IGNORED

HOLO Audio Spring DAC - R2R DSD512

Bunpei (and Greg), very cool.

1) I assume by reading the DIY thread that the I2S HDMI is the PS Audio "standard"?

2) What would it cost (US$) to build one for me? :) ......seriously (I could care less about case, esthetics)

3) after doing more reading I now realize (doh!) that this is over 5 years old. Any changes since then? Any used ones on the market; not sure what its called in common parlance, and sdtrans 384? Any different uses of the sd card input (like daisy chaining or anything)?

I'll be curious to your opinion after trying SDXC card. Do be sure to use class 10. Also on the horizon is PCIE attached SSD, haven't seen any reviews yet to indicate if it can provide the same "lens quality" improvement for detail that USB3 attached SDXC has over SATA attached SSD.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, TubeDriver said:

My Holo Spring popped its fuse overnight at some point last night.   It is connected to a 15A Bryston Balanced Power Supply with series mode surge protection.  It has a 2A fuse but I notice that Kitsune USA is selling a hifi fuse for the Holo Spring with a 4A value?  My unit is running at 120v, does anyone know what the correct fuse value is?

I notice the DAC operation data on the website lists 220v at 2A, so I would think it should be a 4A fuse for 120v operation?  Have I been using an undervalued fuse for a year now?

2A 250v slowblow?  4A 250 slowblow?   Thanks.

It should say on the back of the unit what the fuse value is or in your owners manual. Slowblow fuses are for amps, I've never seen one used in a DAC. Its a lot cheaper to replace

a fuse than repair a DAC... if you can't find clear documentation using the same fuse value is best way to protect your warranty.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 3 years later...
9 hours ago, wanta911 said:

I just tried updating the firmware with 31.40, I followed all the instructions with level changes to get into configuration mode but it didn't work when I executed the bat file.

File not found

Start updating firmware with and 'xprog' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Update firmware failed.

I suspect that you will be asked what version of Windows is on the laptop

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/13/2022 at 12:17 PM, Luis Cesar Saiz said:

Spring 3 KTE is "in da house" :D since a few weeks ago. Burn-in period with a Tellurium Burning CD and wav files extracted from this CD, around 60 hours of burning (with 15 hours aprox in 3 different sessions of listening to music).

Relaxed and enjoyable presentation... some doubts arise though... no sure if it is because of lack of burn-in or because it is its sound... and need a May KTE... 

Anyway always my feet start to dance with every song played via usb or CD., which is a very good thing.

I would suspect that the KTE has surpassed the limits of a Macbook pro and that a purpose built audio server is the wiser next move. In the FWIW column,

I have a Linn Genki CDP and an Oppo 103, an Intel NUC running HQPlayer or Euphony Stylus easily betters them feeding same  external DAC.

The usual suspects for music servers are Aurender, Innuos and Lumin.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/2/2022 at 11:01 AM, Luis Cesar Saiz said:

Woa!! I did not realize it was so huge then,....
I dunno if you have tried May KTE and if it affects the same way in the highs or are better portrayed. 
I'll get your recommendation and this weekend I'll play PCM via HQP with this rates 

Cheers

Do be careful to listen for timbre vs detail... thats the trade off I find in going from native rate to oversampled

Regards,

Dave

Audio system