IGNORED

UltraCap™ LPS-1 LISTENING IMPRESSIONS thread

WOW! Quite honestly, I was expecting the LPS-1 to make perhaps a subtle improvement powering my uRendu. But I was wrong! The improvement is anything but subtle. I'm hearing much more clarity, micro-detail, much more realism... it's scary.

I was using an El Cheapo LPS powering the uRendu and I have a very nice fiber network and I've been very happy with the overall sound. But wow... the LPS-1 really takes it up another level. It's the real deal!

At the moment, I'm using the Mean Well SMPS to power the LPS-1 and here are some notes I took as I listened to the same set of tracks that I just listened to 20 minutes prior to connecting the LPS-1:

Details in the attack and decay are much more prominent - very real sounding. Bass is deeper, vocals are much more clear, and it seems like the overall volume is increased. I have my DAC set to the same volume level as I did before connecting the LPS-1 and I had to turn it down.

On tracks that have vocal passages that are indistinct are now much easier to hear, much more defined. The guitar on Back to Tupelo by Mark Knopfler sounds so incredibly real... it's really quite amazing!

I'm just going to quote the above because these would have been my exact words. I was also using an El Cheapo, have fiber running to the microRendu, and am presently using the Mean Well to power the LPS-1.

Remarkable the improvement from the LPS-1.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

• 1 month later...
For the first time I actually understand the meaning of the term "digital hash". I understand it because it is gone.

(snip)

I was actually on my way to invest in an expensive AC power conditioner like Audioquest Niagara 7000 or Shunyata Research etc. (I currently have a PS Audio Dectet), but I don't feel the need for that type of investment anymore...

I had the same reaction to the LPS-1 as you did. Remarkable product - especially given the price.

I recently also added a Shunyata Denali D6000/S. This delivered an astounding improvement. You are most likely listening through a lot of noise now - and until you hear it stripped away you won't realize how bad it is. The Denali plus Shunyata cords greatly improved dynamics too.

The LPS-1 has given you a really good taste of what better power can do. Now imagine those benefits multiplied across the rest of your components and dialed up a good amount. That's roughly what you'd get with a Denali.

(I tried a Dectet at one point but thought it did some harm so I sent it back.)

Sorry to go off-topic here, I just thought that since I recently made both moves it might be of value to share this here.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Hey kennyb123

Sorry to go off topic for a sec but what power chord did you use for your Denali. I'm thinking of adding the 2000t to my system

The 20 amp version of the Shunyata Alpha HC, as recommended by Grant at Shunyata. Alpha HC cords also feed my preamp and amp.

• 1 month later...
Yet another significant improvement in SQ is gained. Clarity and presence is off the charts with much richer tone and timber.

This little device, and an adjustment to ASIO buffers(8192) and latency settings(low, not minimum) for dsd512 on the microIDSD has taken things to a crazy good level. Indeed it's one of those you've got to listen to every album you own again type tweaks.

Thanks for the advice Alex!

I purchased one of those plugs immediately after seeing Alex post the link. I didn't try it directly between LPS-1 and microRendu until tonight. I had been using it with a Y-cable that allowed me to power both the microRendu and an FMC.

I'm equally floored by the improvement in clarity, presence and tone. Thanks for sharing your findings lmitche. And thanks also to Alex for the pointer.

Kenny B, nice to hear you were able to duplicate the success of this little "tweaklet" ! This is one of those tweaks that drives me crazy by reducing my confidence that I understand how this stuff works. This one is so simple and so profound and was discovered completely by accident.

So strange!

This one definitely had me shaking my head in disbelief. How could that little barrel adapter make such a difference? Of course I was using a Y-cable prior to this, so maybe that was doing me no good?

• 3 weeks later...
Ok, this may sound silly, but does this barrow connecter go from out of the power supply to the input of LPS-1 or does it got out of the LPS-1 into the input of the mR?

It goes between LPS-1 and microRendu.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

• 4 months later...
13 hours ago, Narcissus said:

Can someone please comment on, powering both An IR and a uR/SMS 200 using a Y-DC cable via the LPS-1 will / will not result in any kind of degradation of the SQ as opposed to both the units being powered discretely via LPS 1? 

I tried powering the IR and uR from the LPS-1 with a Y-cable, but didn't like what I heard.  I reported my findings in the IR listening observations thread. Basically there was a loss of low end heft/slam.  Swapping in a separate supply restored and even improved upon the low end.

The Y-cable I used was a cheap one I purchased from Amazon.  Cheap enough to experiment on your own.  That's what I encourage everyone to do because we may each come away with different impressions.

i should point out that a while back I tried the same Y-cable to power the uR and an FMC from the LPS-1.  It degraded the performance there too.

Ghent Audio lists really nice Y-cable option for a fair price.  Results might be better with this cable:  https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/dc11.html