IGNORED

UltraCap™ LPS-1 LISTENING IMPRESSIONS thread

I got my Uptone package this week (LPS-1, ISO Regen and USPCB). To get a really good feel for the contribution each makes to my system I've decided to introduce the package one piece at a time, starting with the LPS-1 plugged directly into a separate outlet (not part of my dedicated circuit) using the shipped Meanwell SMPS and powering the (amber) Regen at 7V (Regen was previously powered by the big JS-1 LPS!!!!!

So far I've got about 72 continuous hours on the LPS-1 and am very pleased with the improvement in my sound. Lower noise floor, better dynamics, fuller and better resolved soundstage (especially from the midrange DOWN) and a more natural sound overall (listen to a well-recorded solo piano). Much more even representation of notes - beginning, middle and trailing edge. A slight upper frequency roughness I used to hear from time to time has vanished. With the bottom half of the sound spectrum somewhat more potent I had to back off the output of my sub by about half a millimeter. Bass is now tighter, more articulate. Overall it's like something sucked out the 'noise' and left the music.

So far, even before I get to listen to my IR, I'd say that having the LPS-1 powering the old Regen has made a major contribution to improving my sound (YMMV of course). This has made me think that if I had to decide which to buy first, the LPS-1 or the IR, I would go first for the LPS-1 (especially for DAC-facing low power devices). It seems foundational - potentially transformative even!

Having said all that I should point out that, after 30+ years in this hobby I am fanatical about isolating my equipment, which would have contributed to my above experience. Right now I'm using the Barry Diament-promoted roller bearings concept under all my hardware. In my experience these make a major contribution to a low noise floor, helps remove a grayness that sometimes prevents the music from standing out from its background; the music becomes better resolved (in my system).

I'll be back when I plug up the IR. Alex tells me I'm in for another treat. I say bring it on.

Source: Intel i3 NUC/fanless/Euphony/Ext SSD) JS-2;

DAC: Mojo Mystique V2/Regen /LPS1.2;Curious USB

Preamp: Music First Audio passive V2/ Morrow cables

Amp: Sanders Electrostatic; Mapleshade power cable

Speakers: Magneplanar 1.7/Hsu vTF2 sub/Room 27x15'  

Misc: eR; extensive anti-vibration; 1.7's on Herbie's footers

Thanks Rickca. Looking forward to the IR, but want to see first when the sound of the LPS-1 will stop improving. Will probably give it 200 hours.

Frojo, 

The main reason for using the supplied Meanwell (as opposed to the JS-2) was three-fold:

1. As I understand Alex, the type of energizing supply feeding the LPS-1 is pretty much irrelevant to its performance; 

2. Yes, I'm sure the SMPS is putting some garbage back onto the power line, but the rest of my system is on a separate dedicated circuit;

3. I had been running three devices from the JS-2, my Aires (femto), the Regen and an external SSD and I found that when I removed the split cable (even after the Regen was removed but the cable was still in place), the sound was tidier. For me what this means is that I will probably not be using the split cable again any time soon. I may even get another LPS-1 for the Music SSD (it's one 1TB).

Let me know what you think.

What's next? The IR, of course. Think I may even cut the run-in time for the LPS-1 to 100 hours...so standby.

Alex,
Nice little exercise. I have no doubt the IR will be transformational in my system. That's been the tone of most of the CA feedback I've seen (though by using the LPS-1 throughout your own experiment you tacitly agree with me that this power supply is foundational). Based on what I've heard so far from the LPS-1 in my system I would find it hard to believe that its substantial attributes will not help the IR to perform closer to its full potential, especially with both devices coming from the same brilliant Uptone minds.

I would be preaching to the converted if I went on about the importance of robust, fast, ultra clean power to the performance of high end hi fi kit. From my vantage point that's what the LPS-1 brings to the table for low power devices (I may even get a second one). By way of comparison, the LPS-1 feeding the amber Regen produced more of an improvement in my system than I got when I swapped out the Aires power supply for the JS-2 (this is not a criticism of the JS-2; it performed much better than the stock Aires LPS, but may have needed this cleaner music source to show its full colors).

And to be clear, in my earlier post I wasn't putting down the IR, since it's still in the box it came in. If all goes well, I will hear it for the first time this week. Then I'll be back.

In this discussion of what I'm hearing it's vital to remember that my experiences are based only on my system; the actual hardware, how its mounted/connected/configured/cabled and of course the room.

Besides my obsession with equipment isolation I mentioned before, I pay a lot of attention to the power feeding the various pieces. I use a dedicated power point (with Mapleshade's $69 'ultra minimalist AC duplex outlet' replacing the standard receptacle), with one side of it feeding the 350 WPC Sanders amp directly, the other outlet connects the balanced power unit (BPU).

The multi-outlet BPU feeds the DAC and the JS-2, which powers the Aires and SSD. Except on the amp, each AC plug is floated, with its final orientation determined by ear. The separate duplex outlet powering the subwoofer also has a Shunyata Venom Defender noise reduction dongle plugged in as well. And my system runs 24/7 - everything - unless we expect bad weather, when it's all plugged out.

My last concern is that cables are properly "dressed" as the folks in England would say...not touching each other, not being too close and parallel, speaker cables off the floor etc. It all adds up.

Right now I am looking forward to testing Alex's assertion that the Regen sounds "broken" in comparison to the ISO REGEN. Hopefully by this time in the coming week I'll be able to offer my 2 cents.

Charente, your question is a good one; many variables to consider, including the relative performance of your DAC via SPDIF IN compared with USB IN. If Alex is right that the IR is his most significant product to date, it could well be that you can expect improved sound by adding the IR (remember it's only for USB DAC Iinputs).

I plan to add my IR to the LPS-1 tonight and will report in a few days what I hear.

In the meantime I am not surprised to hear that you got a bump in sound quality by running your DDC from the LPS-1. I really think this LPS is a quiet game-changer for these low power devices. I feel certain we will hear more stories similar to yours about the LPS-1 if it's used appropriately.

Congratulations, MikeyFresh. And score one more for the LPS-1.

Well the ISO Regen has been running for a little under 24 hours now, fed by the LPS-1 (powered by the Meanwell) and so far the sound is gorgeous. Very refined.

At this stage I would multiply all I've written about the LPS-1 by two to describe the two together...even lower noise floor, excellent dynamics, even fuller sound with much more of each note's nuances, longer lingering trails on appropriately recorded tracks, articulate and maybe slightly deeper bass. The overall sound is intensely musical. Even after just about 22 hours it's more like if I had a major preamp or power amp upgrade.

I'll wait to see if all gets even better in the next 3 or four days. Even if it doesn't I'm happy (and I haven't yet added the USPCB to replace the short Curious).

• 1 year later...