IGNORED

Equipmentless (almost) listening room

Not everyone has the luxury of a dedicated listening room but I have a general question: For those who do have such a room would it make sense to have only the speakers in the room with the speaker cables passing through a sound-proof pass-through such as the one from ASC? Has anyone tried this? It seems to me this would be beneficial because none of the equipment would be subject to the sound waves generated by the speakers. This seems to me to be the ultimate isolation, forget the cones or spikes!

Also, I have seen photos of a few listening rooms where the equipment is surrounded by sound absorbing materials and was wondering if this was any good.

Just thinking.....(bad, bad, bad!)

Jim

I did that once (mainly for space reasons when I lived in a small house) - you need a receptor for remote signals

But are the sound waves generated by the speakers a problem for the equipment????

an attenuated level of vibration will still be present as the house structure itself will couple to any place you put the equipment, esp. for bass

I've had my equipment on a shelf in the room next to our living room, with the speaker wires run under the house, for years. I still use anti vibration methods on pretty much everything. It seems like a no brainier to me—the common placement of equipment racks centered between speakers, on the rear wall, has always seemed a real compromise. The only downside used to be needing to walk a bit further to flip the disc over, but with CA I did seem to be wandering from room to room more often—until I started running things from my iPad, and now I only get up for more refreshments.

Not everyone has the luxury of a dedicated listening room but I have a general question: For those who do have such a room would it make sense to have only the speakers in the room with the speaker cables passing through a sound-proof pass-through such as the one from ASC? Has anyone tried this? It seems to me this would be beneficial because none of the equipment would be subject to the sound waves generated by the speakers. This seems to me to be the ultimate isolation, forget the cones or spikes!

Also, I have seen photos of a few listening rooms where the equipment is surrounded by sound absorbing materials and was wondering if this was any good.

Just thinking.....(bad, bad, bad!)

I would if I could. Vibration is an issue in this hobby.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Looking solely at the computer in computer audiophile, yes for a few reasons. Vibration and noise reduction for sure. There are other environmental concerns like the amount of heat a computer and all its parts put off when running hard. Ideal ventilation and exhaust rarely happen wedged into a small spot in a room quickly growing much hotter than the surrounding parts of the house. Expand this to take in a few more boxes in close quarters and there is room for improvement in some regards.

As neatly mentioned above a thoughtful relocation would be key. Houses are not constructed as purpose built studios. Simply moving the works 2' backwards behind a wall might not solve anything. Isolation, ventilation, and coordination all need to improve considerably to realize any gains. You need to assess whether any of those are even possible in your situation before undertaking any amount of activity lest it prove detrimental to reliability and livability. The hard truth here is you could get stymied just by recabling or the bane of old houses, wireless signal.