IGNORED

dac+preamp $2000 second hand what are my options?

updated this message to show new choices I found after doing some research

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum although not to the subject. My name is Anouk and I am from the Netherlands. I have been active in computer audio for a few years now, i bought my first real 2.0 system 1.5 years ago, it consists of a primare 31.2 2x120w poweramp and audio physic yara ii classic speakers. I had it connected to my computer using my headphone amps which also functioned as preamp and as dac (i have owned the headroom ultra desktop and the meier-audio corda symphony) because I am mainly a headphone listener this suited me well.

Recently though I decided to go with a stax setup but the amps for stax headphones dont have a built-inb dac nor can you use them as preamp so here came my problems. I now need an external dac and preferrably one that can also function as a preamp. I heard from people I could also use a passive preamp or volume control but I would prefer to use a dac for all this.

I discovered that, while there are many dacs there are very few that can be used as preamp as well.

1. the apogee minidac firewire (would be nice, i own a mac which has only 2 usb connectors so it would be good to use that firewire port)

2. benchmark dac 1 pre or hdr (if the difference between those models is only the remote control thn i will go with the pre in a heartbeat, i dont need a remote control and I would gladly save 200 dollars).

3. bel canto dac3 (I can have this dac modified by underwood hifi so htat it will be even better).

4. lavry da11 (not sure if this one is as good as the benchmark or the belcanto and I dont need its headphone functionality).

5. cyrus dac xp (seems to be a very good choice, i think it has two times optical, new it would be a bit above my pricerange but I am searching on ebay).

6. psaudio perfectwave (does seem to have a lot of functions htat I dont need but I am looking into it).

7. overdrive dac (still need to find more info about that one)

There dont seem to be any other options for me that I can find but if you know of any let me know.

I am also not at all sure which of the above to choose. My laptop can accept usb optical or firewire but optical only if the unit has two optical inputs because i need to connect my digital tv receiver optically as well.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Greetings, Anouk

Hello, thanks for your reply, for me the bel canto dac3 and the benchmark dac1 are the number 1 and 2 choices respectively. Looking forward to the new dac3 version. Will you be doing a comparative review? I hope you will be able to test its preamp functionality.

Thanks again,

Greetings, Anouk

Hi Anouk,

For $2k I picked up a used Bryston B60 integrated amp ($500) and will soon be ordering a Metric Halo ULN2 DAC ($1,500). I have a MacPro (09 Nehalem) which will be the server. I plan to use a firewire cable from the Mac to the DAC, and then interconnects from the DAC to the Bryston amp. Speaker cables will run from the Bryston to a pair of Paradigm Reference Studio 60's (version 3) (bought used, like new for $900). That's it - total cost of audio components = $3,000.

The low end of the high end as they say :-)

If needed, a good subwoofer and/or high quality interconnects may be added - we'll see.

The only thing I question is the capability of the 8 year old Bryston amp (still has 12 years of warranty). The B60 was highly regarded in its day, but I don't know how it will interface with the newer technology of the Metric Halo DAC. I am anticipating a good result. It's also nice that the Metric Halo can be used for high quality recording.

Of course, I will post how things turn out...

*I have been lurking and absorbing for a while, and this is my first post. Any thoughts or suggestions are readily accepted :-)

THANK YOU...Chris, Gordon, Barry, et al....for all of the excellent information that you all post and for sharing your expertise with the rest of the world - it is much appreciated!!!

Sincerely,

Scott

Mac Pro 09 Nehalem with SSD boot drive>firewire cable>Metric Halo ULN2> Kimber interconnects with RCA to TRS adapters>Bryston integrated amp>Kimber Kables>Paradigm Reference Studio 60\'s V.3 (bi-wired) speakers.

Hello, I am quite happy with the poweramp that I currently have, there is nothing wrong with it, even if there was it isnt excactly easy to sell because it is very big and very heavy so not something you sell over the internet. The only thing is, its not an integrated amp so it will need a preamp of some kind.

Thanks,

Greetings, Anouk

Anouk,

I am currently running my ULN-2 directly into my First Watt J2 power amp, with no preamp.

I was a bit skittish at first, due to no 'real world' (read physical) volume control, but I use Amarra's dithered volume control, OR, more often, the MIO (Metric Halo's full-on DAW software) volume control. Both are software-based. I also use the Proton in hot-rod mode (i.e. no preamp), it has a linkage to it's analog volume control from the computer's volume control.

Actually, the ULN-2 DOES have a real world volume control, but only for it's Monitor (read headphone) Outputs. Some have said that this output is not as transparent as direct, although it will certainly be more transparent than some preamps, I'm sure.

cheers,

clay

Hello, interesting! I am afraid though to do this because i dont want my amp to blow up andI dont like software ovlume controls especially since i will be using it not ust with speakers but with headphones as well I always read that its best to use a dac with 100% software volume. Anyway this amp cost me 180 euro and I dont want to risk blowing it up by not using a preamp.

Interesting that it works though.

Greetings, Anouk