IGNORED

HOLO Audio Spring DAC - R2R DSD512

Larry, to be frank I can't find any native DSD Linux implementation (via, say, microRendu) that doesn't have loud pops at the start of playing any DSD format, whether upsampled or not. If the player (HQPlayer in my case) doesn't stop, then all is fine after the first pop (which i control via volume for the first few seconds). I've told everyone I know about this but no one seems to have a fix. If I find other songs to play I add then to the end. I pretty much stay in DSD512 mode, but invariably I have to stop the playback for some reason, and am used to it enough to remember to turn down the volume at the start again.

My DAC (TPA Buffalo III SE) with the JLSounds USB board does not suffer from loud pops when playing native DSD via Linux, in my case microRendu.

I used to have this problem (actually I got the loud pop after an album had finsihed, not at the start) when I was forced to use DoP but the latest firmware for the USB board solved all "pop" related issues whether native DSD or DoP versions and provided support for native DSD (no more DoP).

On some albums, I will get a slick "tick" between tracks.

• 1 month later...
If I understand it correctly it is the manufacturers (Auralic) that need to find the fix rather the DAC manufacturers (Holo Audio Spring)? The Auralic Aries plays DSD64/DSD128 (Default is DoP) with no problem; no pop or click sound. The moment it just about to start playing DSD256 (Default is Native) a loud pop sound happened. If one pause and start playing again, a loud pop can be heard.

Not sure how all this works but in my DIY DAC, I have a USB board from JLSounds which supports Linux which is common OS for many boxes like Auralic and uRendu.

At first, I had a earlier JLSounds USB board that did not support native DSD (non-DoP) so I had to use DoP. With that board revision, I had loud pops so it was a problem with their DoP implementation. From what I know, it has to do with muting the signal while the DAC (USB board) makes the switch from PCM to DSD and/or vise versa.

About a year or so ago, JLSounds updated their board (firmware) to include native DSD as well as better support for Linux. As part of that process, JLSounds had to submit their firmware (?) to the Linux guys at GitHub. You can see that Holo DAC was added on August 21.

Currently, I can play native DSD up to DSD256 without any issues. Well not exactly, I still have very slight clicks between tracks on a very limited number of albums.

You still need to make sure that the version of Linux is being used by Auralic, uRendu, etc. includes this update. Also, the DAC (USB board) has the proper firmware.

• 2 years later...

Several years ago, I had the "pop" noise when switching between DSD and PCM. The problem was eventually traced to the USB interface board on my DAC. I also understand that Amanero USB board, which is very popular, has had the same issue. To narrow it down even further, the problem was when the USB boards are connected to Linux sources like the Rendu streamers. Curious if this SDcard player is Linux based.

The guys at JL Sounds which produce my USB board got the problem solved in their firmware. I updated my board and the problem was solved. I believe that Amanero has since gotten the problem fixed.

Sounds like perhaps the I2S board might be causing the issue here.

• 4 months later...
4 hours ago, barrows said:

I am fine with using HQP volume control, as long as there is no risk of it going to full scale via a computer software glitch.  In fact I would prefer such as a digital VC with good implementation is superior to any analog VC, and also means a little less noise in the DAC (most resistor ladder volume controls switched by relays, use a microprocessor to handle controlling them).

I have been using a Goldpoint passive preamp for VC of Holo Cyan (DSD only) but you guys inspired me to try the HQP VC. The Cyan is now connected directly to my Ncore amps (Goldpoint removed).

Really liking what I am hearing so far.

I set the the limits on the HQP volume at -20 dBFS max & -60 dBFS min. Right now volume is at a comfortable -38 dBFS which is about 1 o’clock position of HQP knob although I am using Roon to adjust volume.