apple adapter. All of them show up Network devices and active. I'm connecting the BDP-1 and iMac directly with ethernet. I'm using the USB to ethernet adapter for connecting to the spare router/switch in the room, so it can assign stuff.

When I go to System Preferences -> Network -> Tools (geal symbol) drop down -> Manage Virtual Interfaces -> +........I see two options for "New Vlan" and "New Link Aggregate." I don't see an option for 'Bridge".

Is there any way I can make this work and feed the BDP-1 directly by the iMac? I'm running 10.8.5 on Late 2009 iMac.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

Power: Torus (main) + Teradak (network)

Source: Bryston BDP-1 w/ Roon

DAC: Dangerous Source (Teradak 12V13A) + Emotiva DC-1

Amp: Amphion Amp100 + Marantz PM6004

Speakers: Amphion One15 + Mackie HR 824 Mk1

Headphones: Audeze LCD-2C + Denon AH-D2000 + HD 598 + KRK KNS 8400

34 minutes ago, austinpop said:

I have never implemented bridging using MacOS, so unfortunately cannot help. I hope someone who's done it on MacOS can jump in.

Just curious - why are you still on Mountain Lion and not current - on High Sierra?

Yeah I hope someone with the knowledge can help me out. It shouldn't be too hard?

In the past I have had higher OS X (10.9 and above) running on the computer and it'd get slow. It's a Core Duo 2 processor so that might be slowing it down. I have upgraded the RAM to 12 GB. I rebooted it and fresh installed Snow Leopard, which worked great. I then upgraded it to Mountain Lion which has also been working flawlessly.

I don't know if there was something else wrong with the computer at the time when I initially upgraded the OS (Mavericks, Yosemite). I've been hesitant to upgrade the OS again and having to go through fresh install again and setup everything again.

Hi, @tapatrick

I did read that earlier. The problem is that on 10.8, I don't see the option for choosing a new bridge.

In the mean time, I got it working on my MacBook Pro using a combination of USB-ethernet (router) and Thunderbolt-ethernet adapter (for connection to BDP-1).

So I was able to connect the MacBook Pro directly with the BDP-1. Testing it out now. Have a Cat6 and a Cat 6A SSTP for the connection to BDP-1.

Let's see how it holds up in comparison to my connection via the network switch powered by LPS, which is already isolated along with the spare router from the internet and other devices.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

For those running bridged connection on a Mac with both ethernet port and thunderbolt port (w/ Apple's Thunderbolt-Ethernet Adapter), have you compared between these two for feeding the network audio component?

I know the Apple's Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter has Broadcom 57762 controller. I'm not sure how it compares to the ethernet implementation. I'd love to know if you've made the comparison and on which computer and other details. 

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

For ethernet cables, try using Cat6 UTP (anything generic that's been Fluke tested and passed or even something like Belden bonded Cat6 UTP) for each link and to keep each link LONG, not short. You can get 10 meters Cat 6 UTP for around $10. Even if the length is not required, simply coil it and keep it on the ground. If some of the runs are naturally long, don't worry about changing those. However, if you have a switch that you keep nearby that you keep in the listening room beside the rack with a 1-2 meter cable, try changing that for a 10+ish meter Cat6 UTP.  Do that before spending something crazy on expensive cables or if you find ethernet cables sound different in your system.

Keep each chain long, and try to get used to the sound over a week. Initially, with the longer cables, you might think they are losing detail or things are dull/grainy or even too relaxed sounding. Pay attention to the image and what's happening to the plane of the music. Go back a week later and throw in the previous cables.

Of course, any shielded cable that is grounded on either end will be modulating the ground plane. Pick any cable that is UTP or shielded (Cat 6a S/STP or Cat7) that is floating on both ends or even a floating Audioquest or whatever at short lengths and then compare to a standard well made Cat6 UTP 10m+ in long-term listening.